Twitch just keeps getting worse and worse.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
What's funny, is ya'll just keep making excuses as to why these solutions wont work, when there are examples all over Twitch and Twitter from people who've been hate raided showcasing solutions.
If disabling raids works 100%, I'll join your side on this 100%. Yes, nothing is ever 100% proof but let's ignore that for a second.

If the solution is sub-only mode for as long as the harassment continues then imma say, as someone who spends waaaaaaay too much time with Twitch opened: there actually should be something "more" to deal with it, because they aren't complaining about nothing. Like Jim's video, some of the complaining is a bit whiny, but you're not playing the victim if you're really getting fucked.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Most stream chats go by so fast that the only way to get a meaningful interaction is to pay real world money to the streamer to highlight your words so I don't get how supposedly making it subscriber-only-chat is detrimental to people's audience engagement.

Also on that matter I think it is kinda absurd to take it for granted that streaming is supposed to come with earnings. As if you're owed that. It's silly. Streaming is just something people do for fun, and if someone is liked enough they can make money off of it, but it's not supposed to count as a job.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are literally people in the community that have been hate raided telling people how to turn the raids off. I linked a tweet from someone previously.

You are seriously overestimating the effort that people actually put into streaming. Many people just get the stream to work and never touch a damn thing.

Case in point, Darksydephil has been streaming and Youtubing for 10 years and still doesn't know how to do a goddamn thing on Twitch or Youtube.

I wouldn't be surprised if many people don't even know raiding was a feature until they got bot raided, and maybe not even then. The twitter hashtag has tons of these creator's teach each other how to turn the raids off and even how to turn chat into different modes.

What's funny, is ya'll just keep making excuses as to why these solutions wont work, when there are examples all over Twitch and Twitter from people who've been hate raided showcasing solutions. Why? Because streamers like AfroSamurai, and Theblackhogage are not in the business of playing the victim. They got hate raided, they shut it down and literally mocked the raiders. They know there are already solutions to the problem, and they use them.

But instead these people want someone else to fix their problems.

People don't even know how to use the platform that they depend on for their livelihood and ya'll want to bash how much "I dont get it"?
Most of us saw the link you sent. I even thanked you. if I didn't, my bad. And while I'm happy somebody found a way, those guys can still find an exploit or wait to negate it all. Which will lead us back to square one eventually. Until the ones up top get off their butts and actually use the money the way they're supposed to. Not for some goddamn rocket ship for some wannabe astronaut!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If the solution is sub-only mode for as long as the harassment continues then imma say, as someone who spends waaaaaaay too much time with Twitch opened: there actually should be something "more" to deal with it, because they aren't complaining about nothing. Like Jim's video, some of the complaining is a bit whiny, but you're not playing the victim if you're really getting fucked.
But the solution isn't Sub only. You can swap to emote only and your entire audience would still be able to chat with emotes. Or you can do followers only (which I know the bots auto follow the streamer), in which you can set a duration of follow time. For example 1 hour follow mode, in which people would have had to have been a follower of the stream for at least 1 hour in order to chat. Since the bots follow when they invade, they would not qualify to chat if you just put a little time on it. Meanwhile the majority of the chat (assuming they like you) would likely be unaffected and even if they are a 1 hour follow is no big deal.

Most of us saw the link you sent. I even thanked you. if I didn't, my bad. And while I'm happy somebody found a way, those guys can still find an exploit or wait to negate it all. Which will lead us back to square one eventually. Until the ones up top get off their butts and actually use the money the way they're supposed to. Not for some goddamn rocket ship for some wannabe astronaut!
I mean Jeff has no obligation to the streamers. Twitch doesn't make enough money for him to even notice most likely.

His obligation is to make sure the platform continues to operate and serve as a platform as intended. In which it is. See the part I quoted above, even if you don't want to do the raiding thing, you still have a variety of options to implement into your chat that both fix the raid problem AND aren't much (if any) hindrance to your chat.

It really is a shitty thing, but trolling will exist for as long as the internet exist. What these people are asking is for Twitch to do something that literally no company, agency, or ISP has been able to control since the internet began. Trolling. I mean the fucking government gets DDoSed all the time. PSN, Blizzard, Square Enix, literally every online platform has seen outaging because of some dickhead figured out how to troll them. If these big company's can't stop their entire service from getting hassled, what makes you think twitch can figure out how to protect a small portion of it's streamers?

And I fear this outcry and "day of twitch" thing is only going to add fuel to the troll fire. These hate raiders know it bothers people and it gets a reaction from the streamer, so they will keep doing it.

Instead if the streamers merely used the tools they already have, and ignored it otherwise, the problem would solve itself.

Reactions: Ravinoff

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But the solution isn't Sub only. You can swap to emote only and your entire audience would still be able to chat with emotes. Or you can do followers only (which I know the bots auto follow the streamer), in which you can set a duration of follow time. For example 1 hour follow mode, in which people would have had to have been a follower of the stream for at least 1 hour in order to chat. Since the bots follow when they invade, they would not qualify to chat if you just put a little time on it. Meanwhile the majority of the chat (assuming they like you) would likely be unaffected and even if they are a 1 hour follow is no big deal.

I mean Jeff has no obligation to the streamers. Twitch doesn't make enough money for him to even notice most likely.

His obligation is to make sure the platform continues to operate and serve as a platform as intended. In which it is. See the part I quoted above, even if you don't want to do the raiding thing, you still have a variety of options to implement into your chat that both fix the raid problem AND aren't much (if any) hindrance to your chat.

It really is a shitty thing, but trolling will exist for as long as the internet exist. What these people are asking is for Twitch to do something that literally no company, agency, or ISP has been able to control since the internet began. Trolling. I mean the fucking government gets DDoSed all the time. PSN, Blizzard, Square Enix, literally every online platform has seen outaging because of some dickhead figured out how to troll them. If these big company's can't stop their entire service from getting hassled, what makes you think twitch can figure out how to protect a small portion of it's streamers?

And I fear this outcry and "day of twitch" thing is only going to add fuel to the troll fire. These hate raiders know it bothers people and it gets a reaction from the streamer, so they will keep doing it.

Instead if the streamers merely used the tools they already have, and ignored it otherwise, the problem would solve itself.
And I don't care what just thinks his obligations are. You bought a streaming site, you want people in your platform, make sure all those that on your platform are taken care of as long as they respected and know the rules and don't be jerks. And he's just another apathetic corporate butthole. All you been doing is it's been a corporate mouthpiece for him, but you don't get the paycheck. You can give me these giant paragraphs all you want, I don't care. You were just going on, in a previous post, about how bandwidth is too expensive; which is bull crap. Especially for a company like Amazon. They know they can afford it, they're just too greedy and lazy to do it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You bought a streaming site, you want people in your platform, make sure all those that on your platform are taken care of as long as they respected and know the rules and don't be jerks
Man, I feel like you are just ranting about how much money the company has. It isn't about the money, it's about the capability. If the government can't stop it, sony, the entire AWS infrastructure, can't stop bot attacks. How do you expect them to focus down some petty shit like bot raids? Especially when the streamer involved can handle it themselves.

There is nothing to protect here. The platform isn't in danger, the streamer isn't in danger, what lengths do you expect them to take?

You've made a lot of excuses for why my points are wrong but you've offered no reasonable solutions or routes that can be taken to stop this. I can't tell if you are actually mad at these raids, or if you are just mad because companies have too much money.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man, I feel like you are just ranting about how much money the company has. It isn't about the money, it's about the capability. If the government can't stop it, sony, the entire AWS infrastructure, can't stop bot attacks. How do you expect them to focus down some petty shit like bot raids? Especially when the streamer involved can handle it themselves.

There is nothing to protect here. The platform isn't in danger, the streamer isn't in danger, what lengths do you expect them to take?

You've made a lot of excuses for why my points are wrong but you've offered no reasonable solutions or routes that can be taken to stop this. I can't tell if you are actually mad at these raids, or if you are just mad because companies have too much money.
"It's not about the money, it's about sending a message!". These people are pretty capable, but a lot of them are just scumbags that want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend there's no problems or they're afraid to offending the alt-right jerk off cuz they're not going to get enough extra money. You clearly haven't been paying attention to my post. We can keep doing this fullness back and forth but we're not going to get anywhere. My point is this and for the final time: these jackasses will find a way or another loop around and everything goes back to square one, while Amazon will sit on their asses and act like nothing's wrong and expect the victims to do things themselves. If you don't even understand that problem and what comes with it, we have nothing left to discuss. And I once again said this before like last time, I find it funny that as much as you hate Twitch, you are more than willing to bat for them right now. Yet when some dummy thicc girls that leave their cleavage exposed and the ass crack open, you want to start a panic, and think it's World War III all of a sudden. Talk about selective obliviousness.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And I once again said this before like last time, I find it funny that as much as you hate Twitch, you are more than willing to bat for them right now.
I don't hate twitch. I don't think they are perfect of course. But I don't hate them.

I am not even really going to bat for them either imo. I'm an just saying things that I think are reasonable. There is no action on these done by Twitch because there is no action they can take. The best solution is already in place.

Hey we clearly aren't going to have any common ground in this regard so it is what it is. Not that big of a deal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
don't hate twitch. I don't think they are perfect of course. But I don't hate them.
The thread you made about the Twitch girls makes that hard for me to believe.

There is no action on these done by Twitch because there is no action they can take. The best solution is already in
Wrong. There is action, they just don't want to do it and you don't want to listen or believe it.

Hey we clearly aren't going to have any common ground in this regard so it is what it is. Not that big of a deal.
I mentioned that earlier which is why I was asking to end it early. And it's "not a big deal" for you, because it doesn't affect you. It's a big deal for those that are getting abused and stepped on. So you think about that. Or don't.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
What's funny, is ya'll just keep making excuses as to why these solutions wont work, when there are examples all over Twitch and Twitter from people who've been hate raided showcasing solutions. Why? Because streamers like AfroSamurai, and Theblackhogage are not in the business of playing the victim. They got hate raided, they shut it down and literally mocked the raiders. They know there are already solutions to the problem, and they use them.
Most stream chats go by so fast that the only way to get a meaningful interaction is to pay real world money to the streamer to highlight your words so I don't get how supposedly making it subscriber-only-chat is detrimental to people's audience engagement.
You dramatically over-estimate the size of most streamer's chat. Like, most of Hololive's chat in most streams still has more interaction than you claim and they're the biggest kids on the block

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You dramatically over-estimate the size of most streamer's chat. Like, most of Hololive's chat in most streams still has more interaction than you claim and they're the biggest kids on the block
As I said before, they don't want to listen no matter how many ways we try to explain them or give them all the details. They just assume everything will be "fine" or the victims are overreacting, or "don't know enough". Despite exhausting every possible solution they can think of and tried. Once again, those in charge need to get off their asses and do their freaking job.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I want to highlight this tweet. Which I didn't see initially.

I think his last statement is a great idea. Push people to other sites. Ya'll want to talk about how Twitch should step in and do something. Maybe watching people leave the site will do that.

Some big creators just signed with Youtube, including TimtheTatman and a few other fairly big names. Maybe that kind of shake up will be what Twitch needs.

Then again they didn't give about Ninja leaving for Mixer, and they kicked off Dr. Disrespect, so maybe not.

And also Mixer didn't last because it wasn't worth the upkeep for the small indie company that owned it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
"Hate bot raids are trying to make certain people leave the site"

"Hell yeah, they should leave, then Twitch might do something"

Okay, so...glad we're finally on the same page on this being a problem that needs fixing?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
"Hate bot raids are trying to make certain people leave the site"

"Hell yeah, they should leave, then Twitch might do something"

Okay, so...glad we're finally on the same page on this being a problem that needs fixing?
I didn't say they SHOULD do something. I merely offered a suggestion to force them to MAYBE do something. If you are gonna hate-quote me without actually quoting me, at least get it right.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Coming out has probably eased a lot of their depression and surrounding issues. It is a lot easier to adopt healthier habits when you are in a good place mentally and emotionally. It's really great to see.
They were also recently diagnosed with ADHD. They haven't spoken about going on medication, but if they have I've found it makes an incredible difference in terms of food cravings and avoiding compulsive eating. There's also a side effect of appetite suppression, which for children can be a problem but for adults is actually pretty great.