Twitch has a new Hot Girls in Hot Tubs Meta now

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Really seems like not much of a big deal to me, but I don't really care for twitch to begin with 🤷‍♀️
Eh, I don't have any moralistic objections to it. Point of fact, I can see arguments that if anything our predominant culture is a bit oversensitive to such displays. (It's a bikini, folks, not lingerie. It's not scandalous to be seen in one.) Yes, it's rather transparently being done to be titilating to the extent allowed. No, I don't see any issue with that - in principle - so long as the streamer is a consenting adult.

On the other hand, the brander in me doesn't like it because it dilutes Twitch's brand identity. Twitch is the video game livestreaming platform. The further they get away from that, the more it loses its niche and becomes a fungible service with its competitors. So I certainly would not begrudge Twitch saying "yeah, no, this isn't the kind of content we want" because it's legitimately out of place for their platform.

Reactions: deleted20220709

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Eh, I don't have any moralistic objections to it. Point of fact, I can see arguments that if anything our predominant culture is a bit oversensitive to such displays. (It's a bikini, folks, not lingerie. It's not scandalous to be seen in one.) Yes, it's rather transparently being done to be titilating to the extent allowed. No, I don't see any issue with that - in principle - so long as the streamer is a consenting adult.

On the other hand, the brander in me doesn't like it because it dilutes Twitch's brand identity. Twitch is the video game livestreaming platform. The further they get away from that, the more it loses its niche and becomes a fungible service with its competitors. So I certainly would not begrudge Twitch saying "yeah, no, this isn't the kind of content we want" because it's legitimately out of place for their platform.
Here's a question, and I mean this as a legit question. I'm all for the streamer being a consenting adult, that makes sense. What about the people watching? Like if you take one of these titilating streams who, lets be honest, is showing off their body, while nominally playing games. What if their target audience is under age? What if they're whole shtick is earning "tips" and "super chats" from children?
That's my sticking point. If adults want to give a streamer tips to act all sexy, that's great. But when children do it, even if the kids are horny, I'm less okay with it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Here's a question, and I mean this as a legit question. I'm all for the streamer being a consenting adult, that makes sense. What about the people watching? Like if you take one of these titilating streams who, lets be honest, is showing off their body, while nominally playing games. What if their target audience is under age? What if they're whole shtick is earning "tips" and "super chats" from children?
That's my sticking point. If adults want to give a streamer tips to act all sexy, that's great. But when children do it, even if the kids are horny, I'm less okay with it.
Well for starters, see the point about us being oversensitive to bikinis. I don't think we do anyone any favors by treating normal swimwear like it's scandalous. Moreover, there's at least an argument to be made that such attempts constitute a net negative in social impact. If a kid sees a girl in a bikini (or a guy in a speedo, for that matter), I think we as adults shouldn't pay it any mind. It's the kind of thing they'll see plenty of at the pool or beach, so why teach them through our reactions that they're looking at something naughty?

That being said, if their schtick is enticing children for tips and super chats, that's at best a skeevy business practice and at worst illegal.

No, seriously: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising_to_children

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well for starters, see the point about us being oversensitive to bikinis. I don't think we do anyone any favors by treating normal swimwear like it's scandalous. Moreover, there's at least an argument to be made that such attempts constitute a net negative in social impact. If a kid sees a girl in a bikini (or a guy in a speedo, for that matter), I think we as adults shouldn't pay it any mind. It's the kind of thing they'll see plenty of at the pool or beach, so why teach them through our reactions that they're looking at something naughty?

That being said, if their schtick is enticing children for tips and super chats, that's at best a skeevy business practice and at worst illegal.

No, seriously: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising_to_children
And that is the rub aint it. Twitch at some point is going to NEED age verification (perferably something that cant be fudged like providing a credit card number with a one time dollar fee or something). Especially if they continue down this route.

Then the simple solution is any underage account (still let kids make an account) cannot view those streamers with "mature audience tags" and/or are streaming adult content.

Of course doing so will cause the tits to get put away really quickly and these girls will stream something else to try and keep their audience as wide as possible because i would imagine it is the younger boys watching and cheering more often than not.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
That Snorlax is legitimately disgusting...

Yeah that's pretty much my feelings about it. YouTube is trying to become Tiktok, twitter is trying to become Instagram, etc etc. These things never go well. I mean it's cool and all when you find a random twitch streamer who's just do their hobby, say woodworking, on camera. But there's no streaming service for woodworking, and there's a bajillion sites they could use to stream hot tub bikini action. Which is why I am confused they chose Twitch in the first place. Mayhaps they just don't want the stigma of being on a platform like OnlyFans?

EDIT: I just noticed that this was posted in Off Topic, which is funny. Even on here it seems Twitch has lost their identity of being video game streaming platform.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That Snorlax is legitimately disgusting...

Yeah that's pretty much my feelings about it. YouTube is trying to become Tiktok, twitter is trying to become Instagram, etc etc. These things never go well. I mean it's cool and all when you find a random twitch streamer who's just do their hobby, say woodworking, on camera. But there's no streaming service for woodworking, and there's a bajillion sites they could use to stream hot tub bikini action. Which is why I am confused they chose Twitch in the first place. Mayhaps they just don't want the stigma of being on a platform like OnlyFans?

EDIT: I just noticed that this was posted in Off Topic, which is funny. Even on here it seems Twitch has lost their identity of being video game streaming platform.
I honestly didnt know the best place for the thread actually.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Too bad no one wants to pay for man tits.
Its called the romance section in the book store. There is a reason the guys on the cover don't look like Larry the Cable guy. Granted, any given woman on those same hetero romantic books are on a scale of 1-10, out of my leauge so pretty ladies must be a good thing for women to watch as well.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
14 years old with strict Internet filters. I mean more power to them. When I was their age I had to wait until Call On Me or Satisfaction would play on one of the music channels... Like on TV, not radio.
Wow, that takes me back.

Too bad kids nowadays likely won't have the experience of lazing around with the music channel on waiting for their favourite song to pop up. Sure, radio works, but then you won't get to see stuff like Daft Punk's Digital Love or One More Time.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
If a kid sees a girl in a bikini (or a guy in a speedo, for that matter), I think we as adults shouldn't pay it any mind. It's the kind of thing they'll see plenty of at the pool or beach, so why teach them through our reactions that they're looking at something naughty?
That's not online livestreaming, though. There is no faceless audience that communicates with you with bits of text they must pay to send. If a 13-year-old boy goes to a sunbather on the beach, throws them 3 dollars and asks them to do a dance for them while they record it, she will tell him to gtfo. Anyways, there is a difference between kids and adolescents -- tweenaged kids already pick up titillating cues no problem.

In an ideal world I wouldn't mind social media exacerbating standards for looks and behavior and in a way the funhouse mirror effects of filters and angles even things out for those less fortunate in the genetic/environmental lottery --> we've moved from the cover of Sports Illustrated to everyone being their own beauty mag. But it comes at a price: mental health issues with young people are at one in five and rising. Social influencing has split off from the old purpose of social media (following your social contacts). Twitch booby "meta" is how you turn the buffet of likes and shares into money, though a faster and easier option exists too: OnlyFans.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, fake gamer girls is a thing again?

Ok, if they are targeting kids, that's a problem. And I guess if they fill up search results when you aren't looking for bewbs.

14 years old with strict Internet filters. I mean more power to them. When I was their age I had to wait until Call On Me or Satisfaction would play on one of the music channels... Like on TV, not radio.
That brings back memories. Ok, not exactly what you were talking about, but this ad was memorable:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So, fake gamer girls is a thing again?

Ok, if they are targeting kids, that's a problem. And I guess if they fill up search results when you aren't looking for bewbs.
This isnt about fake gamer girls at all. Nobody cares about the just chatting twitch section anymore and these girls no longer have to pretend to be gamers. That is fine.

But in the absence of gaming, i dont think it unreasonable that they be required to offer up something besides their tits.

Cook, dance, teach people something, be funny, do anything that can be labeled entertainment. I have a problem when girls just sit there and expect to be paid because you are getting the privilege to see some PG13 levels of skin.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Cook, dance, teach people something, be funny, do anything that can be labeled entertainment. I have a problem when girls just sit there and expect to be paid because you are getting the privilege to see some PG13 levels of skin.
I mean they expect to get paid because they do get paid.

If they're taking advantage of kids then I have as much an issue with that as I do predatory marketing of microtransactions in games towards kids.

People spend their money on all sorts of pointless bullshit. We all have to collectively pretend that some dude owns the first ever tweet and people still buy diamonds.

The only reason this stands out to anyone as bad compared to any other transaction is pretty obvious.

Reactions: MrCalavera

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean they expect to get paid because they do get paid.

If they're taking advantage of kids then I have as much an issue with that as I do predatory marketing of microtransactions in games towards kids.

People spend their money on all sorts of pointless bullshit. We all have to collectively pretend that some dude owns the first ever tweet and people still buy diamonds.

The only reason this stands out to anyone as bad compared to any other transaction is pretty obvious.
And twitch makes a fuckload of money off it. Which is why they ignore it.

But at some point something bad will happen here and im going to laugh my ass off when these girls who never bothered to build a personality end up stuck because they cant get paid for nothing no more.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Man, you really hate women huh?
What makes you say that? Because I think manipulative people are shitty?

Are they immune to criticism because they are women? OH NO! Protect to poor innocent womxn who can't be held responsible for their poor choices.

Give me a break.