Ubisoft Announces Hasbro Game Channel

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Ubisoft Announces Hasbro Game Channel

Monopoly, Risk, and Trivial Pursuit will be available this fall through the new channel on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Ubisoft announced a new channel for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, coming this fall. A collaboration with Hasbro [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126667-Ubisoft-To-Make-Monopoly-For-Hasbro], the Hasbro Game Channel will make Monopoly, Risk, and Trivial Pursuit available for download and provide new gameplay modes, achievements, rewards, and missions for players. Chris Early, vice president of digital publishing at Ubisfot, says, "We're bringing Hasbro's classic games to the digital age, capturing all the excitement and fun of these timeless games and building new ways to play them with the Hasbro Game Channel." The channel will include messaging and game discovery options designed to facilitate digital family game nights.

Mark Blecher, senior vice president of digital gaming and corporate development for Hasbro, says, "We have worked closely with Ubisoft on the development of the Hasbro Game Channel, which will bring family and friends together for a fun and social gaming experience with their favorite brands. The new console games will allow players to connect and play with others, not just in their living rooms, but around the world." Monopoly supports six local players, using controllers, tablets, or mobile phones to enter commands. You can also adapt the Monopoly rules to use your own house rules [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133272-Hasbro-is-Crowdsourcing-Official-Monopoly-House-Rules-on-Facebook]. Risk supports four players, local or online, and online leagues will rank players. Trivial Pursuit appears to support four local players, and includes customizable rules like letting the lowest-scoring player choose the final question category in a round, and options for changing the overall game length.

[gallery=2975]

Ubisoft and Hasbro haven't revealed any pricing details yet for the channel. In addition to Monopoly, Risk, and Trivial Pursuit, new games are planned for the channel in 2015. Variations on Monopoly and Risk are also planned, though there's no word on whether Risk Legacy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112543-Risk-Legacy-Makes-Your-Board-Game-Decisions-Matter] might get a digital adaptation (something that might help nervous tabletop gamers with its card-shredding mechanics). Which Hasbro game would you like to see in the new Hasbro Game Channel?

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/hasbro-game-channel-monopoly-risk-trivial-pursuit/]

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Gods, I can barely stand to play these games with my family and friends. Why the hell would I want to pay what will more and likely be a monthly fee for the privilege of playing them with completely random jackasses?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Bleah, I'm not really a fan of game shows. But if it means moving them from the main channel and putting on here, then I don't mind. Means more room for other shows, right?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, I kind of suprise they haven't added Battleship into the game channel.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If a family game night requires a console, then it should consist of dad running with the flag, mom has the atv to pick up little Timmy, who just got some heavy weapons to take out the flag bearer before he makes it back to the red team's base, and little Susie is providing dad cover with her high caliber sniper rifle. Otherwise, real board games are better when the players are under the same roof.

I gotta admit, though, playing Risk with real friends when you don't have the time to come over(or the money to cross the vast distances in some cases) sounds like a good idea. Now where's the PC version. I wanna get my Stea... *reads Ubisoft* well... call me when the PS4 is $250.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I never understood the hate for monopoly and why people act like its such a big deal.

The game has a formula to it that if you follow will ensure victory no matter what.

I managed to beat all my friends I was having a game night with.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
*sets up a folding chair and sits down* Don't mind me. I'm just waiting for the inevitable gabillion requests for a MLP game to appear.

I like the fact that house rules for Monopoly can be used. It reinforces the idea of "this is a game, lets have some fun with it" which is one of the main reasons I've seen some people like to play board games.

CAPTCHA: moot point

It is NOT, Captcha!

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Veldie said:
I never understood the hate for monopoly and why people act like its such a big deal.

The game has a formula to it that if you follow will ensure victory no matter what.

I managed to beat all my friends I was having a game night with.
The main issue most people have with Monopoly is how ludicrously long games of it often take, which ironically is largely due to many of the house rules most people play by slowing the game down far more than they realize. Monopoly can already take upwards of several hours to beat without house rules, so adding in rules that pad the game out and keep losing players in the game is just asking for trouble.