Two Million Gamers Sign Up for CoD Elite Beta

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Captain Placeholder said:
Still Life said:
AndyCobra said:
I signed up and I can't wait for MW3, cause I love COD games and I'm not afraid to said it
I think level-headed gamers don't have a problem with you liking a popular game. I have to ask, what is it about COD Elite that appeals to you? Do you think it will add anything substantive to your gaming experience?
I know you were talking to him - but as a Fellow CoD player I would like to put in my opinion as well if you wouldn't mind.

To me - it is just an addition to the already great CoD MP (Don't mention MW2 to me, PLEASE) and to be able to get into tournaments with ease, talk to friends and get free map packs to a game I love, why not?

What I want to know - why do people continue to say it is like WayPoint? Last I remember (unless they have updated it) is that you don't get free map packs, you don't get to see past games or try to get into tournaments. You don't get to see heatmaps, weapons or anything like that do you? Please don't mention the website - I am talking about a piece of software separate from the game and website. Which form what I gathered CoD Elite was :/ (I am in no way trying to bash Halo considering that I do like Halo)
That's perfectly valid reasoning. I'm a PC gamer myself, and a lot of the community features can be found through alternate means; I'm just trying to understand what COD Elite is and how it benefits the community. How did you engage with the social aspects of COD? Do you think the service will help bring together a fractured community?

On the note of free maps: It has been said that the cost of map packs will be included in the monthly fee, so I guess the value of that would be based upon how often the devs release map packs and at what quality. Personally, from what I've seen of the map DLC offerings from the last two games, the $15 tag was a bit of a rip.

I know we haven't got all the information yet, but I haven't been convinced that the community needs a separate piece of software for social networking and strategy tools which are already available free and easy to access.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
This just in, 2 million morons with money to burn continue to destroy the gaming market.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Captain Placeholder said:
The Rockerfly said:
I didn't realise most of Wales signed up because all of these 2 million must be sheep

Fucking baaa... Ugh I hate this planet
Excuse me? Do you have a problem with those who live in Wales?
No I just wanted to make a baaaaad joke so I could get my head round these numbers

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
silverbullet1989 said:
Casimir_Effect said:
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!
Dont think thats what most people who are hating on this service mean, i dont anyway... the problem been look what happened when activison rolled out the same game year after year breaking records, every other develoepr thought " ooo lets try and copy cod " if this service becomes popular i can see every other developer thinking " ooo lets try and copy cod again "

Thats what worries me anyway...
Woodsey said:
Casimir_Effect said:
Oh no! People are signing up for a service which will improve the experience of playing a game they love.
How dare they spend their own money in such a way?!
There is such a thing as setting a precedent, as well as ignoring what other people do for free already.
The companies who get drawn to this system are the ones who would have done it eventually anyway. This concept of paying monthly for online services outwith MMO games (such as WOW and Eve) has been kicking around for a while now, Activision are just the first to jump on it. Personally, I've been waiting for this to happen for a while now and welcome it, as I welcome the inevitable EA copy-cat response. This will be the start of something new in the industry, it'll be a branching point in the sales model and could shake things up at last.

Being a majority PC gamer for the last few years has taught me 2 things:
1. Which publishers (eg Paradox & Valve) and developers (eg. CDProjekt & Creative Assembly) actually give a shit about providing good value, well-made and innovative games.
2. That if PC gaming died tomorrow I couldn't care less; because I have at least 20 years worth of fantastic things to play, only a small fraction of which I have played or own already.

The people who sign up for something like CoD elite are the ones who play that game almost exclusively. Other companies are not losing potential customers. As for other companies seeing the extra money Activision are getting, Activision are already making amounts they can only dream of so I doubt they'll really believe this monthly payment model will work for them. Unless that other company is a direct competitor such as EA, in which case the games you love will not be affected - only Manshoot 34: Shoot Men Hard will be - and it would have happened eventually. Only certain kinds of games will ever be vulnerable to this sort of model, single-player only ones should be quite safe.

And if I'm hideously wrong, that's what point 2 above is for.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Anybody else seeing any similarities between Bobby and George Lucas ? Like a fucking Pokemon evolution.

I loved every bit of MW2 but didn't buy the 15 dollar map pack and I am not gonna buy this either. It won't change the MP or SP experience. And if they pull off something like the Elite guys get more guns, the whole community is gonna flip out. So, nothing to worry about.

The sheep give them money to make more games. I like that. What would we do without our sheep?

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Heh. How many of those are just taking advantage of it while it's free and will immediately jump ship when it starts costing?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Number 6 said:
My apologies, but saying 'this' in a thread about the Beta can cause a bit of confusion.
I didn't make my entire argument clear and that was my fault. I apologize for that. My main concern is that they will find a way to trap people into the service if they accept the "free" beta. This might just be my general distrust of anything with the word "free" attached to it. Nothing is free; we just have to figure out how they will make us pay for it.

Again, I apologize.