Twitter allows state controlled People's Daily China news agency to spread unproven claims about Coronavirus originating outside of China

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If twitter wants to fact check they're going to have to start applying corrections too for news companies who are too lazy to update or check info or two biased to want to let the nice narrative they have get ruined by such things as facts.
Aren't they fact checking news corps already. Just not consistently yet

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Aren't they fact checking news corps already. Just not consistently yet
Only some, and blocking some stories from being shared entirely.

This is why Twitter really should have stepped back and only taken to interfering in major cases like say the Bleach Cult etc. Otherwise they should have been promoting replies from actual experts disputing the claims being made etc. Twitter has set itself up for absolute hell as now it's going to have to be the media watchdog in essence.

Reactions: Ender910

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Hey, just checking. This sentence about the president you wrote here, were you implying Trump as an example? Here I'll make sure I quote you again so you cannot mistake which sentences I'm talking about
Yes.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Only some, and blocking some stories from being shared entirely.

This is why Twitter really should have stepped back and only taken to interfering in major cases like say the Bleach Cult etc. Otherwise they should have been promoting replies from actual experts disputing the claims being made etc. Twitter has set itself up for absolute hell as now it's going to have to be the media watchdog in essence.
The Florida bleach thing? Becuase I would have said that a minor case. Because it impacted only a few people. The

Maybe I’ll ask it this way. What makes the Bleach Cult major and NASCAR minor?

I do like the idea of experts disputing the claims but how is this implemented? Is this going with your previous comments about specific individuals having this power? Why wouldn’t Twitter just be able to block experts they don’t like? Wouldnot it just become a rent seeking program, experts needing to pay for the ability to fact check?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Jack Dorsey thinks running a multi-billion dollar company is a part-time job. Not a very bright person.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I would have thought the very fact it was State Sponsored media would be enough clue to anyone with half a brain it’s going to be self-serving rhetoric and bullshit. Twitter should need to put a disputed sign on this horse shit because everyone knows it should be disputed.

I also repeat my preference for statesmen and women to stay off Twitter in any professional capacity.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
As far as I’ve read, you don’t like manipulation of votes, etc by Twitter or Trump or anything
I think that an individual influencing votes is fine, as all individuals are on an equal playing field in a manner of speaking.
I think that manipulating social media, what people see or don't see, marking things as "disputed" etc, is going too far.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
As far as I’ve read, you don’t like manipulation of votes, etc by Twitter or Trump or anything
It is interesting though.

So Trump says mass fraud is occurring in Pennsylvania. If CNN, or AP etc. write an article on Trump's claim, and also point out the fact no mass fraud has been uncovered or proven in Pennsylvania, the only conclusion we can come to is that the media are telling people not to believe Trump. Therefore, any article on what Trump says cannot include any facts that contradict what Trump says, otherwise the media are twisting things to skew an election against him, QED.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Florida bleach thing? Becuase I would have said that a minor case. Because it impacted only a few people. The

Maybe I’ll ask it this way. What makes the Bleach Cult major and NASCAR minor?
Oh you don't know about the Bleach cult?

$32,000 a month to $123,000 a month from just one outfit doing it and there's others been springing up. Some governments tricked into believing it...... it's big.

I do like the idea of experts disputing the claims but how is this implemented? Is this going with your previous comments about specific individuals having this power? Why wouldn’t Twitter just be able to block experts they don’t like? Wouldnot it just become a rent seeking program, experts needing to pay for the ability to fact check?
Then have multiple experts.

I mean some of this stuff people have been fighting basically off their own backs without the big company paying them specifically to do it.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It is interesting though.

So Trump says mass fraud is occurring in Pennsylvania. If CNN, or AP etc. write an article on Trump's claim, and also point out the fact no mass fraud has been uncovered or proven in Pennsylvania, the only conclusion we can come to is that the media are telling people not to believe Trump. Therefore, any article on what Trump says cannot include any facts that contradict what Trump says, otherwise the media are twisting things to skew an election against him, QED.
I believe a news organization should be allowed to endorse or disapprove of a candidate. I also believe it's in their best interest NOT to do so.

But a social media platform should not interfere.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Oh you don't know about the Bleach cult?

$32,000 a month to $123,000 a month from just one outfit doing it and there's others been springing up. Some governments tricked into believing it...... it's big.
So I assumed it’s this: I am blocked from watching your video in my country for some reason. So I don’t know.

Then have multiple experts.

I mean some of this stuff people have been fighting basically off their own backs without the big company paying them specifically to do it.
Does having multiple experts stop the spread of misomformsfion on Climate Change or COVID? As I said, it’s. nice idea. But how is it different from now?

I’m pretty sure I’ve stated multiple times that I want more fact checking, not less

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I think that an individual influencing votes is fine, as all individuals are on an equal playing field in a manner of speaking.
I think that manipulating social media, what people see or don't see, marking things as "disputed" etc, is going too far.
And what do you want done about this manipulation?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So I assumed it’s this: I am blocked from watching your video in my country for some reason. So I don’t know.
Ah try this one then.

It's part of the same thing but it's far bigger than just one small church.

Does having multiple experts stop the spread of misomformsfion on Climate Change or COVID? As I said, it’s. nice idea. But how is it different from now?
Names being put to the claims. People can check and if they for example find the experts timeline is them spreading debunked claims and insane theories about one party or the other than people can see it more as a partisan move vs if they're seen as a well established expert not taking sides as much.

For all we know the person fact checking at present could be Kevin the copy boy at twitter whose mate Phil told them the info in the tweet was wrong.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Names being put to the claims. People can check and if they for example find the experts timeline is them spreading debunked claims and insane theories about one party or the other than people can see it more as a partisan move vs if they're seen as a well established expert not taking sides as much.

For all we know the person fact checking at present could be Kevin the copy boy at twitter whose mate Phil told them the info in the tweet was wrong.
I’m mean, his name is Bob and he’s the coffee guy.

So, I know that Jim Sterling got black listed from most review copies of games. Becuase he didn’t say what companies wanted him to say. What you’re suggesting is similar to that, a critic for the news. Won’t you get the same problem. The expert won’t be able to tweet because they disagree with company policy?

What I’m getting at is that I’d prefer Twitter somehow being broken up to reduce their power.. Twitter has too much power right now and can get around a bunch of this stuff using its own market power. Trying to break that power might be the best first step

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
They do, we already have laws against libel and slander.
How have they helped in any way? Trump got to call people rapist and murderers. Musk called someone a pedophile. John Oliver got to sing Eat Shit, Bob. They don’t seem to be working