Twitter allows state controlled People's Daily China news agency to spread unproven claims about Coronavirus originating outside of China

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Seems twitter is only interested in checked some facts from some agencies here as they've not added that said information is disputed at all or any similar warning tags

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, that should be slapped with the "disputed" label at the very least. And if Twitter wants its commitment to balance to be taken even faintly seriously, they need to be consistent.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, that should be slapped with the "disputed" label at the very least. And if Twitter wants its commitment to balance to be taken even faintly seriously, they need to be consistent.
Just another reason why I despise Twitter and trust it even less.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I agree, this needs to be slapped with a fact check message

Also, here is some inconvenient truths
1. China and its president has been more truthful with fact than the US for the last 4 years
2. Same goes for the MSM
3. China is now the superpower and can throw its weight around. The US isn't at the same level anymore
4. Like, does it matter if its a lab or food? Both require China to fix its standards

Also, question. Should these tweets be automatically be slapped with the 'disputed' sign or should Twitter 'fact checkers' check it first?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Also, question. Should these tweets be automatically be slapped with the 'disputed' sign or should Twitter 'fact checkers' check it first?
Ideally, neither, and Twitter shouldn't mark anything else either.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Ideally, neither, and Twitter shouldn't mark anything else either.
So Twitter has to give up their Free Speech? Yeah, I don't see that ever happening.
Also, having both these two presidents on gives them a bad reputation. They can just ban both of them. I'm sure their share holders would love it

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So Twitter has to give up their Free Speech?
Ideally, they shouldn't be using their free speech to suppress or censor the free speech of others.
(inb4itsaprivatecompanyblahblahrightsblahblahgovernment)

Imagine if China was in control of fact-checking. Or Russia. Or North Korea. Or the US Government.
People can imagine how horrible that could be. But people think it's okay when a "private company" does it.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I agree, this needs to be slapped with a fact check message

Also, here is some inconvenient truths
1. China and its president has been more truthful with fact than the US for the last 4 years
2. Same goes for the MSM
3. China is now the superpower and can throw its weight around. The US isn't at the same level anymore
4. Like, does it matter if its a lab or food? Both require China to fix its standards

1. Only because you can't tell a lie if you just refuse to answer and call anyone asking a racist. I mean a lot of the stuff round Coronavirus was lies like how it wasn't spreading human to human or for a while didn't exist according to China.
2. Most of Trump's claims tend to fall into the "Technically correct" department until the past few months even if his claims weren't correct in the way they were framed.

Also just some of the BS claims the media has made over the past 5 years:

Reading wikileaks is illegal unless you're a member of the press
The Army all hate Trump
Police threw fireworks at protestor and news reporters (despite the Police line being behind the reporter on air and the protestors in front and the firework coming from in front).
Peaceful riots
Trump responsible for kids in cages
Russian election interference that hacked the election to give Trump a win
50+ fake hate crime reports
Lots of misleading reporting on Kyle Rittenhouse
Whitehouse Gorilla TV
The claim that the UK PM resigning if it happened in the US and some-one else took over would be seen as treason (what's a Vice President again?)
Rolling Stones UVA Rape story.
Trump's granfather was a pimp
Trump Tower Pyongyang
Death Row Inmate eats entire bible as last meal

3. Not really, it's only as powerful as it's allowed to be ultimately mostly by corporations.
4. China are claiming the food was from an external source

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So Twitter has to give up their Free Speech? Yeah, I don't see that ever happening.
Also, having both these two presidents on gives them a bad reputation. They can just ban both of them. I'm sure their share holders would love it
An individual has free speech. While the USA likes to treat companies better than people they are still private entities and it seems pretty funny that the company itself should be allowed free speech but not people using it or within it lol.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
An individual has free speech. While the USA likes to treat companies better than people they are still private entities and it seems pretty funny that the company itself should be allowed free speech but not people using it or within it lol.
So if Twitter doesnt have free speech, guess what that means? It HAS to force its employees to do the same. Every employee looses their freedom of speech

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Ideally, they shouldn't be using their free speech to suppress or censor the free speech of others.
(inb4itsaprivatecompanyblahblahrightsblahblahgovernment)

Imagine if China was in control of fact-checking. Or Russia. Or North Korea. Or the US Government.
People can imagine how horrible that could be. But people think it's okay when a "private company" does it.
Wait. What are you talking about? They are being critical - putting a 'this is disputed' thing on tweets. That's not censorship

I think everyone should be fact check. Even governments. They shouldn't stop anyone for seeing speech (eg. removing tweets). Everyone gets the right to fact check because that's free speech

Can we stop pretending criticism is censorship or suppression, please? It's not. Its the opposite

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Wait. What are you talking about? They are being critical - putting a 'this is disputed' thing on tweets. That's not censorship
I haven't personally verified this because I don't have Twitter, but "disputed" tweets are unable to be shared or retweeted. That should count as censorship.

But this is quibbling over words. Call it censorship, suppression, dissuasion, or whatever else you want. Twitter is trying to say "you should not believe this". At best, this is manipulation.

Like I said, imagine if China were in charge of this. Anything critical of China would be tagged as "you should not believe this"
Imagine if Nvidia was in charge of this, and tagged AMD's speed-tests with "you should not believe this".

Imagine if a candidate running for President had his or her tweets tagged with "you should not believe this". Think of how many people use Twitter and how that might influence how they vote? Oh wait, we don't have to imagine it, it's happening.

You have nothing to say on this subject, do you? You have nothing to say about the real potential for causing harm, swinging elections, and manipulating the populace. That's what I'm against, and why I'm against it. There's a potential for REAL HARM when you allow powerful interests to manipulate your thinking. Even if it's just a "this is disputed!" warning.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You have nothing to say on this subject, do you? You have nothing to say about the real potential for causing harm, swinging elections, and manipulating the populace.
And when the president of the USA flagrantly lies, that's not manipulating the populace and trying to swing elections?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
And when the president of the USA flagrantly lies, that's not manipulating the populace and trying to swing elections?
I think you're missing Houseman's point. Trump should never be allowed to be critical of anyone or anything based on Houseman's version of Free Speech. Because he called a whole bunch of things FAKE NEWS. Trump told them they shouldn't believe the media.