U.S. Secret Service Requests Software to "Detect Sarcasm" on Twitter

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2014/06/we-need-a-pony-and-the-moon-on.html

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah ok, good luck with that. And in case your sarcasm detector isn't working, that was sarcasm.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
chadachada123 said:
shadowxvii said:
There is a punctuation mark used for sarcasm, it's called the Irony punctuation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation). Now if people would just use it, that'd be perfect.
But what's preventing someone from using the punctuation itself sarcastically?

It seems like succcchhh a useful symbol.

(Heh)
oh god, now we're getting into dave strider levels of irony, soon we'll be talking about using it ironically, but being totally serious, but what youre actually being iroically serious about is your commitment to ironically using it seriously for the purposes of irony.

the metairony knows no bounds :O

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Well I'd make a sarcastic reply to this... but I'm WAY too much of a trendsetter to do that.

Anyway, what self-respecting terrorist would use Twitter?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Well I'd make a sarcastic reply to this... but I'm WAY too much of a trendsetter to do that.

Considering we've had moronic criminals that have boasted about their crimes on Facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if there are idiot Terrorists that use Twatter.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
good luck with that. Humans seems to be incapable of detecting sarcasm over 90% of the time, and they want software to do that.

shadowxvii said:
There is a punctuation mark used for sarcasm, it's called the Irony punctuation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation). Now if people would just use it, that'd be perfect.
Ironically, my browser fails to load that pinctuation and tells me its unrecognized symbol. so if our browsers cant even see it, let alone type it out, how the hell you expect a random 12 year old posting on twitter app in phone to use it?

Buzz Killington said:
There's a Dutch group [http://repository.ubn.ru.nl//handle/2066/112949] that got a 75% success rate at identifying sarcastic text on Twitter, so there's definitely something to it.
ok so i went in searching for the methodology and read too much. Either way, the methodology is flawed to begin with. since humans are incapable of differentiating sarcasm most of the time, there is no control group to see if results are actually correct. And #sarcasme tag does not work as a control, since people posting this tag may also not differentiate sarcasm. the whole experiment was flawed due to no way of measuring results that would be meaningful.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
You would have to solve the human computer language problem and the common sense problem, to detect sarcasm the program would have to be able to accurately understand the language it is spoken in and that well.... all i can say to that is Good luck, your going to have to create a entire smart ai program to even get close to that no database of sarcastic quotes is going to cut it. Guessing that the person who requested this has no coding experience whatsoever :p.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is an open message to the Secret Service.

Fellas, even if you do that, they'll just go uber-sarcastic to mess with ya. It won't work!

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

Considering we've had moronic criminals that have boasted about their crimes on Facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if there are idiot Terrorists that use Twatter.
That... is actually a very good point.

Nobody has any standards any more, mumpf... :mad:

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Neronium said:
Well unfortunately for the secret service, every time we try to build a sarcasm detector it explodes because of there being too much sarcasm detected.

*sigh*
Remember when the Secret Service tried to be secret about spying on it's citizens. (let's face it, they always have been doing it anyway) :p
I clicked on this topic just to make sure that that Simpsons clip was in the first reply. Thank goodness.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
canadamus_prime said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

That... is actually a very good point.

Nobody has any standards any more, mumpf... :mad:
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.