Twitter Now Accepts Telepathy

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
From fart-o-matic chairs to instant brain messages.

Oh what will that wacky Twitter do next.

Nossy

Jul 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Nossy said:
Nossy said:
I should stop reading what Escapist staff post in the forums, they always make me lose my faith in humanity a little more. It's already bad enough our politicians dick around on their phones while they should be listening to important stuff like fixing the economy, but this...this...wow, I'm done for the day.
I'm a little taken aback by this. You don't believe that helping crippled people talk online is a good thing?
I don't see it as helping paralyzed people being able to talk, I see it as another reason for people just to be stupid and lazy, which I'm sick of.
May I humbly suggest that a jaundiced eye is in no way better than rose colored glasses.

Fightgarr said:
Yay! Inefficient ways of communication that are SO cool anyway.
I think that there is better advancement on controlling shit with your mind regarding the EPOC Headset [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpmSiMiscA] though.
...and that's a gaming console too.
Perhaps, but as the EEG is a standard instrument in many hospitals and the technology is only in it's infancy, it keeps up with the EPOC before you include the hefty price tag.
So what? You're going to sit there and tell me that people will use this exactly what it was meant for?

Feb 13, 2008
Nossy said:
So what? You're going to sit there and tell me that people will use this exactly what it was meant for?
Given what it means to be hooked up to an EEG (I've had one), I think it's more likely to be used for beneficial purposes, and again, the technology is in it's infancy.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Nossy said:
Yes, because you wouldn't have the equipment unless you DID need to use it. Do you realize this isn't some infomercial Magic Jack product, this is nearly million dollar equipment that could provide the injured better ways to communicate. Next you'll tell me Steven Hawking is lazy for having a computer controlled by his eyeballs.

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
"This is one of the first - and perhaps most useful - integrations of brain-computer interface techniques with Internet technologies to date," says Schalk.
That's kinda sad. I mean, the technology is impressive, but I would hope there would be something more useful than tweeting in the works.

EDIT: I didn't really think about injured people. I could see a use there, but I don't know how many cases there would be where voice recognition wouldn't be superior.

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
That's pretty awesome...but no match for my mighty (and easy) 100 characters per minute.
/boasting

Anyway, maybe one day we'll become huge, floating brains.
That would kick ass.
Well said.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Nossy said:
Until they start selling them at WalMart, yes.
And I do believe a lazy person would rather type so they can say "lawl i c wat u did thar" than actually have to use there brain to type.
I think you're making a problem out of nothing.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
I wish that i could have a go with that machine. I wonder how fast i could type think.

Feb 13, 2008
Knonsense said:
EDIT: I didn't really think about injured people. I could see a use there, but I don't know how many cases there would be where voice recognition wouldn't be superior.
Obvious one would be when the voice isn't available. Damage to the spinal chord can easily paralyse muscles used for talking, tracheotomy, a number of possible cases.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Your spine has been smashed. You cannot talk. You can barely move. All you can do is live and breathe with the assistance of others. You have only your senses and no output: you have no mouth, and you must scream.

This device enables you to speak again through selective character recognition. Admittedly, the connection to Twitter is simply to stimulate the headlines, but text-entry is different from mouse-control, and Twitter's powerful APIs and text-based simplicity makes it a good candidate. Now hook it up to a command-line system instead, and suddenly you have the ability to run programs by name selection. A text editor? Now you can write down the entirety of how you feel, how you came to be in your situation, your hopes and dreams, the ideas you've been having. Or you can just let the world know you exist.

The sheer negative reaction to this astounds me. I would hate to be trapped in my body without speech, motion, anything more than death - it is living hell. This is the first of many, many small steps to mitigate that.

And in the long-term? This is just another advancement for humanity in the Cognitive sciences. Combined with Biological, Informational, and Nanotechnology fields, we're building a better human.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
An interesting development and a start at least. Maybe it'll be the dawn of a new...
SharPhoe said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
One step closer to a non-verbal society...
PLus we'll find out how many people actually think in chat-speak.
...scratch that, we're all doomed!

aussiesniper

Mar 20, 2008
I've actually read a new scientist article about a sheet of rubber with an embedded electrode grid (sugically implanted between skull and brain) that has been used in a very similar fashion, but is many hundreds of times more sensitive and easy to use. If I recall correctly, users could control a cursor on a computer screen easily after 30 minutes of practice.

Edit: The article is here [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13332]