U.S. Government Plans to Expand Internet Piracy Crackdown

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
In other news, luxembourg declares war on the sun!
About time, I hate that goddamn sun, especially with all those people using the sun's rays without paying that Spanish woman who owns it, you goddamn pirates.

Wow, good job American government, first the War on Drugs, now the War on Piracy. I expect years of bad policies wasting millions of taxpayer dollars that effectively does nothing but cause more problems. You can't stop the signal.

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
how long till we have a corporation buying congress to take down a site that the corporation doesnt like

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Made my day ^^

Awesome.
You do realise that there's a lot more to this than just piracy, right? If it only was about piracy I'd be cheering along with you, but this sort of law looks out over a whole world of a lot more scary and less good things.
I don't go to sites that have anything to do with piracy.

Not my problem ^^
I wasn't talking about piracy, I'm talking about more global implications these sort of laws have and can have. Internet privacy, security, the influence of corporations in governments, how far a government can go, way bigger fish than just fake Armani purses that are your problem, everyone's problem whether you're a virtual pirate or not.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well this is good news, if that new act does get passed, it'll be a sad day for pirates...

Ooh by the way, just for the lolz

http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I support the people takling internet piracy, but whenever anyone states they're going to "stop" it I just think they're an idiot. You can't "stop" any type of crime; if someone said they were going to stop all murders in America they'd be laughed out of court but somehow this gets to stay in.

America blacklisting any websites though... errrrr not good. Think a person on the street has performed a crime? Take them to court and trial them. Don't make them disapear.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Made my day ^^

Awesome.
You do realise that there's a lot more to this than just piracy, right? If it only was about piracy I'd be cheering along with you, but this sort of law looks out over a whole world of a lot more scary and less good things.

Not my problem ^^
I think he means that there's a chance the government will go ban-happy and extend beyond piracy.

"Oh no, they're talking shit about america! Must be pirates, shut those fuckers down!"

I'm fairly okay with this, as long as there's some kind of committee or jury approving each banning, so that only pirate sites get the hammer. That, or they give them an ultimatum to stop distributing or get banned.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
blakfayt said:
Blind Sight said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
In other news, luxembourg declares war on the sun!
Wow, good job American government, first the War on Drugs, now the War on Piracy. I expect years of bad policies wasting millions of taxpayer dollars that effectively does nothing but cause more problems.
Yep, and if you ask any in house politician (democrats I believe run the show currently) they will tell you both things are going fantastic! as they refuse to tell the truth, which is why they love corporate america, they lie too.
Oh yeah, I mean, there's basically a bloody civil war going on in Mexico right now as a result of U.S. drug policies. The cartels came from villages that used to be fairly peaceful when there was very little drug regulation, they just mostly grew marijuana. Suddenly the laws start popping up, the industry becomes more dangerous, people start arming themselves, the gangs take over the industry, and everything goes to hell. Yes, American government, it's totally drugs that are causing the crime problem, not the policies that alienate individuals who produce them.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Since the last crackdown was SO EFFECTIVE, I'm still waiting for prices to drop. You know, since they're supposedly only as high as they are due to piracy.

---------------------------

Pirate Kitty said:
Cowabungaa said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Made my day ^^

Awesome.

Not my problem ^^
You missed the point. If they can go after sites which *don't even host files*, as has been the case with torrent trackers, what "objectionable content" are they not going to allow you to host next?

The rights holders know where to find these sites, and they know how to submit takedown notices. Most trackers have no problem removing objectionable torrents, but since they *don't make any money* and are simply hosting *user-submitted content*, they can't afford to hire hundreds of people to comb through every torrent and check for objectionable material.

Some trackers aren't even searchable - they simply aggregate. Users have to share the generated .torrent themselves.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Doesn't the Department of Homeland Security have more important things to do then going after pirated music websites. Or is the DHS content with simply unbuttoning there pants, bending over and letting Corporate America make it their prison *****.

Don't get me wrong I know that pirating Music, Movie, Games etc are all wrong actions and are basically the same as stealing. That is why I don't pirate shit anymore (that and the fact that I want to get into the entertainment industry for my career). But I still think that this shit is overkill, wasn't the Department of Homeland Security started to help prevent another attack after 9/11?
I understand the Wikileaks thing, I would even understand if DHS focus its attention on bringing down 4chan with all its criminal activities and that retarded ass Anonymous wanna be cult/ freedom fighter shit. But this I really don't get how this is any of there concern, I mean are terrorist organization somehow profiting from the 14 year old who downloads Avenged Sevenfold latest album without paying?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
So instead of going after pedophiles and other dangeours people...The pirates are the biggest threat because it damages the amount of $$$...

What great fucking idea! Let's spend money on this instead of something else that could have helped people. Like a cure for cancer...

Finnboghi

Oct 23, 2008
The funny thing is, this is all a lie to get people scared and draw them in line; they haven't taken down a single torrent site, only counterfeit sites and WikiLeaks.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Wow one step closer to china,

The free press is already all but dead, and has been replaced with 24 hour punditry.

So easily people forget how the Watergate scandal broke... the internet is the last bastion of free society and granting the government the ability to black list anything is unconstitutional.

Granted the only reason they are going down this road is because the vast majority of the hosts are served from foreign soil and thus beyond the jurisdictional boundaries of my good ol' USofA...

On another note, wikileaks is doing what the "free press" is supposed to do. It doesn't have a partisan agenda, it is simply making available the information that would otherwise be hidden. I agree with most of those who are upset over the release of information that we don't need to know everything but with the failing of the printed word I'd rather everything come to light than nothing but spin and lies.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
I think he means that there's a chance the government will go ban-happy and extend beyond piracy.

"Oh no, they're talking shit about america! Must be pirates, shut those fuckers down!"

I'm fairly okay with this, as long as there's some kind of committee or jury approving each banning, so that only pirate sites get the hammer. That, or they give them an ultimatum to stop distributing or get banned.
But who'll appoint that jury or committee? I'd be okay with that if there would be proper transparency in these procedures. There usually is very little of that in general, it's mainly why I'm so damned happy about Wiki Leaks existing.

People in governments seem to have forgotten that they're public servants, we trust them with funds we give them to spend on things we need and power to make them true but we regular Joes are not given that much insight. I find that being quite a big concern, that lack of transparency.
Finnboghi said:
The funny thing is, this is all a lie to get people scared and draw them in line; they haven't taken down a single torrent site, only counterfeit sites and WikiLeaks.
Waitwhat?! They've taken down WikiLeaks?