Twisted Metal Creator Announces Next Game

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Twisted Metal Creator Announces Next Game

Drawn to Death is an arena shooter set inside a 14-year-old's notebook.

David Jaffe probably best known for his work on the Twisted Metal and God of War series, but today at the PlayStation Experience keynote he announced an entirely new project: Drawn to Death, an arena shooter that takes place inside a 14-year-old's notebook. Developed by The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency, where Jaffe serves as Game Director, "the game takes place inside the notebook of a very creative teenage kid; it's a violent and bizarre landscape filled with all of the weird, amazing, passionate, and exciting fantasies that are swimming around in the head of our teenage artist."

"MAN it feels great to be back with my Sony family!" Jaffe said of the game in a PlayStation blog post [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/12/06/introducing-drawn-death-ps4-arena-shooter-david-jaffe/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter]. He described Drawn to Death as an old-school arena shooter with a modern twist, and you can see just how that plays out in the announcement trailer.

Drawn to Death is currently in pre-alpha, so it will be a while before we see the finished product. No release window has been announced, but Drawn to Death will be coming to the PS4 whenever The Bartley Jones Supernatural Detective Agency releases it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Not gonna lie, I think the concept is actually pretty unique and interesting. I've played plenty of arena shooters, but setting it inside a notebook is an interesting twist for sure. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this one, simply because the premise alone has me interested.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Yeah, I'm not interested. That art-style looks like it would get REALLY grating after a few hours of play and the general feel of it seems as childish as DmC and as "lolsorandom" as Sunset Overdrive. It's a neat concept, but the execution seems very lacking.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
That music is from Jak X: Combat Racing!

Always good to see a shooter that's not rar military rar we take ourselves seriously rar.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I dunno.. I get the concept, but I thought it looked terrible. Maybe everything will be tightened up later on since it's supposedly quite far from being done but everything from the art style to the gameplay totally turned me off in it's current incarnation.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
There's some neat stuff in there but jeez is it hard to look at.

Good to see Jaffe is getting more work, though.

C.TYR

Dec 30, 2013
As neat as this all is, once again, this isn't pre-alpha. This looks closer to beta, if anything.
Hell, pre-alpha as a term is used so incorrectly, nowadays. Pre-alpha would mean we're looking at a bunch of concept art and code lines, not this well put-together gameplay.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
ShirowShirow said:
That music is from Jak X: Combat Racing!
Ahhh thankyou mysterious sirdude! Weeks i have been trying to remember the name of that incredible game!! Have an...er, karma pod of positive emotions :)

OT. Sounds like a cool style. Would be nice to see it used for a genre with more creative gameplay though. But i guess they wanna go with the whole juxtaposition thing. Like cute animals killing bloodily, the novelty can wear off pretty quickly without the variety to fuel it.

Insanity_Incarnate

Feb 9, 2014
C.TYR said:
As neat as this all is, once again, this isn't pre-alpha. This looks closer to beta, if anything.
Hell, pre-alpha as a term is used so incorrectly, nowadays. Pre-alpha would mean we're looking at a bunch of concept art and code lines, not this well put-together gameplay.
I always assume what they mean when they say pre-alpha is that they banged together this section as a proof of concept but that not enough of the game is complete to constitute a true alpha code.