Two New Sonic Games are Coming in 2017

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Two New Sonic Games are Coming in 2017

Sega announced two new Sonic games over the weekend.

Sega announced a pair of new Sonic games over the weekend, both of which are slated for a 2017 release.

The first, Sonic Mania, marks a return to 2D gaming, combining reimagined Zones and Acts from Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles with "all-new Acts and bosses." Sonic Mania is expected to release digitally in Spring 2017

"Sonic Mania was born out of our fans' love of the classic Sonic 2D platform games," said Takashi Iizuka, Head of Sonic Team. "This type of collaboration is a first for SEGA and we hope everyone will be both surprised and delighted by this title. Sonic Mania has been a passion project for the entire team and we look forward to sharing more details about it later this year. Having the game actually playable at the event itself tonight was testament to the dedication of the team behind it."

[gallery=6355]

The second game, being developed by the team responsible for Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, was announced at the end of Sonic's 25th anniversary party at San Diego Comic-Con. "Project Sonic 2017" will be available, both retail and digital, Holiday 2017, with additional information coming "at a later date."

"Today brought thousands of fans together from all over the world to get a look at all the facets of our beloved Sonic the Hedgehog from his foundation in video games to music, TV, mobile, toys, fashion and beyond," said Ivo Gerscovich, Chief Brand Officer of Sonic Pillar and SVP of SEGA of America. "This is only the beginning for Sonic and we're happy our fans were here to celebrate this exciting new direction."

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The best part of this is knowing we get to see Arin have to play them on Game Grumps and utterly hate them.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Super excited for Mania. The team behind it is pretty dope.
Will withold judgement on Project Sonic until we get to see a little more of it, but if it's being done by the teams of Colors and Generations, then it should be solid, so here's to looking forward to more news about that one.

Also, inb4 Sonic Cycle comments.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Not so sure about a Generations sequel, but Mania looks legit. Hope it comes out for 3DS too. Seems like it would be perfect for handhelds.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I hear people have already started complaining that neither of those games was Sonic Adventure 3

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Aeshi said:
I hear people have already started complaining that neither of those games was Sonic Adventure 3
Was it me? Be honest, it was me, right?

I'm one of those who keep hoping for Sonic to fun again. That said, people are getting excited when we don't even know if that's the case yet. Its unclear what Sonic Mania is. Is it a remake? Compilation? A Generations styled new game but based on old stuff?

And the 3D one...well...they were smart to use the right developer, but Sonic Boom was a thing, so I must always be doubtful until I actually play it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"Oh my god, it's actually good! Sonic doesn't suck any more! Our savior has returned! Paint your household pet blue and mutilate baby foxes in thanks!"

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Well,the games coming out are all well and good,guys,but I don`t think sitting through that travesty that was the 25th Sonic Anniversary was worth sitting through to find out about this.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I really hate that I have to temper my excitement. I really do. But we're talking about a Sonic game at this point. And Sonic games have an iffy reputation. Plenty of them are bad and even some of the good ones are flawed (Projared had a review of Sonic Adventure 2 to point this out).

However, Mania looks promising. Reimagined classic levels in a 2-D side-scroller is something I like the idea of. Just make it good. And keep a lot of the classic music. Sonic 2 and 3 had some of the best music in their generation.

And the Sonic Project has a decent pedigree. I hear that Sonic Colors was good and Sonic Generations was great with only a few minor flaws. So count me as interested in this one as well.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Saltyk said:
However, Mania looks promising. Reimagined classic levels in a 2-D side-scroller is something I like the idea of. Just make it good. And keep a lot of the classic music. Sonic 2 and 3 had some of the best music in their generation.
I wonder if they might put in some of the cancelled levels from the old sidescrollers, like Dust Hill Zone, Genocide City Zone or the Sonic 2 version of Hidden Palace Zone. It would be a great piece of fanservice for the diehard Sonic afficionados.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Aeshi said:
Yeah. The funny thing about those people is that they actually fail to realize how crappy the Adventure games really are.

Mar 30, 2010
I like to think the actual announcement went something like this:

Sega: "Hey Sonic fans! Great news! The last 25 years of fuck-uppery officially haven't happened!"
Fans: *Squeee!* "Thanks Sega, you're the best! If we can do anything for you just say the word!"
Sega: "Well, now you mention it ... get all that shit off Deviantart, you weirdos."

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Did...*snigger* ...did anybody see any of the 25th anniversary live-stream? It is...*chortle* well, see for yourself;

On the technical side alone, I think the same QA team from Sonic Boom was kept on for that event.