Twitter Now Accepts Telepathy

Feb 13, 2008
Twitter Now Accepts Telepathy

With Twitter rapidly becoming the medium of communication for the stars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/staff/twitter], one man has managed to send a Tweet using only the power of his mind.

Working at the University of Wisconsin-Madison biomedical engineering departement, Adam Wilson managed to update his own social networking page using an Electroencephalograph (EEG). The EEG is basically a skullcap that detects electrical activity in the brain, and by combining it with a simple communication interface, the message "using EEG to send tweet," was uploaded.

The system was built by Wilson, his adviser Justin Williams, research scientist Gerwin Schalk and a number of his colleagues at the Wadsworth Center in Albany, New York.

It works by placing the entire alphabet on screen while you think about the letter you want to "type", for example the letter R. As each of the letters blink, your mind concentrates on the R and ignores the rest of the characters. When the R blinks, your brain registers that something has changed and the EEG picks up on that and adds the R to the character buffer.

It's slow work at first, but tests have shown that some people can get up to eight characters a minute. And that's eight more characters than there have been before for sufferers of spinal cord injuries.

"This is one of the first - and perhaps most useful - integrations of brain-computer interface techniques with Internet technologies to date," says Schalk.

A video of the setup can be found here [http://nitrolab.engr.wisc.edu/media/P3Twitter.mov].

Source: WisBusiness [http://www.wisbusiness.com/index.Iml?Article=156008]

Nossy

Jul 18, 2008
I should stop reading what Escapist staff post in the forums, they always make me lose my faith in humanity a little more. It's already bad enough our politicians dick around on their phones while they should be listening to important stuff like fixing the economy, but this...this...wow, I'm done for the day. I don't even want to finish my rant. I'm gonna go beat off then play Grim Fandango while huffing glue to remind me of simpler times, like when Whoppers were a dollar and Johnny Cochran was still alive.

This will be abused by fat people and morons, to give them more of a reason not to use their god damn bodies for anything except to eat and order prostitutes who charge double cause the asshole who summoned them is disgusting. This will not help humanity, but hinder it and though I appreciate all your damn optimism, it's not going to be used for what it was intended for.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Optimus Prime said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
One step closer to a non-verbal society...
Yay, finally the idiots will shut up!
Agreed, except now we'll be able to see into the sordid depths of the minds of those at 4chan. Imagine the horror...

(Off topic, since there seems to be a lack now of true horror games, someone should do a game based on 4chan. That would be the horror to end all horrors... :s)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
That's pretty awesome...but no match for my mighty (and easy) 100 characters per minute.
/boasting

Anyway, maybe one day we'll become huge, floating brains.
That would kick ass.
Remember Futurama? That didn't go so well.

Tweeting with your mind? Good lord. It's awesome to see the insane progression of technology...

Feb 13, 2008
Nossy said:
I should stop reading what Escapist staff post in the forums, they always make me lose my faith in humanity a little more. It's already bad enough our politicians dick around on their phones while they should be listening to important stuff like fixing the economy, but this...this...wow, I'm done for the day.
I'm a little taken aback by this. You don't believe that helping crippled people talk online is a good thing?

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
Nossy said:
I should stop reading what Escapist staff post in the forums, they always make me lose my faith in humanity a little more. It's already bad enough our politicians dick around on their phones while they should be listening to important stuff like fixing the economy, but this...this...wow, I'm done for the day. I don't even want to finish my rant. I'm gonna go beat off then play Grim Fandango while huffing glue to remind me of simpler times, like when Whoppers were a dollar and Johnny Cochran was still alive.
You mean
Humaity faith -1
Homicidal rage +1

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Nossy said:
So people with paralyzing injuries aren't allowed to type on the internet, which is what this is designed for...wow. You're not seeing the big picture. No healthy average person has any use for this.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Yay! Inefficient ways of communication that are SO cool anyway.
I think that there is better advancement on controlling shit with your mind regarding the EPOC Headset [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpmSiMiscA] though.
...and that's a gaming console too.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Fightgarr said:
I think that there is better advancement on controlling shit with your mind regarding the EPOC Headset [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpmSiMiscA] though.
It's only inefficient...

FOR NOW!

Nossy

Jul 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Nossy said:
I should stop reading what Escapist staff post in the forums, they always make me lose my faith in humanity a little more. It's already bad enough our politicians dick around on their phones while they should be listening to important stuff like fixing the economy, but this...this...wow, I'm done for the day.
I'm a little taken aback by this. You don't believe that helping crippled people talk online is a good thing?
I don't see it as helping paralyzed people being able to talk, I see it as another reason for people just to be stupid and lazy, which I'm sick of.

TheTygerfire said:
Nossy said:

So people with paralyzing injuries aren't allowed to type on the internet, which is what this is designed for...wow. You're not seeing the big picture. No healthy average person has any use for this.
See above for my retort.

liamlemon7 said:
Nossy said:

You mean
Humaity faith -1
Homicidal rage +1
Congrats! You're one of the lazy people who will be using this.

Feb 13, 2008
Nossy said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Nossy said:
I don't see it as helping paralyzed people being able to talk, I see it as another reason for people just to be stupid and lazy, which I'm sick of.
May I humbly suggest that a jaundiced eye is in no way better than rose colored glasses.

Fightgarr said:
Perhaps, but as the EEG is a standard instrument in many hospitals and the technology is only in it's infancy, it keeps up with the EPOC before you include the hefty price tag.