Twitch removes famous emote

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ignoring, it really idiotic statements and backward ass comments from certain people and getting back on track. Point being twitch keep shooting themselves in the foot. They can enjoy getting themselves a more trouble than necessary. They have no one but the blame for themselves. I feel nothing for them.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You're not just twisting my words, you're missing the point so badly I'm not sure it's worth my effort to put you on track.
I didn't miss your point, but you might have. You're denying that a black supremacist can exist in the same fashion as a white supremacist because white people and black people don't live in the same circumstances in reality, but you're disregarding the fact that anyone delusional enough to be a racial supremacist likely does not agree with you about what that reality is.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I didn't miss your point, but you might have. You're denying that a black supremacist can exist in the same fashion as a white supremacist because white people and black people don't live in the same circumstances in reality
Oh boy. You really did miss my point.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ignoring, it really idiotic statements and backward ass comments from certain people and getting back on track. Point being twitch keep shooting themselves in the foot. They can enjoy getting themselves a more trouble than necessary. They have no one but the blame for themselves. I feel nothing for them.
Yeah like I said, I can't fathom why they wouldn't just make cartoon emotes instead of trying to use the likeness of real streamers. Because people will eventually fuck up and if the company is going to insantly cut ties with someone they disagree with, then why bother running that risk?

I mean they obviously want to try to make it look like Twitch is still a unified community and by using the faces of their popular streamers they further spread the sense that everyone on the site is connected. That's the psychology behind it, but the flip side of that policy is it just further showcases the company's hypocrisy. To the point where if what Gootenks said was a problem for them they should have publicly said "hey this isn't cool we don't agree with this position" and left it alone. Then if they were asked by the cancel culture fuckwads about leaving the emote around they could have said something like, "this emote has become far more than just the person it originates from, pogchamp is engrained in the community culture of Twitch viewers around the world. And just because we might not agree with the person in questions stances today, we do not feel that opinions warrant the erasure of something that has outgrown the person in question, nor do we feel that one bad deed should erase all previous good."

When you think about it, a lot of the shit people get called out for is previously funny things that would today be called tasteless. Jimmy Kimel's Charles Barkley skit on the Man Show for example. Was it blackface? Technically. But it certainly wasn't done under any malicious intent, it was a joke and back then people knew the difference. However actions like what came out about Kevin Spacey or Harvey Weinstein, these men had actions that deem erasure.

But something like the pogchamp emote and Gootenks' legacy on what he had done on Twitch is nothing but community building. He did good for Twitch in that regard, so because years later he says dumbshit, I don't think qualifies that his positive influences in the past should be wiped from memory.

I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Wait, this is why he’s being called a black supremacist? Because he said “whiteness” is a fiction? Then count me in as a black supremacist I guess, because of fucking course it is. Remember when Irish people weren’t white? Notice how our existing white supremacists think Hispanics can’t be white, despite the history of white supremacist politics in Hispanic countries? This is so fucking idiotic.
F2CD259F-1ECB-4EDD-84A7-A4DFA1A20C9D.jpeg

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Wait, this is why he’s being called a black supremacist? Because he said “whiteness” is a fiction? Then count me in as a black supremacist I guess, because of fucking course it is. Remember when Irish people weren’t white? Notice how our existing white supremacists think Hispanics can’t be white, despite the history of white supremacist politics in Hispanic countries? This is so fucking idiotic.
View attachment 2580
How is whiteness any different from blackness though? If I can't be proud of "whiteness" then he can't be proud of his "blackness" because like he said....I can be proud of being Italian, German, Polish, whatever. By the same token he cannot be proud of his "Blackness", but he CAN be proud of being Nigerian, South African, American even, whatever it is. Black is not a culture anymore than white, brown, pink, or purple are.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
How is whiteness any different from blackness though? If I can't be proud of "whiteness" then he can't be proud of his "blackness" because like he said....I can be proud of being Italian, German, Polish, whatever. By the same token he cannot be proud of his "Blackness", but he CAN be proud of being Nigerian, South African, American even, whatever it is. Black is not a culture anymore than white, brown, pink, or purple are.
Because blackness is an imposed experience with definable shared social characteristics and roles. To be white in a white supremacist culture is to be default, to be anything else is to be other and have imposed on you certain norms separate from the default. In taking pride in that experience, the rebellion against those imposed norms, the history of that rejection, they do a very different thing from those who take pride in their default status. The latter only reaffirms existing injustices.
Edit: also, taking pride in being South African or Nigerian would be absurdly racist in consequence, as it reaffirms the history of colonialism that arbitrarily lumped different peoples together to create those identities sometime within the last couple centuries.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yes, but if you read that guy's comment carefully, his point is that his ancestors were taken from their homeland, bundled in with black people from all sorts of other cultures, all had their culture stripped from them and replaced by the will of their masters, and a few generations later they had no cultural awareness of their ancestral land. He cannot be proud of his pre-American heritage, because he doesn't know what it is and no traditions of it have passed down to him. Thus unlike white people who took their culture by choice with them, his people's identity was created and forced on them by white people through slavery.

I might dispute how absolute his statement is that there cannot be a sense of "whiteness" on a similar basis, and something else seems slightly off which teeters on the edge of my cognition but I can't be bothered pursuing to work out. Nevertheless, the concept he is putting across has some validity.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Yes, but if you read that guy's comment carefully, his point is that his ancestors were taken from their homeland, bundled in with black people from all sorts of other cultures, all had their culture stripped from them and replaced by the will of their masters, and a few generations later they had no cultural awareness of their ancestral land. He cannot be proud of his pre-American heritage, because he doesn't know what it is and no traditions of it have passed down to him. Thus unlike white people who took their culture by choice with them, his people's identity was created and forced on them by white people through slavery.

I might dispute how absolute his statement is that there cannot be a sense of "whiteness" on a similar basis, and something else seems slightly off which teeters on the edge of my cognition but I can't be bothered pursuing to work out. Nevertheless, the concept he is putting across has some validity.
His being ok with national pride sucks to me, and is ideologically inconsistent from my perspective, but I think Nationalism is the gravedigger of society so my perspective is fairly particular.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yes, but if you read that guy's comment carefully, his point is that his ancestors were taken from their homeland, bundled in with black people from all sorts of other cultures, all had their culture stripped from them and replaced by the will of their masters, and a few generations later they had no cultural awareness of their ancestral land.
Taken and sold to the europeans by their own people. It wasn't entirely just a bunch of kidnapping ships. Their own people SOLD them. So that's part of the history you are celebrating by celebrating your "blackness" if you want to go that route. Which is why he "can't" be proud of his heritage pre-salvery if he wants to put it that way, his people were betrayed by their own heritage.

Also let's not pretend that every black person in the US today has come from slavery origins. And frankly it's not like salvery was something only black people suffered. Because the Jewish people dealt with it as well, and for far far longer. Then the Jewish also had a bit of a hardship in Germany 75 years ago. But it is funny how the Jewish folks don't keep using their enslavement as an excuse or justification for racism. The past is the past and the only way to recover is to move on. Never forget it, but move on and learn from it.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
His being ok with national pride sucks to me, and is ideologically inconsistent from my perspective, but I think Nationalism is the gravedigger of society so my perspective is fairly particular.
I'm not averse to national pride, at a gentle level. I like it at the level of a modest societal bond and shared commonality, plus a dose of good-natured competition with the neighbours. At the point I hear a bunch of oiks aggressively shouting "USA! USA! USA!" I start to get a little downhearted. At the point it's invading Poland for lebensraum, it's long since passed my tolerance.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I never understood Nationalism myself. It's not like people chose where their born, nor do they chose their heritage. So it's like....I dunno....to me it's almost like rooting for a local sports team. I feel like you should have pride for yourself, not the circumstances of where you took your first breath.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Taken and sold to the europeans by their own people.
I can't help but notice Americans celebrate their European ancestors despite them fleeing persecution by their fellow countrymen, or Australians happy to accept their heritage despite many of their ancestors being exiled there in penal servitude by their countrymen.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm not averse to national pride, at a gentle level. I like it at the level of a modest societal bond and shared commonality
It's weird, because I'd say England is very nationalist (and inexplicably proud) right now, and yet our social bonds are minimal. Just look at our COVID attitude to each other -- it's all 'I'm alright Jack.' Sure, there's been some real stand-up people going above and beyond to help others, but they're few and far between. Seriously protests outside a hospital!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Taken and sold to the europeans by their own people. It wasn't entirely just a bunch of kidnapping ships. Their own people SOLD them. So that's part of the history you are celebrating by celebrating your "blackness" if you want to go that route. Which is why he "can't" be proud of his heritage pre-salvery if he wants to put it that way, his people were betrayed by their own heritage.
There is no supply without demand, and European chattel slavery in the Americans is almost uniquely dehumanizing.
Also let's not pretend that every black person in the US today has come from slavery origins. And frankly it's not like salvery was something only black people suffered. Because the Jewish people dealt with it as well, and for far far longer. Then the Jewish also had a bit of a hardship in Germany 75 years ago. But it is funny how the Jewish folks don't keep using their enslavement as an excuse or justification for racism. The past is the past and the only way to recover is to move on. Never forget it, but move on and learn from it.
Jewish people would probably have a harder time moving on if they were still confined to ghettos. The USA is still fighting over whether we should honor slaving traitors in the public square. We still have states doing their level best to disenfranchise black voters. We still have redlining. We still have unequal sentencing. If white America hasn't moved on, it seems cruel to demand Black America do so

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I can't help but notice Americans celebrate their European ancestors despite them fleeing persecution by their fellow countrymen, or Australians happy to accept their heritage despite many of their ancestors being exiled there in penal servitude by their countrymen.
Americans don't tend to celebrate that specifically as much as people celebrate shit like "Oh I'm 30% Italian so I know what a good pasta is!" and things like that. People tend to only see the bright side of their heritage and not the bad shit. Because quite frankly if you go back far enough, everyone's heritage is a shitpile. There hasn't never been a human culture in the history of our race that wasn't a bunch of murderous bastards with dreams of domination. Human history fucking sucks dude because we are a shit species all things considered.

However an argument can be made that the violent history was a product of it's time, in which people needed to hunt for the best lands for survival, and by controlling more land meant more survival. Everything can be attributed to a product of it's time, culture's included. Think about the oversensitive nature of Western culture now, when a rape joke is considered the worst possible thing on the plant. 40 years ago that was just Richard Pryer being one of the best comedians on the planet.

I think our oversensitivity stems from our genuine lack of real problems in the Western world. You know why you don't see Feminism in Islamic dominated nations? Because they would be executed.

Our history of violence and domination has made humans what we are today. With innovation and education we've civilizied ourselves, but that never stopped our urge to fight. Which is why we fight for basically nothing these days. We fight to try and shutdown a comedian we don't like. We fight to silence people who's political views and opinions are different than our own. Because we are violent by nature and must fight. One way or the other.

And that need to fight will always be there, regardless of how we mature as a species. We will fight anything.

You know why people always come together during natural disasters? Because we find joy in fighting against mother nature. After a disaster everyone affected is suddenly in a fight, against that big ***** of a planet trying to fuck with us. So we ban together to help each other because that's the only way we can fight back against disaster like that. When terrorists blow up a couple of buildings, suddenly the whole country is cool because it turned everyone's fight against the fuckers who did that.

We're animals and that's what we do. 🤷

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I never understood Nationalism myself. It's not like people chose where their born, nor do they chose their heritage. So it's like....I dunno....to me it's almost like rooting for a local sports team. I feel like you should have pride for yourself, not the circumstances of where you took your first breath.
It's similar to how some people make some sort of media all their identity (looking at you Star Wars).

I'm in a Nine Inch Nails fan facebook group. God damn, is it their identity and anything outside it is the worse. Any disagreements over particular songs ends in yelling contest

It's people needing to find a place for themselves in world. But, as with everything, especially nationalism, its should be done in moderation. Everything can turn toxic when done too much

Reactions: CriticalGaming

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I think our oversensitivity stems from our genuine lack of real problems in the Western world. You know why you don't see Feminism in Islamic dominated nations? Because they would be executed.
Fucking what?
You know why people always come together during natural disasters? Because we find joy in fighting against mother nature. After a disaster everyone affected is suddenly in a fight, against that big ***** of a planet trying to fuck with us. So we ban together to help each other because that's the only way we can fight back against disaster like that. When terrorists blow up a couple of buildings, suddenly the whole country is cool because it turned everyone's fight against the fuckers who did that.
And some random Muslims who *didn't* do that. And some random Sikhs who didn't do that.
Or if the natural disaster is a virus.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
It sorta reminds me of the whole ok sign being considered offensive just cuz white supremacists were using it as a code word.