Two Million Gamers Sign Up for CoD Elite Beta

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
First of all, let me take great pleasure in annoying you all by saying, that I signed up for the beta, and I will probably buy the real thing as well. Because I like to play CoD, and this appeals to me. Sorry for having a different opinion than you, that's just the way it is.

Second of all, what the fuck. People are complaining, about a completely optional feature, which has no impact on them whatsoever. Calling everyone who signed up for the Beta sheep, and stupid! With all respect every one of those people who decides to insult us can shut the fuck up. People have different opinions, you might not like it, but other people do. Obviously if you don't like CoD, fair enough you won't like this as well, but some people who do play CoD do like this.

One person even said "Can we not call them gamers please". It sort of makes me wonder what thought process some people go through to get to ridiculous conclusions like this...

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I'm a bit confused. I know it is a subscription based thing but how is it different to normal COD multiplayer?

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I really hope that this doesn't take off. I don't have anything against the service or people choosing to pay for it, they're free to do whatever they want with their own money, I just don't like the precedent it sets. You pay for a console or a high powered computer, you pay $60US for a game, if you're on Xbox you pay your Xbox Live subscription - now this? When is it going to be too much? From what I've seen the service doesn't even offer much and serves more as Bob Kotick's experiment to turn Call of Duty into a regular Wow-esque cash cow - as if it wasn't enough already.

It's always about more more more and not more game but more money and how much more money the producers think they can charge for their product. What are they spending this extra money on? It's certainly not more game, it's initiatives like this that serve to charge you even more money for services that could be recreated free on some website. It's fucking ridiculous.

I've already voted with my wallet on Call of Duty and haven't bothered with them for a couple of years now. It's a shame though, I like big dumb popcorn blockbusters - but there's no way in Hell I'm going to pay top dollar for one. So I do without. It's no great loss either but you know what, with all this talk of boycotts and dissatisfaction I expected consumers to start sending a message. And they have. They've sent a message that they're thrilled to be paying more for less, that they will keep paying whatever price is demanded of them.

That annoys me but it's not like there's anything I can do about it.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
I'm not surprised at all. It's really sad how gullible gamers have become. From accepting being connected online to play single player (Steam, Ubicrap drm) games to paying for online play (XBL, COD Elite) to cloud gaming (OnLive) to buying the same game every year (sports franchises). I guess the community gets what it deserves. :(

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
C95J said:
First of all, let me take great pleasure in annoying you all by saying, that I signed up for the beta, and I will probably buy the real thing as well. Because I like to play CoD, and this appeals to me. Sorry for having a different opinion than you, that's just the way it is.

Second of all, what the fuck. People are complaining, about a completely optional feature, which has no impact on them whatsoever. Calling everyone who signed up for the Beta sheep, and stupid! With all respect every one of those people who decides to insult us can shut the fuck up. People have different opinions, you might not like it, but other people do. Obviously if you don't like CoD, fair enough you won't like this as well, but some people who do play CoD do like this.

One person even said "Can we not call them gamers please". It sort of makes me wonder what thought process some people go through to get to ridiculous conclusions like this...
Wow. I must thank you for actually being a reasoning human being, good sir.

And the way that I read it, was that you don't have to pay to use the service, period, but if you pay for it, then you get extra content, like map packs, and the like. There's nothing really wrong with that.

One person said that MW2 was just MW1 with more guns. What, exactly, is wrong with that, again? CoD4 was fun, yes, but the fact was that you only had one single attachment option for pistols and sniper rifles, and as "many" as three at one time for any other weapon, was kind of sad. We only had two shotguns. We could only have one attachment at any given time. Grip took away your ordnance perk. You could never get more ammo unless you killed someone with a weapon that fires your caliber. Or the same weapon, of course. The weapon selection wasn't very good. When MW2 rolled around, you had at least five weapons for every section, as well as an entire selection wall for some, as well as for attachments.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
It still surprises me that people on this site are still saying you have to pay to use the basic.service. Despite in every news post on this site it says its free except for optional premium subscription, which nothing about it is known apart from maps. So're everything else you.heard about it is free. I know ill be trying it, maybe in beta, but definitely at launch, and wont pay a cent. And ppl saying that this is already made for other games and such, its such a copy blah blah. Maybe it is, but its new for CoD, and mostly free. and thats what matters here.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Casimir_Effect said:
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!
There is such a thing as setting a precedent, as well as ignoring what other people do for free already.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
And Activision has yet again found a good way to make money. I just hope that other companies don't take an example.

And no I don't have anything against people who buy this. People can do what they want with their money and maybe COD Elite will be a good service but I'm personally not going to buy any COD game anymore. I'm just sick and tired after MW2 and Black Ops.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Not surprising if you think about it; for all the disdain of CoD on the Escapist forums, it's still is the most popular FPS franchise in gaming. And a lot of people have money to burn.

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
You could easily rephrase that as "Two million dumbasses sign up for CoD elite beta". Christ Activision have an easy marketing campaign don't they? They could make a CoD where every enemy has a trollface and people would still buy it because it has guns in it, and therefore they feel tough and manly where in fact they are brainless losers who have nothing better to do than play a mediocre FPS who's only claim to fame is being able to indoctrinate retards because it has an XP bar. *takes breath* (1)

(1)Opinion may be biased due to hatred of CoD*

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
MaxPowers666 said:
Still Life said:
Actually, I'm quite surprised. Two million? Maybe I'm just looking at the appeal of COD Elite in an erroneous way; I expected a lot more beta subscriptions given how large and rabid the COD community is.

Perhaps the beta has only signed on the 'hardcore' thus far?
I sure there is a large group of CoD fans who dont even know this thing exists. Think about it if all you really play is a CoD game then you have no reason at all to visit a games website. This would mean there is a decent chance you have never even heard of this thing.

You may have a point there. Though, even having said that, I'm surprised. We're talking, what? 30 million (roughly) people in the COD community? I know the demographic you're referring to, yet I doubt all them live under a rock. COD Elite is big news for one of the largest franchises in gaming.

Time will tell.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
AndyCobra said:
I signed up and I can't wait for MW3, cause I love COD games and I'm not afraid to said it
I think level-headed gamers don't have a problem with you liking a popular game. I have to ask, what is it about COD Elite that appeals to you? Do you think it will add anything substantive to your gaming experience?

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Fucking baaa... Ugh I hate this planet
silverbullet1989 said:
2 million sheep... please activison, take our money, pleaseeeee
Cough* Free Beta*Cough

OT: If I was a more motivated person, I would take the time to check it out.

I have to say, smart move for having a free beta.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Why all the complaints? So what, people want some free Beta service just to see what it's all about. Doesn't mean they have 2million paying subscribers. Until that time, stop being so self important and just wait patiently.