Twitch IRL Lets You Stream Your Trips to The Grocery Store

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Twitch IRL Lets You Stream Your Trips to The Grocery Store

Twitch's new IRL category is for "general life/channel updates or discussions" and "Vlogs to the outside world."

Twitch this week launched the FAQ [https://blog.twitch.tv/announcing-irl-mobile-broadcasting-and-updated-community-guidelines-6833dcac8012#.5401ka8jn>IRL category for it's streaming service, and has left a lot of people scratching their heads on what exactly it should be used for. An <a href=] clarifies things a bit, describing the category as being for "general life/channel updates or discussions" and "Vlogs to the outside world."

For some examples: "Maybe you like working out and can make it interactive. You just read a great book and want to discuss it. Or maybe you have very strong opinions about the season finale of your favorite show. That kinda thing."

"Vlogs of your trips into the outside world, such as an amusement park, an event (TwitchCon!), or even the grocery store."

That's right. Twitch wants you to Vlog your trip to the grocery store. I guess that does sound somewhat strange but perhaps it would be interesting for some people to look into the grocery stores of foreign countries? I lived in Japan, for example, and their grocery stores were so wildly different from what I was used to back home.

Source: Twitch [https://blog.twitch.tv/announcing-irl-mobile-broadcasting-and-updated-community-guidelines-6833dcac8012#.5401ka8jn]

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Because this is something the world desperately needs...
Gibbagobba said:
Great. More tools for fueling narcissism. What could go wrong?
Sounds about right.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So now I can watch people do the mundane, boring things on twitch - when the reason I go there is to get distracted from those mundane, boring things?
That seems incredible backwards to me.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Why would I ever want to watch random people live their regular boring lives? Who does that?
Are they trying to get the reality TV audience to twitch?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
So they just brought Justin.tV back 3 years (not even) after shutting it down with a unified branding on it?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
It's all downhill from here, 2 years time it'll be Twitch TV shows. Then Twitch Red for the casual viewer who doesn't want Turbo affecting all the LP and Game channels. Next will be Just a Prank Bro channels. Then finally it'll be Twitch Cam Girls and yes they will still have to adhere to keeping the clothes on rule (until they petition it restricts their creative freedoms or something). Then the new Twitch will raise it's heads and the words youtube but different stapled to them.
/end of the world-old man rant

I thought Twitch was about streaming content that detracts from IRL and allowed the memes to flow? What, did all the vloggers on youtube saying it's shit now cause dollar signs to pop up in Amazon's eyes?

Kajin said:
Sounds like a great way to get robbed.
You'd be surprised the number of Streamers who get robbed whilst streaming games from home/private rooms.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Nile McMorrow said:
Kajin said:
Sounds like a great way to get robbed.
You'd be surprised the number of Streamers who get robbed whilst streaming games from home/private rooms.
Whatever that number is it is bound to be lower than the number of people who've been robbed or burgled because they told everyone on twitter/facebook/whatever that they were out on vacation or kept broadcasting their position whilst out and about.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I groaned at the headline, but reading the article made it sound much more reasonable.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
In all fairness, I have always wanted to buy an apple at the supermarket. Now, I'll be able to experience the thrill vicariously!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This will not end well. Some psychopath will use this feature to livestream his own shooting spree. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. It took me less than a second to come to this conclusion. How the fuck did they not think of this?

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Hey guys, let's start twitch plays grocery shopping, where the twitch community has to give instructions on movement to the shopper

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
CyanCat47 said:
Hey guys, let's start twitch plays grocery shopping, where the twitch community has to give instructions on movement to the shopper
They would just keep forcing the shopper to buy an infinite supply of Marmite.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Borty The Bort said:
CyanCat47 said:
They would just keep forcing the shopper to buy an infinite supply of Marmite.
And eat all free samples.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Fuck, that means these jackasses are going to be walking around whilst constantly talking like they should be the centre of everyone's attention.