Two Worlds II Developer Calls Foul on Publishing Delay

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Two Worlds II Developer Calls Foul on Publishing Delay

The publisher of Two Worlds II [http://www.amazon.com/Two-Worlds-2-Playstation-3/dp/B0021TVYCG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285794854&sr=1-1] says that it chose to delay the game into next year for additional development, but the developer says that the game is already done.

Earlier this month, SouthPeak Games absolutely flawed Two Worlds [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103551-SouthPeak-Delays-Two-Worlds-II-Without-Warning]), indicating that SouthPeak felt there was still work to be done on the title.

The people actually working on the title, on the other hand, don't agree. Oh, that's not to say that they don't agree with the delay - they just don't think that SouthPeak's stated reason was the right one.

Development on Two Worlds II was absolutely finished, a representative of TopWare Interactive told GameSpot [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6280012.html], and the decision to delay the game came from concerns that it would be overshadowed in a crowded holiday season. "Truth be told, fans only have so much time to spend playing these content-rich games, and there were concerns our title could potentially be lost in the fanfare," said the studio's managing director James Seaman.

"Our publishing partner SouthPeak, to their credit, has acknowledged this fact and made an adjustment, postponing their launch of Two Worlds II into early 2011." However, everything on the development side, said Seaman, had been finished - production, bug testing, localization and the like. The European launch of the game (planned for late October) and the North American launch (now planned for next year) would be virtually identical with the exception of any patches added to the game after its European release, he said.

So, in other words, either SouthPeak was lying, or there is a severe communications breakdown somewhere along the line here. Either way, this is embarrassing for somebody - if you're going to lie, folks, make sure you get your story straight with everybody involved first.

Apr 28, 2008
If they want people to be playing it for a long time, release it during the summer "game drought". Pushing it back to March 2011 doesn't exactly fix the "crowded release" problem, as quite a few seem to be going for that date. Or close to that date at least.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Quite frankly... TopWare... it doesn't matter why it was delayed, or how finished you think your game is at this stage... whatever the real reason is, your publishers are GIVING you extra time to work on the game. MAKE USE OF IT! More often than not... aren't potentially great games ruined because the devs. didn't have the time they needed to polish the game?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
So just holding it back for there own reasons? They know its just as bad as the first...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
"breathtaking" "Gamers have a surprise in store" "intriguing"

The hell is it with reviewers and those lines/words, "breathtaking" could mean so ugly and horrid controls you just go silent, loss of words. "Gamers have a surprise in store" Ye, they made a sequal to Two Worlds. "Intriguing" again, intrigued that they actually got to make a Two Worlds 2.

And as mentioned above, they shouldn't push it back to spring release, that's actually when most game publishers set their date, spring, and fall.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
So wait they want to release it around the same time POKEMON comes out.... What?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:
If they want people to be playing it for a long time, release it during the summer "game drought". Pushing it back to March 2011 doesn't exactly fix the "crowded release" problem, as quite a few seem to be going for that date. Or close to that date at least.
March? They said January.

Apr 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
Actually they said "early 2010", which could mean anything. But most games seem to be going to March, so thats why I assume thats what they'll peg it for. January is still possible though.

Either way, I'd prefer it come out this summer.

Also, isn't it annoying how this site eats posts?

schuttecookie

Nov 18, 2009
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Does it really matter, is anyone actually going to buy the game?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
CastedPhil said:
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Does it really matter, is anyone actually going to buy the game?
accutaly yeah, I got my copy pre-order and was sad to see it get delayed 1 week from release, all previewers have all said the game is coming out to be great.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Korten12 said:
Actually they said "early 2010", which could mean anything. But most games seem to be going to March, so thats why I assume thats what they'll peg it for. January is still possible though.

Well most sites say January but for reason they said Early 2010. :p

about the site eats post, you talking about when you post and it doesn't appear?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
No more embarrassing than the first game. Seriously, how on earth did it get a sequel?

Apr 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Korten12 said:

about the site eats post, you talking about when you post and it doesn't appear?
Yes I am. I find it very annoying.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Korten12 said:

Yes it is annoying, I make a mistake but can't fix it becuase the site claims it is gone! :mad:

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
therandombear said:
"breathtaking" "Gamers have a surprise in store" "intriguing"

The hell is it with reviewers and those lines/words, "breathtaking" could mean so ugly and horrid controls you just go silent, loss of words. "Gamers have a surprise in store" Ye, they made a sequal to Two Worlds. "Intriguing" again, intrigued that they actually got to make a Two Worlds 2.

And as mentioned above, they shouldn't push it back to spring release, that's actually when most game publishers set their date, spring, and fall.
Did Two Worlds do well enough the first time to desearve a sequal even?

*Edit*

Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
Korten12 said:

Yes it is annoying, I make a mistake but can't fix it becuase the site claims it is gone! :mad:
Ive double posted two or three times because I though the site ate my post. Doesnt help when you home connection is so bad, ever post has the chance of being 404'd.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Hmm I'd hate to be put in court for something minor in-front of a jury of escapist users.

We seem to have a problem with giving people a second chance.

Either way this game looks damn good in my opinion, I got the first and liked the ideas in it just not the overall execution.

I expect to purchase this in the near future.

Oh and the article confused me, is it just delayed in America (i.e will be released in Europe on time?)

If yes, WIN!

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Quite frankly... TopWare... it doesn't matter why it was delayed, or how finished you think your game is at this stage... whatever the real reason is, your publishers are GIVING you extra time to work on the game. MAKE USE OF IT! More often than not... aren't potentially great games ruined because the devs. didn't have the time they needed to polish the game?
Reread it. It's not being delayed in the EU, therefore there's no "extra" time to work on it. It'll just mean that the US release might come with patches on-disc.