Tyranny - the Newest RPG from Obsidian - Now Has a Release Date

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Tyranny - the Newest RPG from Obsidian - Now Has a Release Date

Obsidian's newest RPG is Tyranny, and it's coming out in early November.

The newest game from Obsidian has stayed surprisingly under the radar. Everyone was aware that the developer was already working on Pillars of Eternity II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167459-Pillars-of-Eternity-2-in-Development-at-Obsidian-CEO-Confirms], but did you know that there's also another RPG titled Tyranny in the works?

Tyranny drops players into a world in the aftermath of being taken over by an evil overlord. But you aren't the hero tasked with saving it; instead, you're a high-ranking official for that evil overlord, and you have to set up the new world order. The decisions you make while roaming the world will shape how it develops, and the game's official website [http://www.tyrannygame.com/] promises that, "you will find the world a drastically changed place each time you play Tyranny."

Obsidian has opened up pre-orders for the single-player only game, which you can find on publisher Paradox's website [https://www.paradoxplaza.com/games?franchise=160]. The base game, called the Commander Edition, will set you back $45 and will include the game, some ringtones, a forum icon and forum avatars.

Stepping up to the $60 Archon Edition will add several digital bonuses on top of the Commander Edition, including a detailed map, short story collection, wallpaper collection, original soundtrack, exclusive forum avatars and a coat of arms.

If that's not enough, you can go for the $80 Overlord Edition that includes everything from both of the previous editions, and adds a digital collector's guide book and a digital art book.

Tyranny is coming to PC on November 10.

[gallery=6565]

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I've told myself I'll stop hyping myself up for shit. But I keep failing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Interesting. I'm really trying to not spend too much money as of late, but this is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Kiall

Jan 8, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Yaay! Obsidian may make buggy as Hell games but they are always fun now it looks like I'm going to have two great roleplaying games coming out pretty close together this and the new Torment. I rarely pre-order but in this case it just had to be done.

I love it when a developer just says, 'Hey, next month our game is out, come buy it' rather than, 'Hey we have an idea for a game, come back in 12 months and we'll show you some drawings.' Heck, I'm pretty sure this game's existence was only announced in March.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Worst bonus offers ever. Ringtones and forum avatars? What, is it a mobile game?

Leviathan

Oct 13, 2016
Saelune said:
Worst bonus offers ever. Ringtones and forum avatars? What, is it a mobile game?
I'm not big into pre-order bonuses myself, so I didn't mind. I hate when gameplay / content is restricted to those among us who can drop $60+ on a game before its quality can be assured.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Leviathan said:
Saelune said:
I'm not big into pre-order bonuses myself, so I didn't mind. I hate when gameplay / content is restricted to those among us who can drop $60+ on a game before its quality can be assured.
I dont want pre-order DLC or anything either. Really Id rather they just not waste our time with all these high cost versions.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Saelune said:
Leviathan said:
Saelune said:
I dont want pre-order DLC or anything either. Really Id rather they just not waste our time with all these high cost versions.
Then don't?
You don't see value in any of the expensive versions, so it's perfectly natural to not but them. But don't underestimate the value of maps to RPG fans. I've seen some of them, animals I used to call friend, do terrible... things to get their hands on official maps.

also "while you're here, pay for the soundtrack" is common in development for "AA" studios.

Nov 28, 2007
That...is a really cool idea for an RPG. I try not to get hyped up too much, but even if Obsidian games are buggy, I still enjoy them. Here's hoping this one lives up to the cool premise.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MCerberus said:
Saelune said:
Leviathan said:
Saelune said:
Then don't?
You don't see value in any of the expensive versions, so it's perfectly natural to not but them. But don't underestimate the value of maps to RPG fans. I've seen some of them, animals I used to call friend, do terrible... things to get their hands on official maps.

also "while you're here, pay for the soundtrack" is common in development for "AA" studios.
15$ for a digital map? No thanks. My initial copy of Morrowind game with a paper map. Im sure I can look up the map if I need to for free after people who spent that extra cash buy it and post it.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Saelune said:
MCerberus said:
Saelune said:
Leviathan said:
Saelune said:
Then don't?

15$ for a digital map? No thanks. My initial copy of Morrowind game with a paper map. Im sure I can look up the map if I need to for free after people who spent that extra cash buy it and post it.
but it wouldn't be YOUR version of the map. Then we're getting into the idea of patronage where, sure, you can get it for free if SOMEONE pays for it. So it doesn't make sense for you, but it does for someone else.

And I actually applaud this version of collectors editions. Because you're not blocking off parts of the game/selling power while giving extra arts out to people interested in such things. About the only improvement would be a printed copy with cat-sized clothing (like the old HALO helmets)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MCerberus said:
Saelune said:
MCerberus said:
Saelune said:
Leviathan said:
Saelune said:
Then don't?

but it wouldn't be YOUR version of the map. Then we're getting into the idea of patronage where, sure, you can get it for free if SOMEONE pays for it. So it doesn't make sense for you, but it does for someone else.

And I actually applaud this version of collectors editions. Because you're not blocking off parts of the game/selling power while giving extra arts out to people interested in such things. About the only improvement would be a printed copy with cat-sized clothing (like the old HALO helmets)
A digital copy is a digital copy. Same as everyone else's. I dont need to buy things I can just get for free on gamefaqs.

I think most collector's editions are bullshit by the way, and almost never buy them. The main reason I ever do is usually cause of some actual value, or because its part of some bundle of things. Most of the time though, they arent worth it.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Don't preorder this! Obsidian can't release anything that isn't a buggy mess. Wait until it has been out long enough to go on sale and save yourself money and annoyance.