U.S. Spec Ops Veteran: Modern Warfare 3 Commercial a "New Low"

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Doesn't surprise me. One of those a-hole publisher mobs released a WW2 game on 11th November a couple of years back, which is our day of remembrance for all the ANZACs who died, completely ignoring any and all protests about the appropriateness and lack of sensitivity given to the date.

If they'll release a WW2 game in Australia on such a day, why on earth would anyone expect a bunch of money-grubbing executives to give a shit about the impact their advertising may have, or the inappropriate/crassness of it? There's only 2 things those people care about, and that's the value of their bank accounts and everything that exists in a 1' square of space around their body.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
sheah1 said:
Ahhh you win im bored of arguing about this and ive made the points i wanted to. But ill clarify a few things in this last one.

I was not trying to slander you by quoting that way i didn't want a two mile post. I know and anyone who follows the trail will know that you were not talking about censorship. I was.

I do not think you are a pedo. lol. I was merely poking fun at the direction you took your analogy. We all have those moments where we say things that other people think are pretty out there.

Finally, If your point was that the commercial is stupid you shouldve said that in the first place. I'm not gonna review the posts but im pretty sure you never said that to me. I assumed you were bringing fiction under fire. And if you feel i misquoted you i apologize.

I'm a devils advocate thats why I'm here. Anyway the banter has been fun. later.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
If they wanted to be more accurate in the commercial, they should've had both of the actors hit with sniper bullets to the forehead and pan to a 12 year old boy with a headset and a controller, calling them both slurs that Andrew Dice Clay would find offensive.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I hate Modern Warfare as much as the next guy, but I think that people are seriously overreacting. The ad is extremely clear about what is actually going on, that this is all taking place in some sort of game space. The noob actually is blown up and respawns (which he treats as a mild inconvenience,) they make an in joke about how overpowered knives were in MW2, and the two are acting completely ridiculous the whole time. The creators of the commercial went to great lengths so it would be as obvious as possible that this is not even pretending to be real. Furthermore, It does not depict or trivialize any real world events or individuals. This advertisement is completely removed from the idea of actual war.

The claim that this is offensive because it takes place in real places and is live action has some merit, but only if we are willing to level the same criticism to 80% of all action movies and TV shows made in the last 50 years. For example, The A Team reboot was live action, took place in real places, and depicted people having fun making war and killing people. The exact same reasons this advertisement is being condemned.

A little tasteless? Maybe. A new low? Hardly.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
So i guess this guy is gonna ***** about Six Days in Fallujah too isnt it?? even its was supposed to evoke the same felling that the soldiers, who inspired the game, felt during that place and realize that they no longer believe the cause that brought them there.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
Context is important, but people don't really care about such "trivialities" when they see something they want to be offended by.
This is about a game, and it's meant to represent what happens in said game. It's not referring to real life war.

People are so touchy nowadays.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
Wait, what? Americans REVEL in war. They glorify it to an absurd extreme, and even their armed forces' advertisements all make it out to be some grand career-making adventure to join the military.

And this commercial is a problem?

Puuuuhlease.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Might be a bit of a despicable point to bright up, but two generations ago, the mantra 'There's a Soldier in all of us' was the truth.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I rewatched the advert and just tried to find some reason why a real soldier might find it upsetting.
So far I found nothing. He dodged a missile and then deployed a SAM turret that instantly shot down the helicopter. That scene ALONE should blow any 'realism' arguments out of the water. The mentality of the advert was not 'war is fun', it was 'CoD is fun'. The actors demonstrated through facial expressions that they were not representing actual soldiers. Jonah Hill's expressions of both despair and wonderment whenever something happened? Yeah, I'm sure most of the men in Afghanistan wear that expression all the freakin' time.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
I was with him up until that "post-9/11 world" bit. I really hate it when people act as if a new war beginning completely changes what is and is not acceptable. War has always been terrible, and it's been FAR worse than this.

Overall, though, yeah, it gets pretty bad when you try to portray war as being a violent bad ass with no consequences. It's offensive to him as a soldier, and it's offensive to me as someone interested in story telling.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I respectfully disagree with our serviceman, though I understand why he believes the way he does.

Certainly things EA have done marketing wise were in terribly poor taste. This however wasn't put there to trivialize war. This seems to be a parody or at least a translation of how online modes usually work out. It's more about that then about how actual war is. The fact that the noob dies repeatedly and comes back seems to show that it is more about that than about reality in any way. It certainly doesn't trivialize it than your average 80's action movie.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
FFHAuthor said:
Might be a bit of a despicable point to bright up, but two generations ago, the mantra 'There's a Soldier in all of us' was the truth.
I'm quite sure you could find an Army advertisement from WW2 that used the same tactic.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
MW3 is as close to real war as laser tag. Real soldiers on deployment play this game because of how not realistic the game is.

Personally the ad shows how any idiot can learn to be "good" at this game in just a few hours. Just seems like the people in the article are trying to pick at something pointless when they miss the fact that US military recruitment is often times blatantly aimed at young adults or even teens to glamorize the benefit that joining the military will have on your life and career. The MW3 ad is trying to get people to play there stupid game not actually encourage people to go off to fight in real wars.

Toy Master Typhus

Oct 20, 2011
I don't think this was aimed at the game as much as the people who play it. I mean yes we could argue that the fact that it is extremely fictitious and how people with half a brain know that it isn't what actual combat is like however, we as a community must accept that there are quite a few of us that have lost perception of reality (Primarily the small children who have parents that let games do the parenting for them). I remember hearing in high school people go on about how they could do the stuff in Cod games and how they went to the shooting range and dual-wielded shotguns and how they have amazing aim and other obvious bullshit in serious tone.

I think until we deal with people like this we will forever be judged on the worst people amongst us.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Ah, Heather, it is VERY easy to disagree with him. This is not a commercial about war, it is a commercial about a videogame.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
He has a very understandable view, and he acknowledges that others don't share that view, including other Servicemen and Women. At least someone is truly mature about it.
It really is "food for thought".
and yes, war sucks balls. CoD is friggin good at killing very likeable characters, which is one big part of war as a whole, but it is a game commercial as well. but if anyone thinks real war would be fun in any way, they're beyond stupid.