Two New Mystery Holes Appear in Siberia, Scientists Baffled About Their Origin

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Two New Mystery Holes Appear in Siberia, Scientists Baffled About Their Origin

Scientists still have no heading in discerning what has been causing these holes to form.

Two weeks after the original phenomenon occurred [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136207-Giant-Mystery-Hole-Opens-in-Siberian-Region-Named-End-of-the-World-Update], two new enormous holes have been found- one in the Siberian province of Yamal (which translates to "the end of the world") and another that lies due east in the Kransoyark region. Officials and scientists are still unsure as to what caused the event.

The first hole was explored and measured at 195 feet in diameter with a depth of around 300 feet. The second hole inside Yamal has a diameter of 50 feet, and its depth is currently unknown. The third hole in Kransoyark was 13 feet in diameter and is estimated to be around 200 to 325 feet deep. Deputy of the regional parliament Mikhail Lapsui spoke to The Siberian Times in an interview, saying, "I flew by helicopter to inspect this funnel on Saturday, July 19th...[There is] ground outside, as if it was thrown as a result of an underground explosion."

The newly found Yamal hole was witnessed by local residents forming on September 23rd of last year. There are two separate accounts: One claims the ground began to smoke and was followed by a bright flash, while the other indicates that a celestial body fell and crashed into the permafrost. The Kransoyark hole was discovered accidentally by local reindeer herders from the village of Kosok when they almost fell into it.

None of the local geologists, ecologists, or historians have come to an agreement concerning what could have caused these giant holes to form. 'It is not like this is the work of men, but neither does it look like natural formation,' said one account. Theories currently range from meteorites, stray missiles, a man-made prank and aliens- to an explosive cocktail of methane or shale gas suddenly exploding.
Do you think these holes were formed naturally or supernaturally? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Source: The Siberian Times [http://www.universityherald.com/articles/10648/20140729/2-new-large-holes-appear-in-siberia-as-scientists-are-still-unsure-how-they-got-there.htm]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Mole men! It's obviously mole men. They're preparing an invasion force to exterminate us surface dwellers.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I dunno, there must be one hell of a troll in Russia if hes moving nearly 92000 cubic ft of material for the sake of controversy.

Also, how close would theese things happen to be to the Kola borehole?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm secretly hoping it's some natural event as a result of meddling mankind. So we can have some spectacular (and hopefully not dangerous) extreme example of why we should respect the earth and not exploit it unsustainably.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Quite obviously crab people.

OT: I would love to abseil down these.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I wonder when/if they solve this if the discovery will shed any new light on the Tunguska event.

gigastar said:
Quite a distance, many hundreds of miles if my Geography isn't that rusty maybe even around a thousand. If your thinking is going where I am thinking it is though you might be interested to know that GazProm are tearing the Yamal region up in oil and gas exploration and extraction...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
J Tyran said:
I wonder when/if they solve this if the discovery will shed any new light on the Tunguska event.

gigastar said:
Quite a distance, many hundreds of miles if my Geography isn't that rusty maybe even around a thousand. If your thinking is going where I am thinking it is though you might be interested to know that GazProm are tearing the Yamal region up in oil and gas exploration and extraction...
Admittedly thats not exactly what i was thinking, but yeah that would be the most probable cause.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Just based on the photos alone, I'd rule out a meteorite. It looks more consistent with an underground explosion pushing material outward, followed by loose soil and rock slipping down into the cavity.

It probably involves gas, and given all the extraction that goes on in the Siberian region, there's a good chance it was unwittingly caused by humans.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
gigastar said:
J Tyran said:
Neither Tunguska nor the Cola borehole are even remotely near the reported locations of these holes. They are thousands of miles apart from those locations and each other.

The Cola borehole is located near the Norwegian border [https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=69.396219,30.608667&spn=0.05,0.05&t=m&q=69.396219,30.608667].
The Tunguska ground zero is.. um... here [https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=60.901944,101.904444&spn=0.01,0.01&t=m&q=60.901944,101.904444].
The mysterious holes were found somewhere on Yamal [https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=71,70&spn=5,5&t=m&q=71,70], Gydan [https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70,79&spn=1,1&t=m&q=70,79] and Taimyr [https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=74,100&spn=10,10&t=m&q=74,100] peninsulae.

I suppose it's tempting to see connection between these places since they are located in one country, but Russia is HUGE. I don't think the holes are related to Cola Superdeep or Tunguska in any way.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I find it weird that environmentalists have been cawing for years about methane releases in Siberia, but when there's giant holes suddenly appearing out of nowhere in Siberia, they suddenly stop mentioning it. o__O

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Ok now this is getting interesting!

Hopefully this turns out to be something interesting like stray missiles or a secret government project!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lacktheknack said:
I find it weird that environmentalists have been cawing for years about methane releases in Siberia, but when there's giant holes suddenly appearing out of nowhere in Siberia, they suddenly stop mentioning it. o__O
yep, in the last article i said there is no mystery, only predicted methana gas erupting due to climate change. i still see no evidence to the contrary. especially with lead thoery being "Gas eruption".

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Honestly, there's been so much shifting of the crust and other shit like that, not to mention our constant meddling with the earth itself that it makes me think that this is probably just the result of some support giving way. Be it a giant crack turning into a hole or as others suggested, gaseous releases of natural resources, this was probably just a matter of time.

It is, without a doubt, incredibly amazing to see these geological formations. As a mild enthusiast of geology, I wouldn't mind getting to see one of these up close and personal and learn the kinds of 'perfect' or 'man made' conditions that are causing these formations to occur.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Betting some of us are hoping that it is alien related. For one I am.

Unless they come to kill us all!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Scientists still have no heading in discerning what has been causing these holes to form.
Really? Because they apparently had a pretty good idea in the last article.

"We can say for sure that under the influence of internal processes there was an ejection in the permafrost," Dr. Plekhanov said. "I've never seen anything like this, even though I have been to Yamal many times."

Anna Kurchatova from the Sub-Arctic Scientific Research Centre believes global warming may be to blame, suggesting that rapid melting of the under-soil ice released gas and caused an effect similar to the popping of a champagne bottle cork.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136207-Giant-Mystery-Hole-Opens-in-Siberian-Region-Named-End-of-the-World-Update

But if we're speculating it could just as well be the jolly green giant's Russian cousin harvesting his carrots.