Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
cuddly_tomato said:
Aramax said:
McClaud said:
Problem with harvesting resources IN SPACE is that we presently can't travel to other planets in our OWN SOLAR SYSTEM in a reasonable amount of time. Right now, we can't leave our solar system and reach another without getting cancer, suffering zero-gravity problems and basically dying of old age.

Some day, sir, it might work. But right now, proooooobably not.
Concidering the fact that we're not in some imminent shortage of ressources I think it's irrelevant to even mention this but just to discredit you I will point out a contradiction in what you just said.

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/home/index.html

We traveled to mars, with the help of a robot. This proves without a doubt that we can reach other planets without any problem and gather any ressources we need at will.

If we can't go to space there will be robots to make those trips back and forth if needed and it wont be a problem. We just dont need it right now because we got so many ressources on the planet.
"At will"?

There is a big difference between sending a Tyco rover to with a kodak glued to the front to Mars and setting up a mining business there.
Not to mention those bloody Martian Rebels. They've been getting bolder in recent months, have you noticed that?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Yawn. Fucking paranoid Americans. See? You guys made weed illegal and you're STILL outta your heads, it's obviously not the weed.

Jarc42

Feb 26, 2009
Aramax said:
The conflict is evident. You dont need know a lot about North Korea to see that they're being forced into isolation from the rest of the world.

America is North Keroa. Now listen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajATPo-HUfY

Yes, this video is nothing but a big fat lie about North Korea and what's happening there.
I agree that the video was a little extreme, but lots of that stuff was true; at least when I went their as part of an education project. They are very... distant from the rest of the world, and they like it that way.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Altorin said:
It's funny, because the Team America portrayal of Kim Jong Il is actually pretty accurate..

he's basically just a big baby control freak
Have you seen the FAQ on his website?

http://www.korea-dpr.com/faq.htm

1. Can I get a signed photograph from Leader Kim Jong IL?

Answer:

The KFA Shop is offering this article. Please visit the following webpage:

http://www.korea-dpr.com/catalog2
And here is that very thing...

http://www.korea-dpr.com/catalog2/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=113

Incommunicado

Jul 13, 2006
I am pretty sure the Chinese would be pretty pissed if NK would try and shoot this thing at anybody. They have other trouble to deal with at the moment and the only reason China helps stabalizing NK is, because they are horribly afraid of the wave of refugees fleeing from a collapsing NK into their territory. Believe me, China is not that much a fan of Kimmy either.

Antidamacus

Feb 18, 2009
Aramax said:
I dont think anyone could even want to get rich in a resource based economy.
And then you would be WRONG.

You should read on the matter and then discuss about it... not the other way around.

http://www.thevenusproject.com/resource_eco.htm
Read it. Read it a long time ago. Still fantasy. Why? It doesn't answer anything.

What if I want 30 cars and a private jet, do I get them?

No lawyers? Are we just shooting people we suspest of crimes now?

Do I have to have a job? What if I'm lazy? Do I get cut off from everything?

And as for running out of resources, resources would need to be scarce for that to ever happen and our universe has lots of resources.
oh yes and our "limitless supply of renewable, non-contaminating energy".

Starting to pick up a few more flaws in the plan. Mostly, we don't have access to any of that.

I could go on and on and on and on.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Well to be honest, if North Korean do spark a war over this, Russia is unlikely to back them (they've publicly requested that N.K abort the launch), and I don't think China would be happy over this either. Basically, IF (big big IF) N.K end up starting another war, they'll be alone without backing from China or the USSR this time (damn you MacArthur)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
cuddly_tomato said:
Altorin said:
It's funny, because the Team America portrayal of Kim Jong Il is actually pretty accurate..

he's basically just a big baby control freak
Have you seen the FAQ on his website?

http://www.korea-dpr.com/faq.htm

1. Can I get a signed photograph from Leader Kim Jong IL?

Answer:

The KFA Shop is offering this article. Please visit the following webpage:

http://www.korea-dpr.com/catalog2
And here is that very thing...

http://www.korea-dpr.com/catalog2/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=113
I find it very bizzaire that North Korea have a website.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Aramax said:
Antidamacus said:
Unless you wanna get rich screwing over the system.

And what happens when we run out of resources?
I dont think anyone could even want to get rich in a resource based economy. You should read on the matter and then discuss about it... not the other way around.

http://www.thevenusproject.com/resource_eco.htm

And as for running out of resources, resources would need to be scarce for that to ever happen and our universe has lots of resources.

I know the picture is small but if you can't see it you just need to google "National geographic universe" and it's the first picture in the list.
Slight flaw in the plan. Resources are out there. We are down here. We haven't even tried to mine for resources on our own moon, let alone one planets in our star system, let alone the rest of the universe/galaxy.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
Jman1236 said:
I'm am offically scared shitless, the pieces are moving into play.
Don't worry about it, USA is never going fight a war with N. Korea. Just ask yourself, what is the Obama administration going to gain from a war in Korea? What is the Worker's Party of Korea going to gain from a nuclear strike against S. Korea or Japan?

SODAssault said:
Pfeh. The only people really being threatened by North Korea are the Japanese, and they've already mobilized submarines and ships with anti-ballistic missle capabilities in case it shows any indication of heading back to earth with a payload.
Even the Japanese are just using N. Korea as an excuse for re-armament. N. Korea has no offensive military capability against anyone in the region. The survival of the N. Korean state is heavily dependent on China, for even basic needs like feeding the population, therefore, it is also politically incapable of launching a Nuclear attack. Also, I would question whether N. Korea has an independent Nuclear deterrent.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I've heard that North Koreas missiles can't even reach the US, lets just hope if they can, they won't use them, because North Korea is a very small country geographicly, wouldn't take more than a few counter Nukes to completely destroy that country.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
Doug said:
N. Korea also has a 3g mobile phone network:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7784211.stm

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
goodman528 said:
N. Korea has no offensive military capability against anyone in the region.
Correction: no sustainable offensive military capability. They have more artillery pieces per capita than, well, anyone, and as such are well set to inflict hurt in the short term. They know they'd lose in any major engagements in the long run so all their actions are along the lines of "I can touch you now" actions. How much you consider these actions as deterrent and how much as a complete paranoid's idea of deterrence might vary. Basically, they're like Switzerland on crack (and a starving cult of personality).

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I bet North Korea has sharks with lasers as eyes. And instead of mouths they have shotguns...and those shotguns shoot bees D:

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
GyroCaptain said:
goodman528 said:
Correction: no sustainable offensive military capability. They have more artillery pieces per capita than, well, anyone, and as such are well set to inflict hurt in the short term. They know they'd lose in any major engagements in the long run so all their actions are along the lines of "I can touch you now" actions. How much you consider these actions as deterrent and how much as a complete paranoid's idea of deterrence might vary. Basically, they're like Switzerland on crack (and a starving cult of personality).
OK, N. Korea could theoretically start an artillery strike on Seoul. But that's not not an offensive. A military offensive is more than just throwing grenades or 155mm shells over a fence. If N. Korea starts a war against S. Korea this is what will happen:

1) As soon as it becomes clear war is inevitable, China will remove N. Korea's nuclear deterrent, to avoid the possibility of WWIII.

2) 3 hours into the war, N. Korean Air Force will be destroyed by the combined forces of S. Korean and US Air Forces.

3) 12 hours into the war, N. Korean Army's mobile units will all be immobilized by ground attacks from S. Korea / USA. Probably before they can breakthrough the DMZ.

This is assuming S. Korea does not launch a pre-emptive strike against N. Korea; and assuming China and Japan both stay out of the war.

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
North Korea has no balls. Nothing is going to happen, its just coo to get people back to the table so they can beg for help without really begging. It just another cold war that Korea is playing ageist the rest of the world.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
goodman528 said:
Doug said:
N. Korea also has a 3g mobile phone network:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7784211.stm
Just...why!?

North Korea is one of the world's most tightly controlled societies and it is still unclear who will be able to use the system.

The country launched a basic network in 2002 but most citizens have since been banned from using mobile phones.
goodman528 said:
GyroCaptain said:
goodman528 said:
OK, N. Korea could theoretically start an artillery strike on Seoul. But that's not not an offensive. A military offensive is more than just throwing grenades or 155mm shells over a fence. If N. Korea starts a war against S. Korea this is what will happen:

1) As soon as it becomes clear war is inevitable, China will remove N. Korea's nuclear deterrent, to avoid the possibility of WWIII.

2) 3 hours into the war, N. Korean Air Force will be destroyed by the combined forces of S. Korean and US Air Forces.

3) 12 hours into the war, N. Korean Army's mobile units will all be immobilized by ground attacks from S. Korea / USA. Probably before they can breakthrough the DMZ.

This is assuming S. Korea does not launch a pre-emptive strike against N. Korea; and assuming China and Japan both stay out of the war.
You forgot about the US air to ground attack abilities. Like the gunships (the helicopters and the AC-130 planes).

Seekster

May 28, 2008
Do you really really think Obama would risk a war on his watch, nah a politician like him needs to get re-elected. Besides North Korea is sort of like Venezuela with Nukes...they just want attention. I say let the Japanese amend their constitution and let them handle it.