Two Million Gamers Sign Up for CoD Elite Beta

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Two Million Gamers Sign Up for CoD Elite Beta

There's plenty of interest in the beta, but Activision says the more the merrier.

For all the complaining you see about Call of Duty Elite, Activision's new service for its wildly popular FPS games, on internet forums, a lot of people seem to be excited - or at least curious - about it. Activision's Dan Amrich has announced that registrations for the service's beta have hit two million people in less than two weeks.

Writing on his blog [http://www.oneofswords.com/2011/06/cod-elite-2-million-beta-signups-and-counting/], Amrich said that the Elite beta would be a "live" beta, and the data and feedback that players generate when it goes live on July 14th would have a real bearing on the final form of the service. He also said that despite the large numbers, people should keep applying for the beta. Two million people was actually only a small portion of Call of Duty's 30 million strong audience, he said, and more people in the beta would be even better.

Activision unveiled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110483-Activision-Unveils-New-Call-of-Duty-Online-Service] the service late last month. Elite adds a whole host of social elements to the games, such as user groups and custom leaderboards, and detailed player statistics. There will also be optional premium elements which will require a subscription, although, other than the downloadable map packs, Activision hasn't been forthcoming with what they will be.

Call of Duty Elite launches on October 8th, alongside Modern Warfare 3.

Source: via 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/call-of-duty-elite-beta-attracts-2-million-sign-ups]

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Actually, I'm quite surprised. Two million? Maybe I'm just looking at the appeal of COD Elite in an erroneous way; I expected a lot more beta subscriptions given how large and rabid the COD community is.

Perhaps the beta has only signed on the 'hardcore' thus far?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Fucking baaa... Ugh I hate this planet

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Fucking baaa... Ugh I hate this planet

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Hmm. I didn't think that many people would be interested. Ah well, as long as Elite actually provides a service that helps people enjoy the game more, I have no problem.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Why are people paying for this? At least Bungie had the decency to make Waypoint free...

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
There's a big difference between signing up for a free beta out of curiosity and actually buying the service.

There's still hope for the world...

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I'm guessing that most of these people are the kind that don't go on forums and only buy the new FIFA/CoD when it comes out. Like my brother.

Generalizations are fun!

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Well who doesn't want to be part of the exclusive Elite COD Players, who are the best of the best, and shown true valor on the battlefield, here they will see where the excell in skills over others and how much they are Elite. They will join others who are worthy of the name Elite [small][small][small]Warning Elite is not exclusive. Anyone can join for a small fee per week. Being part of Elite is in name only. There is no impact to the game. Subscription is not included in Live Subscription[/small][/small][/small] Be part of Elite!!! Today.

OT:Well hopefully Activision will now consider adding some more things to this service that actually are worth a subscription instead of pointless stats that have no impact on the game.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Casimir_Effect said:
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!
Dont think thats what most people who are hating on this service mean, i dont anyway... the problem been look what happened when activison rolled out the same game year after year breaking records, every other develoepr thought " ooo lets try and copy cod " if this service becomes popular i can see every other developer thinking " ooo lets try and copy cod again "

Thats what worries me anyway...

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
Well I signed up for it, more out of curiosity than anything else.

True, it'll probably be pointless but at least then I can try it for myself and experience what it's actually like instead just make whiny comments about it, without actually trying it out.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

It's right in there fellas.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Pardon the language, but who the f*** is actually falling for this c***load of f***ing s*** up a ******** with a few ****** and ***** with a goat in a ***** skoda!?

Even those words can't describe my bewilderment at those two million people.

We should not be encouraging activision. Never. In any way. We need to send them a clear message that we won't stand for this stuff!