TYPE-MOON reviews: Tsukihime

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Gregorius said:
NeutralDrow said:
Gregorius said:
...oh, wait. "Shingetsusan Tsukihime". I forgot about that for a second...
...it was a good second, too. And now it's lost forever.
Well, <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.142352>while that second is gone, anyway...
I love it. This review is actually as accurate as I remember the anime actually being.
Unfortunately, though... I don't remember a hell of a lot about the anime. Recently, the thoughts of watching TYPE-MOON's best work (read: Fate/Stay Night) again have filled my mind seeing as how I just got the full collection as of last week.

One thing I will say, though (that isn't related to the review): Please, please, please, do Fate/Stay Night and Melty Blood reviews as soon as possible... :3
I think that's the only thing that's going to keep me coming to this forum (see user column: 63 posts in 1-1/2 years) in the future.
Unfortunately the plan for Fate/Stay Night is to review it with me, and I'm coming along rather slowly with it too (hooray for horribly slow reading). Sorry for holding it back.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Gregorius said:
NeutralDrow said:
Gregorius said:
...oh, wait. "Shingetsusan Tsukihime". I forgot about that for a second...
...it was a good second, too. And now it's lost forever.
Well, <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.142352>while that second is gone, anyway...
I love it. This review is actually as accurate as I remember the anime actually being.
Unfortunately, though... I don't remember a hell of a lot about the anime. Recently, the thoughts of watching TYPE-MOON's best work (read: Fate/Stay Night) again have filled my mind seeing as how I just got the full collection as of last week.
Full collection? You mean the F/SN anime? I do plan to get to that one, too (it was much better than its Tsukihime counterpart).

One thing I will say, though (that isn't related to the review): Please, please, please, do Fate/Stay Night and Melty Blood reviews as soon as possible... :3
I think that's the only thing that's going to keep me coming to this forum (see user column: 63 posts in 1-1/2 years) in the future.
Fate/Stay Night will be a bit, but I will get to Melty Blood in a couple of reviews. I'm halfway through a Devil May Cry review, which is giving me time to finish and review Kanon. After Kanon, I'm going to be playing True Love, but I'll have a Melty Blood review out before I finish that.

And then I'll probably add an Actress Again corollary to it, once I have enough to import and play a copy of the game!

A random person said:
Unfortunately the plan for Fate/Stay Night is to review it with me, and I'm coming along rather slowly with it too (hooray for horribly slow reading). Sorry for holding it back.
Bah, don't worry about it. Took me three and half days to finish that game...as in, 84 hours. It's like reading Lord of the Rings, really, but through a less portable medium!

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
lordlee said:
Speaking of FSN reviews Drow, might I possibly worm my way into it? 3 perspectives should be interesting (I'm betting Random will like Fate the most, just because that'd be hilarious).
Hmm. I...guess that'd be all right. Only if it's okay with Random, too, though.

Not sure about that one point, though. Wouldn't that require I talk down to Fate (which contradicts my huge fanboyism for Saber) and Unlimited Blade Works? I'm assuming my defense of the route and my somewhat-less-than-hidden lust for the sexy goddess who is Sakura Matou would lead me to do Heaven's Feel. Not sure...

EDIT: ...wait. Sheena?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
lordlee said:
Speaking of FSN reviews Drow, might I possibly worm my way into it? 3 perspectives should be interesting (I'm betting Random will like Fate the most, just because that'd be hilarious).
Hmm. I...guess that'd be all right. Only if it's okay with Random, too, though.

Not sure about that one point, though. Wouldn't that require I talk down to Fate (which contradicts my huge fanboyism for Saber) and Unlimited Blade Works? I'm assuming my defense of the route and my somewhat-less-than-hidden lust for the sexy goddess who is Sakura Matou would lead me to do Heaven's Feel. Not sure...

EDIT: ...wait. Sheena?
Hey, it's OK if lordee joins in. Just know that it's gonna be a while before I would have played enough to review (again, really slow reader, as in my dad suggested going to a therapist for it. I blame the standardized testing), and I think it should be a three-parter, one part for each arc. Also know that I'm mostly going to be the funny guy (think my Nanoha review), or at least try to be. It just fits my style best.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
A random person said:
Hey, it's OK if lordee joins in. Just know that it's gonna be a while before I would have played enough to review (again, really slow reader, as in my dad suggested going to a therapist for it. I blame the standardized testing), and I think it should be a three-parter, one part for each arc. Also know that I'm mostly going to be the funny guy (think my Nanoha review), or at least try to be. It just fits my style best.
lordlee said:
Oh I suppose we could each do one route, I was thinking we all talk about the routes. We could write over a Skype conference or something on the subject, or just do the rather rough method used in the Raidy review.
Hmm...personally, I'm more inclined to the "single review" idea. There's probably enough in each route to make an okay review, but how they all tie together is really the most impressive aspect of the story, and that's a lot easier to get across in one stroke. It'll likely be a long review, of course...but it's a long game, too. What else could it be?

But yeah, we'll figure it out when the time comes.

And yes, Sheena. Historically I've liked her more, but what with my shift to the cake eating side of the force, Raine is my favorite now.
Ah. Just caught me off-guard. Didn't realize you played that game, too (...you've probably mentioned it before, in which case it likely just slipped my mind). I'm used to associating that game with Random, Kuchinawa, and Kraken (in a different way).

I'm a Colette devotee, myself, though I'm 3/4 of the way through my second playthrough, with Raine.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Ah. Just caught me off-guard. Didn't realize you played that game, too (...you've probably mentioned it before, in which case it likely just slipped my mind). I'm used to associating that game with Random, Kuchinawa, and Kraken (in a different way).

I'm a Colette devotee, myself, though I'm 3/4 of the way through my second playthrough, with Raine.
I didn't know you associated me with Tales of Symphonia, I'm not even that far in it (up to the point where the governor's daughter is working for the Desians, and I'm finding it hard since the combat makes me feel stupid). I most likely fit into the pro-Colette camp, though, unlike Kraken.

As for the review, I'll read more of Fate/Stay Night and start throwing ideas around in the Visual Novels group, which is effectively the clubhouse for us three.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
lordlee said:
NeutralDrow said:
And yes, Sheena. Historically I've liked her more, but what with my shift to the cake eating side of the force, Raine is my favorite now.

Well Symphonia is my favorite, but I've yet to play a bad Tales game. Even Dawn of a New World was decent to me.
Actually, I loved DotNW. I'm probably in the minority on that one, though...s'probably why I threw that into my "speculative" list on the reviews.

As for Colette... well it's the Sakura matter again. I don't HATE her, I just think she's vastly outclassed by all the other women.
I can get that. I sometimes get defensive about her (one of a very, very few characters I do), because she seems to have an anti-fanbase. Confused me immensely, since I was drawn to her immediately. Fun fact:

"During the first third of the game, the cutscenes after every boss battle, when it becomes increasingly obvious just how much Colette is suffering for her quest, all start to add up, culminating in her <color=white>losing her soul. This troper nearly cried...and only didn't because the next boss, <color=white>Remiel, made some highly disparaging comments about her, and humanity in general. As such, the emotional response <url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnstoppableRage>shifted abruptly."
- <url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TearJerker/TalesSeries>Video Game Tear Jerkers, Tales Series

Oftentimes, I'll curse at a game screen out of frustration. Very, very few times have I done so out of genuine anger. That was one of those times.

A random person said:
I didn't know you associated me with Tales of Symphonia, I'm not even that far in it (up to the point where the governor's daughter is working for the Desians, and I'm finding it hard since the combat makes me feel stupid). I most likely fit into the pro-Colette camp, though, unlike Kraken.
I associate you because of that whole "pledge of support" thing, Kraken for our amicable disagreement (it's not Colette specifically he dislikes, it's the story and characters in general), and Kuchinawa for...obvious reasons.

As for the review, I'll read more of Fate/Stay Night and start throwing ideas around in the Visual Novels group, which is effectively the clubhouse for us three.
Works for me.

Omega NZ

Apr 26, 2009
Another good review, will have to look into this one as well. At first I was a little put off by eroges because I figured it would be mainly about the hentai, but seeing as though your review for A Drug that makes you dream was so positive, I decided to give it a shot. I am thoroughly enjoying it and have since started looking into other ones. Was wondering if anyone has played either Kizuato or Shizuku? They look quite good...

Anyways just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to the genre.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Omega NZ said:
Another good review, will have to look into this one as well. At first I was a little put off by eroges because I figured it would be mainly about the hentai, but seeing as though your review for A Drug that makes you dream was so positive, I decided to give it a shot. I am thoroughly enjoying it and have since started looking into other ones. Was wondering if anyone has played either Kizuato or Shizuku? They look quite good...

Awesome! more blood for the blood god! :p hehehe

My personnal recommendation for a good one would probably be fate/stay night if you're more into visual novels, and maybe Castle fantasia 2 if you like "final fantasy tactics" style combat games

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Omega NZ said:

Yay! Always good to hear that someone enjoyed something I recommended, especially as proof that I didn't accidentally con them out of their time or money. And good to hear that it piqued your interest, too. Like I said, this game in particular was what got me started! Though ironically, it was actually Tsukihime's fighting game spinoff, Melty Blood, that brought it to my attention in the first place...I'll be getting to that game before long.

As for those two titles, I'd never heard of them before you brought them up (though they're apparently connected to To Heart, which I have heard of). <url=http://vndb.org/v184>Their <url=http://vndb.org/v235>descriptions do sound kind of interesting. Doesn't look like either have English translations, though, and my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to manage one of these games...

Omega NZ

Apr 26, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Yay! Always good to hear that someone enjoyed something I recommended, especially as proof that I didn't accidentally con them out of their time or money. And good to hear that it piqued your interest, too. Like I said, this game in particular was what got me started! Though ironically, it was actually Tsukihime's fighting game spinoff, Melty Blood, that brought it to my attention in the first place...I'll be getting to that game before long.

As for those two titles, I'd never heard of them before you brought them up (though they're apparently connected to To Heart, which I have heard of). <url=http://vndb.org/v184>Their <url=http://vndb.org/v235>descriptions do sound kind of interesting. Doesn't look like either have English translations, though, and my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to manage one of these games...
Yeah I just saw them on the wikipedia page and I thought they looked interesting...but no english translations huh? That's unfortunate, seeing as though I know about two words from the japanese language. Ah well, still have to finish a "Drug that Makes You Dream" anyhow lol

Durxom

May 12, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
-mega snip-
I just finished installing Melty Blood last night, and I'm loving it =D (has only done some training and versus so far), but would it be recommened to try this game out first before trying to understand Melty Blood's (heard that it also a decent story too)? Since you are the apparent TYPE-MOON master here o-o I thought I would ask your opinion about it...

...-wishes the ReAct patch would work for him- T_T

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Durxom said:
NeutralDrow said:
-mega snip-
I just finished installing Melty Blood last night, and I'm loving it =D (has only done some training and versus so far), but would it be recommened to try this game out first before trying to understand Melty Blood's (heard that it also a decent story too)? Since you are the apparent TYPE-MOON master here o-o I thought I would ask your opinion about it...

...-wishes the ReAct patch would work for him- T_T
Technically, no, you don't have to play this game first. Melty Blood (of which I'd have a review out already, were it not for the twin conditions of writer's block and World of Warcraft) has its own independent story, that supposedly follows events of a route not in the original Tsukihime. It's probably safe to assume that the only identical event is probably Nrvnqsr's death; Melty Blood already tells you more-or-less who Shiki, Arcueid, Ciel, and Akiha are, and doesn't go into Hisui or Kohaku.

In fact, probably the only things spoiled by Melty Blood are Ciel being a Catholic vampire hunter, Akiha being a <color=white>demon hybrid, and one giant thing about Satsuki.

...matter of fact, if you can't guess what that thing is, I recommend playing Tsukihime before moving on to Re-Act (should you get it to work). She's playable in that one, and it's impossible to miss what's strange about her.

This is all in addition to my recommendation for this game anyway, of course!