U.S. and U.K. Will Have to Wait for MGS: Peace Walker

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
U.S. and U.K. Will Have to Wait for MGS: Peace Walker

Japanese gamers will be playing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker earlier than other parts of the world, but not by too much.

It was recently revealed that Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker would be released in Japan in March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96460-MGS-Peace-Walker-Infiltrates-Japan-in-March], and Funk was right, I couldn't wait to see if the U.S. release date would also be announced soon. Thankfully, it was.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for the PSP will be released in the U.S. on May 25, 2010, and in the U.K. on May 28. It's being billed as a direct sequel to Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for the PS2, but takes place four years after previous PSP installment Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, which took place six years after MGS 3. Players will once again take on the role of the Snake-ster: Naked Snake/Big Boss iteration. If it meets expectations, Peace Walker could end up being one of the top games in the series.

First of all, the TGS 2009 trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95015-Peace-Walker-Trailer-Reminds-Us-Why-We-Love-Metal-Gear] makes it look absolutely epic. The game is fully penned by Hideo Kojima again — in contrast to Portable Ops which was not — who says: "Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker will answer many of the series' unanswered questions and showcase a different, more collaborative side to tactical espionage." I thought most of my questions were answered by MGS 4, but this is Metal Gear, so maybe I have unanswered questions that I don't even know about.

When Kojima says the game will showcase a more "collaborative side to tactical espionage," he's likely talking about Peace Walker's multiplayer CO-OPS mode, where players will undertake missions while acting as decoys for each other, administering medical help, sharing ammo, or sneaking around while covering each other's blind spots. But perhaps the biggest expectation Peace Walker will have to live up to are in its bosses, arguably the most memorable experiences in the Metal Gear series, which Konami says are the "most incredible end-of-level adversaries the series has ever produced." That's serious talk right there, so we'll have to see about that.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Will Hideo Kojima ever quit hes being saying since mgs 2 that this is the last one. At this point hes just taking the piss. also i'd guess it is released in japan first since the devs are from there and therefore the script is in japanese and needs translating thus a delay happens

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
DAMN YOU JAPAN! You win this round...

OT: I think its because the game was made by japanese developers, therefore it's easier to release in japan because translations are not needed, simples XD

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Furburt said:
Why do the Japanese people get things earlier?

I never understood that, are all Japanese devs insanely patriotic?
Actually, this will be the first MGS game released in Japan first since the first Metal Gear Solid. All the others have come out with a worldwide launch, or were released in the States first.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Acidwell said:
Will Hideo Kojima ever quit hes being saying since mgs 2 that this is the last one. At this point hes just taking the piss. also i'd guess it is released in japan first since the devs are from there and therefore the script is in japanese and needs translating thus a delay happens
Did he say Peace Walker was going to be the last game? Anyways, I actually found his point plausible: Konami won't stop making MGS games, with or without Kojima. So before some dipshit wannabe tries to make another one and fuck his whole vision completely up, he's going to make that ************ himself.
That's his exact wording.

About translations being the reason for late release of the game: Highly unlikely. The story is already written before they even start the concept designs of the game, so there is plenty of time to translate and dub it. Probably has something to do with the publisher, printing the discs, making deals with retailers, shipping the goods to retailers etc.

Also I love the title of these news. U.S. & U.K. is everything there is in this world except Japan.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
W shucks,that means that i have to wait to...Wait a minute.I don´t own a PSPDamn!

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I have the demo on my PSP, and I can safely say that I CANNOT WAIT ANY LATER TO GET THE FULL GAME DAMMIT! Anyone that has a PSP has to get the demo and play it to experiance the awesome gameplay (Although not the story, since it's in Japanese) themselves.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
IdealistCommi said:
My reason to get a PSP. I can not wait
Rent one, one game should not sell a system (no matter what game/system it is) because youll regret it later

Sega CD, that is all

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
JWAN said:
IdealistCommi said:
My reason to get a PSP. I can not wait
Rent one, one game should not sell a system (no matter what game/system it is) because youll regret it later

Sega CD, that is all
I regret nothing! Sega CD rocked, besides what other system started to look like an impenetrable fortress of wires and addon's by the time it was obsoleted? None but the Genesis of course.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
You know, I've never understood the reason for different release dates in different countries. I mean, what's the practical reason for it? How does it profit anyone in any way?

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Furburt said:
Why do the Japanese people get things earlier?

I never understood that, are all Japanese devs insanely patriotic?
Funny, could say the same for U.S devs.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
I thought most of my questions were answered by MGS 4, but this is Metal Gear, so maybe I have unanswered questions that I don't even know about.
You win at making a new joke with regards to MGS.

I was kinda waiting for a "we have to wait before we can watch the cutscenes" MGS joke, its sad when you expect a rubbish joke in the news section just because of one game series.