U.S. Representative Wants to Treat Exposure to Violent Games

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
U.S. Representative Wants to Treat Exposure to Violent Games

A new bill proposes taxing of violent games, and treatment programs for those who have been "exposed."

A Missouri state representative, proposed a bill [http://www.house.mo.gov/member.aspx?district=155&year=2011] that would do just that, asking gamers to pay a little extra on titles ranging from Teen to Adult Only. Revenue generated from the new tax would go towards mental health treatment programs.

Now, if that information alone is enough to make you scoff, you'll be interested to learn that the health programs the bill proposes are related to the treatment of "mental health conditions associated with exposure to violent video games." Yes, being exposed to violent games is treated as a tangible risk factor under the wording of the proposed bill.

It's worth noting that similar "violent game tax" proposals have popped up before in several other states, none of which have been met with much success. However, the wording of this particular bill is somewhat unique in that it treats the vast majority of videogames (Teen and Mature rated games account for many, many new releases) as a singular risk factor.

Now, don't get me wrong on this; mental health is a topic that needs to be discussed and improved upon, and both sides of the aisle seem to agree that the country as a whole needs to do a better job of detecting those in need of evaluation and treatment. But to act as though booting up a Teen-rated game suddenly makes you a candidate for treatment is a bit extreme.

Via: Slashdot [http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/01/16/0028250/missouri-republican-wants-violent-video-game-tax]

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
If this really passes, It might be possible to do the same for politics. "Exposure to American politics makes you stupider, so if you avoid it, you don't have to pay taxes". Ten Minutes later we can thank God for the bankruptcy of the U.S. government.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I've had it with these dumbasses. From this moment onward, I declare that anybody who says anything like this should no longer be allowed to have an opinion on anything. Ever.

Why? Because fuck these guys, that's why. They haven't shown even a little respect or understanding, I don't see why I should show them any.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
...this is beyond a joke now. Guys, seriously, STOP BLAMING GAMES. We NEED to talk about the ACTUAL causes.

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
Uninformed people are entitled to their uninformed opinions.

Unfortunately, far too many of these uninformed people find that they've stumbled backwards into a position of power, where they are charged with representing their voters. How many of her voters play T and M rated games, I wonder?

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
With something like this, you'd give all the users of the system an excuse to blame and villify games just to get a free handout. This would actually make a rediculous and nigh non-existant problem a 'reality' because of the possiblility of receiving money for your 'affliction'.

I was not aware playing a teen rated game may cause PTSD.

Just.. AHRG!

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
"...is a bit extreme." should be read as should qualify you for mental treatment. *rim shot*

and the worst part is god damn prices would go up, as if they weren't broken already

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Well... I guess that's an entirely new level of stupid reached right there...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Got to love the American mindset, first conjure up a fictional crisis for political gain then quickly find ways to make a profit on it...
It is quite the laugh, also very sad.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
They should be treating exposure to real life violence I think. From everything I've heard and seen in game I've never had any serious violent thoughts about other human beings (unless I have a good reason).

But my cousin (whom I hate very much and have distanced myself from) spends all his time around violent people, drinking spirits and smoking weed (possibly other drugs) and he carries around a knife with him, aggravates my family, he's been to juvenile prison a few times, and is most likely going to end up in a mature prison sometime in the near future.

But go right ahead, games are bad herp durr.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i see. using games as an additional cash grab because many people play them and claiming its used for medical purposes. sure, right.

not for long and australia will follow as well. we already pay enough for games but they will not mind to raise the price even more, claiming for some nonsensical reason.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
...this is beyond a joke now. Guys, seriously, STOP BLAMING GAMES. We NEED to talk about the ACTUAL causes.
The funny thing is, this is the nation that proudly cleared the asylums a couple decades ago. If we had a working mental health system, this sort of thing would be redundant in the first place.

We won't treat people with PTSD from actual wars, but we want to set up a fund for theoretical PTSD from Modern Warfare.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Why would you pay extra for a game, only then to be dragged off to a mental institution for playing it?

Logic is not sound with this plan.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Its also ludicrous on the premise that many Teen and M games are rated that for reasons besides violence. Take a look at most of the JRPGs we see these days. Many, if not all, of them are rated T or M and its not cause of graphic violence, its because of other adult themes.

And, again we must ask, why isn't this also including movies, books, and other articles that depict violence?

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
The funny thing is, this is the nation that proudly cleared the asylums a couple decades ago. If we had a working mental health system, this sort of thing would be redundant in the first place.

We won't treat people with PTSD from actual wars, but we want to set up a fund for theoretical PTSD from Modern Warfare.
Only in America, ladies and gentlemen.

FYI, I am English.

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
Solution: Wait until bill is passed taxing teen and mature games. Change rating system names to something else so technically there are no more teen or mature games. Problem, government?

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
lets be honest this is what happens when people over 40 get elected. There should be an evaluation required to make sure the people in office are able to understand what is happening this week. So many USA lawmakers are 60+ and half senile. They just say random things and vote on things that the people around them are voting on.....

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Just another politician jumping on the hot button topic to get votes. This person is a true piece of shit. Anyone dumb enough to fall for this deserves to be lined up and shot.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Gearhead mk2 said:

Both yourself and person you quoted are looking at this completely wrong. This has nothing to do with video games, violence, or treatment of any kind. It's simply a new tax avenue. The government, all governments, try to find ways to tax it's citizens more and more. When one way gets cut off because people become wise to it, they simply try to find new ways. This being the hot button topic it is, gullible people are more likely to fall into this based on the reasoning:

a.) Too many violent video games may be bad for you (there is a PCC that is pretty low, but a correlation does exist)

b.) The money that is collected from the people will go to treatment
- treatment doesn't exist yet, so... yeah
- people should be familiar with how governments spend money and this will never go to what it's supposed to be intended for.