TWiSTEDmerc, the new guy

TWiSTEDmerc

Nov 4, 2011
Welcome stranger;

For the past couple of days, I've been wrapping my head around the Escapist community section and I've discovered something ubiquitously rare, this site has a decent community section. I am TWiSTEDmerc and I am a blogger; a fish in a pond trying to get some views and comments with reviews, top # lists, and special articles. I've wrote for some other sites and provided I get some feedback, I'll keep on blogging.

?Gabe Logan is one of my favorite characters and he really recaptures my ideal characterization?

I suppose the only good way to introduce me to you folks, is to give an abridged history of myself, TWiSTEDmerc... In 2008, I had finally decided to speak my opinion on a plethora of games I had played, what I was seeing in the industry, and was coming of it. I first joined GameSpot because I had been using it to look up scores, guides, cheats, and news updates; but there just wasn't much reception. I then joined ScrewAttack, because of its emphasis on the community and the results seemed to show with a strong community involvement and an enjoyable, random personality. They are the home of the Angry Video Game Nerd, DEATH BATTLE!, and various media productions for GameTrailers.com.

Earlier this year, ScrewAttack hauled its site over and made some serious changes; I and other users found it to be drastically harder to get views and ratings with the changes they implemented. I tried for a bit but there was seemingly very, very little collective community involvement. I went to Giant Bomb, a site with a brilliant personality but a very questionable community section (it also appears that there?s a lot of douche-like individuals). Again, I tried with Giant Bomb but it just didn?t seem to work; I even made what I figured to be funny a video (I usually just blog). I regularly visited The Escapist just for Zero Punctuation and after a while the idea of blogging here became a good idea? So I hope I?m right.

-Link removed by Mod
?A bit of illustrated randomness that stems from the nonsense podcasts of Giant Bomb?

I formed my username from 2 separate franchises; one is from Twisted Metal, the king of car combat that I still enjoy to this day. The other is Mercenaries, my first experience with total open-world destruction. I settled on the name, TWiSTEDmerc because I find the idea of being a Merc interesting as it captures the idea of being a venturing patriot and I find having a somewhat twisted mindset unique (as in style similar to Yahtzee?s). Well, I got a lot more to say about loads of games but I?m all out of time so for the time, I?m signing off.

TWiSTEDmerc asks, ?What inspired you to decide what your username would be? Also, is any video embedding supported? ?

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Why are you welcoming me as a stranger, when you're the stranger? Oh I get it, you're viewing this as a complete over take of the escapist for your blog you've been pushing.

Well, first off, welcome.

That out of the way, this community doesn't care about individual blogs and gets very annoyed when people try to push them on us. Mods quickly bring down punishment when they feel users are advertising. It makes sense. This isn't your site, you're not getting payed by them, nor are they getting payed by you.

Also, it seems like the Merc title is very suiting. You're essentially a mercenary, trying to peddle your blog on different communities with little success. You haven't had a warm reception anywhere, so you'll drift around on the internet to get those views. You never make connections with the communities due to your own personal goals and not the goals of the community.

Anyways, if you want to add anything to this community without looking for this community to add to you, enjoy your time here.

OT: 1)MC Chris. 2)Nice veil. I will not bite.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Yeah, I don't mean to be rude, but we really don't care about your blogging. It's also against the rules to advertise it anywhere other than your profile. But welcome anyway.

And to embed videos, put [ youtube= characters after the = in the video url ] without the spaces.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
TWiSTEDmerc said:
Yeah sorry, the other users are right. You're not really allowed to advertise your own stuff in threads on here. There is space on your profile for that though.

I won't punish you, 'cause you're new. You should try reading This thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.112832-The-Banhammer-and-You-A-Users-Guide-to-the-Forums] though, and the official forum rules when you get a chance.

On a lighter note, welcome to the Escapist! >.>

TWiSTEDmerc

Nov 4, 2011
I don't mean to offend anyone or get into trouble, I'm just looking to share my opinion and be entertaining every-so-often; I just have a couple of questions:
-Am I allowed to link to any videos at all to help inform somebody? I like to issue reviews and include videos other users may have made to help explain what I am saying.
-Am I allowed to upload any video I create even for the Escapist? I'd be more than willing to upload a video through The Escapist and host it here but I haven't seen that being available. -Am I even allowed to upload my own images to this site?
-I noticed my topic got moved; if I'm trying to write a top 10 where should it go? 'User reviews' because I'm doing a bunch of comparative evaluations or 'off-topic discussion'?

Thanks for the advice

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
TWiSTEDmerc said:
I don't mean to offend anyone or get into trouble, I'm just looking to share my opinion and be entertaining every-so-often; I just have a couple of questions:
-Am I allowed to link to any videos at all to help inform somebody? I like to issue reviews and include videos other users may have made to help explain what I am saying.
-Am I allowed to upload any video I create even for the Escapist? I'd be more than willing to upload a video through The Escapist and host it here but I haven't seen that being available. -Am I even allowed to upload my own images to this site?
-I noticed my topic got moved; if I'm trying to write a top 10 where should it go? 'User reviews' because I'm doing a bunch of comparative evaluations or 'off-topic discussion'?

Thanks for the advice
Hi TWiSTEDmerc, Welcome to The Escapist!

We allow video embedding from Youtube by using the ["youtube"=Number-After-Equals-Sign-In-URL] BBcode.

e.g.

Video reviews are allowed in the User Reviews forum and also your Top 10's should go there too. Essentially all user-generated content goes there apart from Art/Literature/Music which goes in Off-Topic.

As to whether you're allowed to blog here, well although we encourage user-generated content we'd like it to be relevant, topical and open to discussion. So please don't blog about your daily life but feel free to make threads about a topic and delineate your opinion.

Enjoy your time here, and if you have any questions just ask a moderator or another user. There are various forum guides which will help you out too which are stickied in their respective forums.

~Sev

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom

Welcome to the Escapist. Just mull around, get a feel for the place and of course, post some of your reviews in the User review section as well, we always welcome new reviewers there as the place is pretty much a ghost town. (Only forum section slower then User reviews is the Job Board. :p)

Have fun here.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Welcome!
If you haven't realised it yet, then you're doomed. Doomed to stay here forever! Just like myself.
On a slightly less sarcastic note, there's a User Group for everything... well nearly, but shut up I'm trying to make a point here! My point is that there are always like-minded individuals on this site to share thoughts and wisdom with. Enjoy yourself.

Have fun! And have some ponies;

You thought I posted ponies didn't you? I lied!

Sorry, I'm in a strange mood today.

Keep calm, don't blink and remember that bow ties are cool.