U.S. Representative Wants to Treat Exposure to Violent Games

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
If this bill passes and I play a violent video game,
Can I refuse to work under the grounds that I have a mental condition that needs treatment?

In seriousness this is just stupid on so many levels, here's an idea how about not letting kids buy 18+ games? If you got kids aged 13-16 playing these violent games that you oh so believe simply MUST be the source of their violent behavior instead of say bad parenting or problems at school, why not just freaking ban them from playing. Oh no but wait that would mean it wouldn't be the retailers or game designer's fault, it would be the parents fault for purchasing and allowing their kids to play and we all know how much they want to dodge responsibility!

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
Matthi205 said:
If this really passes, It might be possible to do the same for politics. "Exposure to American politics makes you stupider, so if you avoid it, you don't have to pay taxes". Ten Minutes later we can thank God for the bankruptcy of the U.S. government.
was thinking the same thing, and i'd count politics as a greater threat to american mental health, being that it makes people say some of the stupidest stuff i have heard ever, and they littleraly do the same thing over and over again expecting different results, that is the definition of CRAZY.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
You hear that rhythmic thumping sound? That's the sound of gamers around the world slamming their heads into their desk repeatedly.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009

Also, to all the people insulting america. Remember, the 50 states are pretty diverse. Yeah most of them have complete idiots in positions of power, but some of them don't. I don't think those some would like to be associated with the rest.

Phaeton99

Jun 24, 2009
Almost makes one nostalgic for when Americans blamed everything on "witches" and the devil....

Seriously, what can one expect from a member of the House of Rabble? It is not like it made up of qualified experts or well-informed citizens or the like (such attributes seems to disqualify candidates on the spot). The reactionary lunatic fringe (wing preferences irrelevant) controls politics, as per usual.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
FYI, I am English.
I am American. I am also sorry. I know a lot of my brethren hate the "lolamerica" attitude out there, but we often do deserve it. If only we'd learn....

There's a reason why places like Texas and Florida tend to have their own tags and categories.

Baresark said:
- people should be familiar with how governments spend money and this will never go to what it's supposed to be intended for.
I prefer Occam's Razor to conspiracy theories, thank you very much.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Wait... so raising taxes on Millionaires is not ok and socialized medicine is not ok...
But raising taxes on gamers is ok and socialized medicine for a condition that doesn't exist is ok.

Republicans... what the fuck?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheSYLOH said:
Wait... so raising taxes on Millionaires is not ok and socialized medicine is not ok...
But raising taxes on gamers is ok and socialized medicine for a condition that doesn't exist is ok.

Republicans... what the fuck?
It's okay because gamers are not job creators.

Or ponies. one of the two reasons.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I sincerely doubt that any of these people actually believe that games cause violence, and I don't think the reason they are suggesting these changes has anything to do with the idea that it will help tackle violence in society.

The reason for why they do it is because it makes them look good. Not to those who actually think for themselves, but those who want reassurance that the people in power are doing something about the problem, that they are listening, and reacting.

The truth is that violence in society is caused by a whole mixture of different things, and it's not something that you can click your fingers and fix. People don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that the people who are supposed to be in power, who are supposed to protect us cannot fix our problems. They want to see them doing something, they want to see that they deserve to be leading us.

So these politicians and people in power have to give these people something that shows that they care, that they want to fix the problem. So they find something simple, point at it and say "that's to blame". Not because they think it is, but because by putting a "name and a face" to the problem, it makes it seem like they are dealing with it, it makes it seem like they are on top of the issue and are there for us.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
FYI, I am English.
I am American. I am also sorry. I know a lot of my brethren hate the "lolamerica" attitude out there, but we often do deserve it. If only we'd learn....

There's a reason why places like Texas and Florida tend to have their own tags and categories.

Baresark said:
- people should be familiar with how governments spend money and this will never go to what it's supposed to be intended for.
I prefer Occam's Razor to conspiracy theories, thank you very much.
Spoken like someone who has never seen the US Government in action. It's a conspiracy theory now, despite there be copious examples in all sectors of government (education, "defense", even the various road departments in individual municipalities). You are assuming I'm assuming, but I am not. Also, you have to look at my point "a" with this statement, as in there is no "treatment" for exposure to violent videogames, so how can the money go to that.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
We went over this in the past - at the Supreme Court, and won the case, right? Shouldn't that decision from the Supreme Court already make this bill null and void?

IF this does just get dragged back to the Supreme Court AGAIN, then it shows how well our government is using our tax money to fix our nation. -_-

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Legion said:
I sincerely doubt that any of these people actually believe that games cause violence, and I don't think the reason they are suggesting these changes has anything to do with the idea that it will help tackle violence in society.

The reason for why they do it is because it makes them look good. Not to those who actually think for themselves, but those who want reassurance that the people in power are doing something about the problem, that they are listening, and reacting.

The truth is that violence in society is caused by a whole mixture of different things, and it's not something that you can click your fingers and fix. People don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that the people who are supposed to be in power, who are supposed to protect us cannot fix our problems. They want to see them doing something, they want to see that they deserve to be leading us.

So these politicians and people in power have to give these people something that shows that they care, that they want to fix the problem. So they find something simple, point at it and say "that's to blame". Not because they think it is, but because by putting a "name and a face" to the problem, it makes it seem like they are dealing with it, it makes it seem like they are on top of the issue and are there for us.
Thank you! Couldn't have said that any better myself.

If you wanna help the mental health programs, great! I've got no problem with that whatsoever, as I believe that addressing mental health is one of the ways we can help lessen the risk of civilian violence. But if you wanna help those programs, help them through other means. Fund them yourselves, or run a series of charity drives. Don't tax games and try to re-word it as a form of charity. It's deceptive, will not do as intended, and ultimately won't help anyone.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
...this is beyond a joke now. Guys, seriously, STOP BLAMING GAMES. We NEED to talk about the ACTUAL causes.
I do believe this is the same argument the NRA is making at the moment

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Here's the thing: if I weren't Canadian, and it went to regular old, help-our-mentally-fragile-and-compromised mental health care, I'd be freaking on board. Pay an extra couple bucks to help out someone who needs it? That'd be great! But it's being treated like a smoking tax... except video games don't give you cancer, last I checked. Just... ugh. Circle jerking morons...

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
kajinking said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
...this is beyond a joke now. Guys, seriously, STOP BLAMING GAMES. We NEED to talk about the ACTUAL causes.
I do believe this is the same argument the NRA is making at the moment
No, their argument is "Can we keep our murder machines and make rallies at places where people have been shot? Pwetty please?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Baresark said:
You are assuming I'm assuming, but I am not.
I'm not assuming anything. Don't got putting words in my mouth even as you accuse me of the same sort of negative action. It's poor form.

You have accused me of ignorance, false assumptions, and given vague examples of numerous instances that supposedly support your claim. That's a conspiracy theory, and one "sheeple" away from the perfect storm.

If you wish me to discuss this further, I would be happy. Just give me something tangible to discuss, rather than vague statements with no actual proof and continuous evasion. Not to mention attempting to finger-point at me instead of those.