Twitch Arrives on Xbox Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Twitch Arrives on Xbox Live

Xbox 360 Gold subscribers now have access to 300 of the most popular Twitch channels on the tubes.

If what you want to do is watch other people play videogames, then Twitch.tv [http://www.twitch.tv/] is where you want to be. More than 800,000 people stream gameplay content on the service and more than 34 million watch it every month, and that number is about to take a big jump.

Major Nelson announced today that Microsoft has rolled out the Twitch For Xbox Live app, which brings the streaming service to Xbox Live Gold subscribers. That's right, you can now use your videogame console to watch other people play on their videogame consoles. That's kind of weirdly meta, isn't it?

Twitch For Xbox Live will offer 300 of the most popular streams on the service, although you'll have to grab the app to find out which ones. Twitch will also be offering an exclusive broadcast following the May 21 reveal of the next Xbox console at 3 pm EDT, hosted by Major Nelson. The app is available now from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2013/05/14/twitch-app-comes-to-xbox/]

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Wow, an application that I'd actually use.. Well, maybe once every few months.. Well, better than nothing.. Ehhhhh

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
An app I'd be interested in, Microsoft?

And it's only available in America, apparently.

Well fuck you too, Microsoft.

You know what, I wouldn't find it as galling if everyone else on Earth weren't paying more than the average American, and getting a shitload less stuff than them at the same time.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Do you need Xbox live to access the general internet? If not, why not, I don't know, watch the streams for free by using the system's browser?

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Micalas said:
Do you need Xbox live to access the general internet? If not, why not, I don't know, watch the streams for free by using the system's browser?
I never used the browser on the Xbox so I can't tell you if you need Gold or not to use it. But it probably wouldn't support Flash or Silverlight or whatever embedded video type anyway.

Magnethead

Feb 1, 2011
Nowhere Man said:
Micalas said:
I never used the browser on the Xbox so I can't tell you if you need Gold or not to use it. But it probably wouldn't support Flash or Silverlight or whatever embedded video type anyway.
I'm fairly sure you need a paid Live subscription to use the browser. Kinda ironic that the software that Microsoft was sued for giving away free on Windows is a paid app on the Xbox.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Was really excited for this and then found it is only available within the U.S, how disappointing. Why on Earth would they do that? It is not like there would be many issues with licensing like most other U.S only apps.