Twitch Hacked; Hacker May Have Gotten Everything, Including Source Code

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Of course everyone who uses or has used Twitch should now change their password (and possibly their underwear), but any big streamer is now likely a target for criminals.

I'm not going to applaud the hacker. Looking to hurt the Big Bad Corporation is one thing, but how many people who depend on streaming to make a living now have to watch their backs?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay explain this to me dumb-dumb not programmer man. They got everything, including the source code and...and what? Do the hackers own Twitch now? Was the source code highly sought after and they can hold it for ransom now?
Like the password shit was a shitty thing to do, but documents showing twitch pays their top streamers and gives them special treatment? Maybe me am dumb-dumb, but I kinda assumed that was happening anyway. Like we all know Pewdiepie has more contacts at Youtube that Bill and Jeff's good times to use the N-word channel, right?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Okay explain this to me dumb-dumb not programmer man. They got everything, including the source code and...and what? Do the hackers own Twitch now? Was the source code highly sought after and they can hold it for ransom now?
Having the source code to a program makes it much easier to develop attacks that can exploit weaknesses in it and compromise it. In a worst-case scenario this could be used to cause Twitch clients to do bad things while watching a stream- crash, or even allow remote code execution. (I doubt things would be as bad for anyone watching through a browser, since they commonly have protections to prevent sites from pulling things like that.)

I'd expect something similar to what happened to the PlayStation 4 three years ago, where a malformed message was capable of crashing the console.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Of course everyone who uses or has used Twitch should now change their password (and possibly their underwear), but any big streamer is now likely a target for criminals.

I'm not going to applaud the hacker. Looking to hurt the Big Bad Corporation is one thing, but how many people who depend on streaming to make a living now have to watch their backs?
Streamers' earnings were already public, you just had to do basic math.