U.K. Bans PlayStation Move Ad for Being Too Violent

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.K. Bans PlayStation Move Ad for Being Too Violent

A poster advertising the PlayStation Move [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293046828&sr=8-1] has been banned in the U.K. after the Advertising Standards Authority received complaints that it was too violent.

The ad in question shows a snappily-dressed chap in three different fighting poses, the last of which includes a pained-looking ruffian in a headlock who's about to eat a knuckle sandwich, or possibly a Move wand. Whatever the case, people complained and the ASA dropped the hammer.

Don't get the idea that there was some roiling tsunami of outrage against the ad, however. A grand total of eight people submitted complaints, two of which actually accused it of condoning racist violence because the attacker appears white while the victim is black. But eight was enough for the ASA, although it rejected the accusations of racism, saying that while the two brawlers had "slightly different skin tones," there were no actual undertones of racial violence.

Eight complaints may not sound like many but as the ASA points out on its website [http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/Complaints-Procedure/Complaints-and-investigations-process.aspx], it has the power to act even on just one. "We don't play a numbers game," the site says. "Our concern is whether the Codes have been breached. Of course, sometimes the number of complaints received can have an impact - this is particularly the case when we are considering matters of taste and decency."

Sony U.K. told Campaign [http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1047465/Offensive-PlayStation-Move-ad-banned-ASA/?DCMP=ILC-SEARCH] that the ad was intended to advertise the Move controller, not any particular fighting game, and that it had "taken steps to ensure that the images were not graphic." Nonetheless, the ASA has made its decision and the ad may no longer be displayed in the U.K. in its current state.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
The smile on that man's face as he punches the ruffian will forever be embedded in my crying, crying soul. It's not wonder it was pulled, he looks all too happy.

But seriosuly, that's not violent. Reminds me of when ads were pulled in my city. Prince of Persia where he was holding a gun, or something. Kid complained that it gave him nightmares, that's right. One complaint got it pulled off of all city buses.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
The United Kingdom bans something else for being too 'graphic'.
Oh. There's a surprise.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
This seems overly strict to me, but I guess it does violate their rule.
ASA Regulations said:
#4.4
Marketing communications must contain nothing that is likely to condone or encourage violence or anti-social behaviour,
I don't see it as encouraging violence, but I could see how someone else could.
Still, makes me wonder if they are this strict on other advertisements as well.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
What!? Something besides family friendly mini-game collections for a motion controller!? We must ban it!

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
How on earth is that graphic. Who is complaining? I bet, like usually, it's really old people with nothing better going on.

I mean seriously, it doesn't even show the punch connecting.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
hey, i'm just glad something was being banned due to violence rather than sex. granted, it's the UK, not the US. i'm sure no one would have a problem with that in the US. but stick boobies on it and there'd be hell to pay!

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I'd say I didn't know there was an add, but I would have to be slapped for the idiocy

Jun 26, 2009
Whoever in the country thought it was inciting racial hatred?!
And... Wow... Just wow... Thanks fellow citizens of the U.K.. You stopped anti-social behavior from happening! I am forever in your debt! [/sarcasm]

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I don't see it as graphic, but I can understand if someone else who does.

But the the two who accused it of racism need to get their eyes checked. The virtual man dosen't look like a black person.

Oct 14, 2010
Oh, man. I thought they were talking about the Kevin Butler ad at first. The way he chomps into that turkey leg is vicious!

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Thyunda said:
Oh. There's a surprise.
PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wait...You're serious?

And you're sure you meant to say "Kingdom" instead of "States"?

Oh...

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Thyunda said:
Oh. There's a surprise.
Getting pretty sick of it living think going to move some where more liberal

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Hey! No Xbox360 fanboyism yet! Let's keep it that way!

Anyway I don't see any violence in that, all I see is a guy in a headlock about to have his nose broken by a plastic controller aided fist

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
murphy7801 said:
Getting pretty sick of it living think going to move some where more liberal
I'm starting to wonder precisely where is liberal enough that both sex and violence will not raise undue fuss. Back home in Canada isn't too bad but it's not exactly open season either. I'm not sure what other positive options remain though.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
This is embrassing the more i hear about ban this or censor this i feel by the end of 2012 i will be living in country totally controlled by a fascist nannystate.I always thought that were heading down this road but i thought the government would start fearing the public due to outcries or we would have a decent government with common sence.

But all we do is complain about it for a month then let it slide no wonder our governments never listen to us.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Yep, apparently one person can get something banned here. It actually opens up the doors for trolling pretty damn hard.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
killamanhunter said:
Hey! No Xbox360 fanboyism yet! Let's keep it that way!
And yet, you break this fanboyism silence. Nice job.

Anyway, I can see why it might turn heads. Maybe eight heads, but heads all the same.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
razer17 said:
How on earth is that graphic. Who is complaining? I bet, like usually, it's really old people with nothing better going on.

I mean seriously, it doesn't even show the punch connecting.
I dunno, but I think that its about the face of the player that really makes the image bannable. Its like punching people in the face is the funniest thing to do in the world.
I still think that the reason isnt violence but the way that the subject is treated.