U.K. Group Calls For Female Doctor Who

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
I remember five or ten years ago there was the same kerfuffle about people insisting that there be a black Doctor Who (though they all wanted some terrible yank like Snipes). That, also, has not yet happened (though I reckon Chiwetel Eijofor, the operative in Serenity, would be a good Who).

This will come to as much.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Buh? The thread comes back after 3 months? OK then.
While I already made my thoughts known (NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO) I started thinking of the consequences of casting a female version of Patrick Troughton; i.e. an older female Doctor. Then my head exploded.

That was the second time I died...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'm not much for the show, but as long as they can make it work, then fine. It seems like a Wind Waker deal to me...
Except it may disturb the cannon story...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Erana said:
I'm not much for the show, but as long as they can make it work, then fine. It seems like a Wind Waker deal to me...
Except it may disturb the cannon story...
You would spell it canon in this case. Just a heads up. (b0_0)b

Jan 23, 2009
I think it would be cool for a female Dr. Who. Marth Jones was a Dr. - still the whole blond sidekick (yay female empowerment) was insulting from a gender POV.

However, like Stephen King once wrote "Money Talks, Bullshit walks" - evident in the decision to have a tween Dr. Who

I just wish that wasn't the case.

edit: Timely necro btw.

eleventhdr

Aug 13, 2009
yes yes i have been advocating this for years where have you been i am quite willing to take this on and to use all of the bbc doctors rowan atkinson barbarba benedetti doctors and et all in stories videos comic strips etc i am ready to begin and have been for a long time but need some help in getting it all togehter and off the ground i can write a story line but can not draw please do contact me at [email protected] or [email protected] and just maybe we can begin i am all for a female doctor and alwasy have been i think those who are so very afraid of this are weak or bored or something wrose i think the doctor can be a girl and should be so i am here to let it be known that i ma ready to take it on please come on contact me at last and let us do this a girl doctor i say why the hell not!

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Why don't we make eeeeevery pressure group happy and just make Dr Who a black, disabled, recently immigrated, unemployed, Muslim, woman, who also happens to be a single-parent with learning difficulties?

Surely all these groups have a right to advancement in science?

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Psychochef said:
Oh good sweet Christ! First, you have Tennant resigning his role as The Doctor. A tragedy, because with the possible exception of Tom Baker he is the best Doctor in the series. Then you have this poorly though out gender equality idea as a possible replacement? No. Just no.

I'm all for increasingly strong female roles in any genre. They certainly make things interesting. But you're talking about a decision that alters and potentially cheapens over forty years of sci-fi history. Whatever else that might accomplish, it would almost certainly be the death knell of the Doctor Who series.

Instead of trying to muck about with such a wonderful legacy, why not try to create a new series with such a strong female character? Given the fact that sci-fi series are experiencing quite a bit of popularity these days, a well-written and acted series with a strong female lead would certainly find an audience. I know I'd watch.
But that would require effort.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
The Doctor does have a daughter. He could die and pass on his knowledge and power to her. I think that would the way to go without complicating things needlessly. Wasn't one of his companions a doctor anyway? Mayhaps more female companions that are scientists themselves would be good?