Twitch removes famous emote

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Twitch continuing to censor itself from innocuous nonsense removed the Pogchamp emote after the guy it was based on said naughty things on twitter.

Just continues the trend that if you say ANYTHING, ever, and someone doesn't like it then you lose the right to have any place in history. Anything you have done can be taken away because you said something naughty years and years after the fact.

Remember when you had the right to hold opinions? Remember when you could point out things? Commentate on the world and the events happening around you? Pepperidge Farms remembers

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I really wish people would stop trying to act as "the morality police" over others, especially when it comes to actions taken outside of your platform.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
They refused to continue hosting an image depicting someone they no longer wished to associate with. A decision I can sympathize with. They exercised their right to speech.

Twitch didn't owe the pogchamp guy the right to be prominently featured on their website.

Yeah I remember when you had the right to hold opinions, such as when Twitch held the opinion that they did not wish to promote the message the pogchamp guy stood for.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Just continues the trend that if you say ANYTHING, ever, and someone doesn't like it then you lose the right to have any place in history.
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to remember about this guy I'd heard about. Around the 1940s. Had a weird little 'tache. Very angry. Heard he did a lot of speeches and might have written a book. Come on guys, help me out. Who am I thinking of? It's on the tip of my tongue. Hatler? Hitlor? Fuck, I dunno, like the poor guy's been erased from history.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They refused to continue hosting an image depicting someone they no longer wished to associate with. A decision I can sympathize with. They exercised their right to speech.

Twitch didn't owe the pogchamp guy the right to be prominently featured on their website.

Yeah I remember when you had the right to hold opinions, such as when Twitch held the opinion that they did not wish to promote the message the pogchamp guy stood for.
There is a difference though. A controversal opinion shouldn't villiafy a person to the point of immediate deletion of all association. How many people on Twitch really even know who this guy in the emote even was in the first place. All they know is that suddenly the emote will be gone and they wont know why.

Additionally it taints the legacy of your site and service. Twitch communities have formed around emotes, and streamers, and memes, and all sorts of things. These communities mean something to people and they shouldn't be so arbitrarily erased with no warning for such a small infraction like this.

The damning tweet isn't even that outrageous or offensive. It's merely an opinion that doesn't go with the politically correct zeitgeist.

People these days are so quick to "cancel" someone out of their lives for such small things, that it is crazy to me. People have been talking about disowning family members who merely sympatheize with the protesters. That's insanity.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
There is a difference though. A controversal opinion shouldn't villiafy a person to the point of immediate deletion of all association.
Depends on how strongly twitch leadership feels about the opinion being expressed.
How many people on Twitch really even know who this guy in the emote even was in the first place. All they know is that suddenly the emote will be gone and they wont know why.
It still is elevating him. And emotes aren't made from diamonds; they can create a replacement emote in a day or two, so even if I were to care about emote users they should be fine.
Additionally it taints the legacy of your site and service.
In some eyes, indeed it does. That is the price one should be willing to pay by exercising the expression of speech.
Twitch communities have formed around emotes, and streamers, and memes, and all sorts of things. These communities mean something to people and they shouldn't be so arbitrarily erased with no warning for such a small infraction like this.
Again, I don't care. Additionally: how large community can there really form around a freaking emote?
The damning tweet isn't even that outrageous or offensive. It's merely an opinion that doesn't go with the politically correct zeitgeist.
If you feel that way, you do you. Personally I am appalled at the fact that rioters stormed the capitol to disrupt the democratic process. While one can probably find more nuances in the parties involved the previous description still stands. Rioters stormed the capitol to disrupt the democratic process. Expressing even the slightest of sympathy to them is in my opinion outrageous. And he expressed a want for additional civil unrest due to one of the rioters having died while storming the capitol.
People these days are so quick to "cancel" someone out of their lives for such small things, that it is crazy to me. People have been talking about disowning family members who merely sympatheize with the protesters. That's insanity.
Again, not a small thing.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to remember about this guy I'd heard about. Around the 1940s. Had a weird little 'tache. Very angry. Heard he did a lot of speeches and might have written a book. Come on guys, help me out. Who am I thinking of? It's on the tip of my tongue. Hatler? Hitlor? Fuck, I dunno, like the poor guy's been erased from history.
If it wasn’t for Hollywood movies and videogames, this might eventually be the case. At least in the minds of plebs.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
There is a difference though. A controversal opinion shouldn't villiafy a person to the point of immediate deletion of all association. How many people on Twitch really even know who this guy in the emote even was in the first place. All they know is that suddenly the emote will be gone and they wont know why.

Additionally it taints the legacy of your site and service. Twitch communities have formed around emotes, and streamers, and memes, and all sorts of things. These communities mean something to people and they shouldn't be so arbitrarily erased with no warning for such a small infraction like this.

Yah what? If someone says 'I want to murder people' or 'lets do a genocide' they should be vilified. Automatically. By everyone. What you are saying is utter nonsense

If you want to say PogChamp words shouldn't be vilified based on your perception, feel free. But some sentences should be vilified

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yah what? If someone says 'I want to murder people' or 'lets do a genocide' they should be vilified. Automatically. By everyone. What you are saying is utter nonsense
That isn't what this dude did though. How is supporting those rioters any different than supporting the Rioters for BLM?
The difference is that there is a politically correct side to be on, and if you are on the wrong side then everything about you is automatically evil and therefore should be erased. Because anything that the left doesn't like is labeled as Nazism even when everybody knows that isn't Nazism.

Words and actions are different things and should be treated differently. Telling someone to "die in a fire" in a fit of road rage is pretty meaningless. Insulting and demeaning someone for the way they drive is nothing, because it's just a verbal outburst in the heat of the moment and doesn't mean anything.

However getting out of your car and start punching the other driver's car is a very different animal. Because that's an action. There is a reason why saying "Fuck you" to somebody isn't illegal, but forcefully fucking them is very very illegal.

So why are we trying to make opinions and thoughts crimes worthy of virtual obliteration?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So why are we trying to make opinions and thoughts crimes worthy of virtual obliteration?
I would very much like to hear the answer to this. Is it because they genuinely believe it'll make the world a better place? Because we keep seeing that doing these things only drives people underground and radicalizes them. "Fine, if you reject me, then I'll find a place with like-minded people!"

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh no he onwy encouwaged an itty bitty wittwe bit of sedition and bwoadcast the existence of one teeny weeny snuff fiwm UwU won't somebody PWEASE think of the fascist sympathisers? qwq
I bet if this was a tweet about the Portland "mostly peaceful" riots, Twitch wouldn't have done anything.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I'm trying to get what's wrong with what Gootecks is saying. It's not coming through for me.

If he's a MAGA, fine. People are allowed to believe and follow who they want. Does my esteem go down for him? Not really. I have Trump supporting friends who aren't chopping at the bit to remove my freedoms so whatever. We just disagree on that.

I don't really see him declaring there should be blood on the street. But a protest is literally the definition of civil unrest. Asking for a protest over someone who was killed doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Am I just reading it wrong? Did I miss the part where he asked for armed insurrection? I mourn the woman and I'm not even a MAGA faithful. I just wish that no one would have to die for having a belief.

I am against all the shade about BLM, mind you. It comes from the same places that still stoke divisions between us. I just don't want people to die and I'm saddened and outraged when they are killed.

I don't get why that has to be political.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That isn't what this dude did though. How is supporting those rioters any different than supporting the Rioters for BLM?
The difference is that there is a politically correct side to be on, and if you are on the wrong side then everything about you is automatically evil and therefore should be erased. Because anything that the left doesn't like is labeled as Nazism even when everybody knows that isn't Nazism.

Words and actions are different things and should be treated differently. Telling someone to "die in a fire" in a fit of road rage is pretty meaningless. Insulting and demeaning someone for the way they drive is nothing, because it's just a verbal outburst in the heat of the moment and doesn't mean anything.

However getting out of your car and start punching the other driver's car is a very different animal. Because that's an action. There is a reason why saying "Fuck you" to somebody isn't illegal, but forcefully fucking them is very very illegal.

Do you think if someone says they want to commit genocide that they shouldn't be cancelled? Because that's what it sounds like your saying.

Reactions: BrawlMan