Ubisoft Bringing Tetris to PS4 and Xbox One

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ubisoft Bringing Tetris to PS4 and Xbox One

Everyone's favorite game of descending blocks will be receiving new Xbox One and PS4 versions courtesy of Assassin's Creed publisher Ubisoft.

If there is a game out quite as addictive as Tetris, we haven't found it. Forget open world titles and their promises of endless content, all you need to glue us to our televisions is an NES copy of the world's favorite classic puzzle title. Of course, we wouldn't need to go the old school route if we didn't want to. Tetris as a property has been so consistently popular over the years that finding and playing a working version can literally be done on your phone.

That said, if you're itching for a fancy big console edition you're in luck. Ubisoft has announced today that it partnering up with The Tetris Company to create and publish digital versions of the descending puzzler on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. "We welcome Ubisoft to the Tetris family," said Henk Rogers, managing director of The Tetris Company. "I am 100 percent sure they will develop one of the best versions of the Tetris game ever."

Ubisoft will be taking over console publishing duties from Electronic Arts which held the console rights from 2007 to 2011. The questions now, of course, are when gamers can expect the PS4 and Xbox One editions to be released and how much Ubisoft intends to sell them for. We have reached out to the company for additional comments and will let you know if there any updates.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-16-ubisoft-grabs-tetris-license>GamesIndustry International

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'm glad EA don't have the Tetris right any more, unfortunately I'm not sure how Ubisoft are going to treat the game. DRM up the arse and the L blocks (the BEST blocks) available as DLC? I'd ask for a PC Tetris game but there are already plenty of decent cheapo knock-offs for free that do a good enough job emulating the original (in a not-pirate way).

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ubisoft's making it, eh?

"Coming soon! Get the 'Long Block' DLC! Only $29.99!"

(EDIT: Ninja'd on the joke. Guess great minds think alike.)

Best version of Tetris? Not likely. The best version has already been released, and it isn't even a game:

On a related note, there's a business called the Tetris Company that presumably does nothing but port Tetris to every electronic device known to man? You learn something new every day.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Know what would be completely awesome on new console technology(or PC even)? A new Tetrisphere game... sadly that will probably never happen.

That was one of my favorite N64 games, I've been wanting to see a new one for years. It was such a fun take on Tetris, and had one of the best soundtracks on the N64.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
man it's been years since I last played tetris and having a new form of tetris for today would appeal to my brain right about now.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Okay, Ubisoft. You only have to do one thing to make me happy. Give us a Tetris: The Grand Master clone. Anything slower is simply not as fun.

P.S. Thanks

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
The original gameboy version of the game is still the best. Best Christmas ever back when I was 7 and I got a gameboy with Zelda: Link's Awakening and Tetris.