Twitter suspends Chinese Embassy account.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
https://gizmodo.com/twitter-suspend...r-wo-1846102647/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Twitter suspends the account of Chinese Embassy in the US, for describing Uyghur women as "baby-making machines".

Is it a good move? Is Twitter going too far? Unacceptable censorship, or acceptable moderation?
Should private companies like Twitter be able to limit speech of state outlets? Should they be given more leniency than the average user?
Should every such case be approached separately?
These are not the questions that keep me up at night, but still, they seem important. Discuss.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It should be left up so that everyone can see it and form their own opinions about both China, and about their local politicians who do business with the Chinese government.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
https://gizmodo.com/twitter-suspend...r-wo-1846102647/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Twitter suspends the account of Chinese Embassy in the US, for describing Uyghur women as "baby-making machines".

Is it a good move? Is Twitter going too far? Unacceptable censorship, or acceptable moderation?
Should private companies like Twitter be able to limit speech of state outlets? Should they be given more leniency than the average user?
Should every such case be approached separately? Discuss.
I'm of the belief that social media companies should ban government agencies of countries that ban the social media in their country.
I understand why they don't. I think they should, though.

Reactions: Revnak

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Took them long enough. They didn't even do anything about the tweet for days until journalists kicked up a fuss.

Reactions: Gergar12

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
"We find Twitter’s restriction on the embassy account baffling and hope it will uphold the principle of objectivity and impartiality instead of applying double standard,” Hua added. “Greater efforts should be made to distinguish between disinformation, rumors and lies from facts and truth.”
CCP: No fair! We are the only ones allowed to silence people goddanmit!

Although comparing it to Chinese censorship is unfair considering Twitter isn't throwing Chinese people into jail cells for having an opinion.

Reactions: CM156

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020

Should every such case be approached separately?
These are not the questions that keep me up at night, but still, they seem important. Discuss.
Good. If China won't let foreign information into its country we shouldn't let their "information" into ours.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This I think is just oppression stack stuff. Muslims give more virtue points than the chinese so while twitter would ban you for calling covid the kung-flu or something else like that, they ban them for badmouthing their muslim population. Twitter has no standards or principles, it's just playing this game.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This I think is just oppression stack stuff. Muslims give more virtue points than the chinese so while twitter would ban you for calling covid the kung-flu or something else like that, they ban them for badmouthing their muslim population. Twitter has no standards or principles, it's just playing this game.
Possibly, but historically it seems that the people that decide who and who not to ban from Twitter might be a small team of drunken monkeys.