Twitter Considering New 10,000 Character Limit

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I don't like this.

Those of you complaining about the character limit have no idea what you're talking about. The limit imposed upon one forced a user to be creative and edit their remarks, for me anyway. Its like a fun game to restructure the sentence to fit under the limit but still contain the same meaning, and it's fun to read short little micro posts. For me anyway.

140 limit is what makes Twitter unique. Take it away and all your left with is a tumblr clone.

Also anyone bitching about Twitter in general, for god sakes, lighten up. It's fun. I've made friends through it. Also Charles Darwin's wife use to keep a personal diary for herself that was essentially a proto-twitter, she'd only write like 1-3 sentences. I look forward to one day combing through my old tweets and reading my old thoughts.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I use twitter a lot, mainly to post dumb throwaway jokes and shit. It'd be cool if they integrated something like twitlonger, so you could post the headline and link to the full thing, but it would be stupid to do a 10,000 character limit on the scroll and I don't think they would do that. I like that 140 characters forces you to get to the fucking point, but I've always thought it was just a little short. I'd welcome an increase to 160, or a change where links/photos/and @ responses don't eat into the character limit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Enquirer said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
I don't get the fuss. Do people need to limit themselves to these tiny lengths then? Can they not control or trust themselves not ramble or, god forbid, explain something properly? It just becomes facebook but still slightly more annoying now. Nothing to get all up in a panic about.
I think it's that they're taking the most unique thing about the site and essentially removing it. Consequently that 140 character limit forced people to give concise, to the point questions, which is what made it such an effective platform for people to ask questions and receive answers to them because they couldn't afford to ramble on.
Well, unless people started segmenting their posts into 140 character "chapters," which happened a fair amount. Or far as I've seen anyway.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
140 is a bit low but its the point. I would think 500 would be more than enough. 10k is...well its over 9000

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Something Amyss said:
The Enquirer said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
I don't get the fuss. Do people need to limit themselves to these tiny lengths then? Can they not control or trust themselves not ramble or, god forbid, explain something properly? It just becomes facebook but still slightly more annoying now. Nothing to get all up in a panic about.
I think it's that they're taking the most unique thing about the site and essentially removing it. Consequently that 140 character limit forced people to give concise, to the point questions, which is what made it such an effective platform for people to ask questions and receive answers to them because they couldn't afford to ramble on.
Well, unless people started segmenting their posts into 140 character "chapters," which happened a fair amount. Or far as I've seen anyway.
At least from what I've seen those "chapters" tend to be whining about something someone did and tend to not get a response from the person they're directed towards.

I'm not saying a character limit increase wouldn't be a terrible idea, just 10k seems, as many others have put it, excessive. That can be a good 2-3 pages in a word processor. At that point just use this damn thing: http://www.twitlonger.com/

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
While I'd like to see the character limit raised a bit, 10k is a tad overkill. There's been a few times I've tried to post something but I needed just a little over 140 characters, about 500 would be better, or 250.

But hey, I don't really use Twitter anyway so in the end I don't even care.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I think in once sense a relatively low character limit makes good sense, it pushes people to be concise but I think 140 is rather restrictive. I would push it up to 4/5 hundred characters. Still restricts people to a couple of sentences so it won't start to overlap with traditional online journals, but would give people more room to say their thing.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The Enquirer said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
The thing is, facebook (as far as i'm aware) doesn't appear to have any character limit, yet most people still only stick to short sentences, memes or at the most a short paragraph. Exceptions being science or news posts (or the odd political ramble *looks around suspiciously*). Now unless there are seas of salivating opinionated minds held at the gates just waiting to be released, i honestly don't think it will change much at all, this worry and dismay comes off rather silly and vaguely humourous at a mere change of character limit, like taking the training wheels off a scared child's bike. It'll be ok. It won't be as bad as everyone appears to think it is.
As for a limit forcing creativity; well, assuming one isn't creative enough without a limit, a kitchen full of only condiments forces creativity with having to make something to eat, that doesn't make it preferable though.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
#HashTag Motherfucking Jesse Eisenberg jesus christ fuck dude motherfucking Facebook movie bullshit jesus can you fucking believe this shit Goddamn created Facebook

...Can't wait to spam entire rants.
I'm joking, I've never even had a twitter account and I don't really plan on starting now. Partly because I don't have a cellphone.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Enquirer said:
I'm not saying a character limit increase wouldn't be a terrible idea, just 10k seems, as many others have put it, excessive.
Neither am I saying it's a good thing. I am merely pointing out what happens because it happens and is evidently quite common.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
dear god, they're pulling a youtube comment section

...whelp, it'll be fun to see how this'll go to shit

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Something Amyss said:
The Enquirer said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
That's because those people are in the wrong place and there is already another site for them. It's called tumblr.
If you need several 140 character posts to express something, then twitter was obviously never meant for you. The only time I've seen people need more space on a regular bases is by professional victims and people attacking the professional victims. Drama queens only.
Everyone else manages to bring over their thoughts because they use the site for what it's mean. A PR stage for short messages about something new with links and/or images giving the real explanation.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Oh, gooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooyayooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooood. More spermy, spunky spam. Can't wait to see all those deep thoughts jizzing their way down my screen. Whatever, I guess I'll just deal with it by paying less attention.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
That's because those people are in the wrong place and there is already another site for them. It's called tumblr.
DSoesn't matter. They're there. In numbers. And with the number of people in "the right place" on the decline, it won't matter.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
Parasondox said:
Yaaaay. More characters for people to be offensive, offended and be a major narcissistic arsehole.

Bring on more stupid Hashtags
Ninja'd from the word go. Granted you did it in a more polite and professional manner. Kudos!

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Well that's just racist/sexist/transphobic/homophobic/xenophobic/fataphobic.... if you ask me. #replacetwitterwithawomanafteryoucancelcolbertbecauseits2016andthingsthatmattermatterbutnotallturtlesoryessallbears...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Or realize this is not the 90s anymore and do away with arbitrary character limits.

Gibbagobba said:
This is a joke, right? This really would defeat the site's purpose entirely.
Twitter had a purpose? Unless that purpose was to limit nuance in speed to make everyone look like idiot assholes, i dont see it.

The Enquirer said:
I think it's that they're taking the most unique thing about the site and essentially removing it.
if the most unique thing about the site is the worst thing about the site....

BiH-Kira said:
That's because those people are in the wrong place and there is already another site for them.
No, whats in the wrong place is a character limit. its place is in the history books.