Ubisoft Closes Casablanca Studio

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ubisoft Closes Casablanca Studio

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/116/116253.png
Ubisoft Casablanca, who worked on handheld ports of Ubisoft titles, has been shut down.

It's certainly never good to hear about video game studios being closed, although it seems to be lately [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167300-Lionhead-Studios-Closure-Confirmed-by-Microsoft]. The latest such studio on the chopping block is Ubisoft Casablanca, the Morocco-based studio that was responsible for various handheld and mobile ports of Ubisoft properties.

"Ubisoft Casablanca has been part of Ubisoft for 18 years, and contributed to a lot of memorable games over the years, especially on portable consoles," said Ubisoft Mobile executive director Jean-Michel Detoc. "Unfortunately, as the video game market evolved in the past few years, we didn't find a sustainable formula for the studio within our broader network. We thank the Casablanca team for their hard work throughout the years."

48 employees are to be transferred or cut from the studio. Ubisoft Casablanca contributed to last year's mobile game Rayman Adventures, and had previously worked on Rayman 3D, Rayman Origins, and Rayman Legends.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-09-ubisoft-shutters-casablanca-studio]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"But we'll always have Paris," amirite?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Hawki said:
The problems of 48 people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
09philj said:
Hawki said:
The problems of 48 people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.
You responded!

Y'know, I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Hawki said:
Every single person coming to this thread is either here to post this or "wait, they had a Casablanca studio"?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Hawki said:
Every single person coming to this thread is either here to post this or "wait, they had a Casablanca studio"?
Wait, they had a Casablanca studio?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
"Say, who's got trouble?"
"We got trouble!"
"How much trouble?"
"Too much trouble!"
"Who's unhappy?"
"We're unhappy!"
"How unhappy?"
"Too unhappy!"
"Who's unlucky?"
"We're unlucky!"
"How unlucky?"
"Too unlucky!"
"Who's got nothin'?"
"We got nothin'!"
"How much nothin'?"
"Too much nothin'!"

And this is the worst thing I've ever done on a forum. Poor bastards.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I came to say that, frankly, I don't give a damn...

But then I saw that they worked in the new Rayman games, the best think that came out of Ubisoft in the last years...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
They did it so they would have more money for The Watch Dog 2: Doge Edition. I mean, how can you make a sequel to a great game when you have a bunch of studios sucking your budget dry? Do you know polygons cost three cents per pair of five? I'm surprised this is the only studio that got axed. The Watch Dog 2 probably won't be very good if this is the only thing they're doing.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
hermes said:
I came to say that, frankly, I don't give a damn...

But then I saw that they worked in the new Rayman games, the best think that came out of Ubisoft in the last years...
Silly, that's Gone with the Wind not Casablanca.

Butt cereal, Rayman Origins/Legends were my fave games in the last decade, this sucks.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Deathfish15 said:
I'm shocked....shocked to find game making going on in there.
"Here's your winnings, sir."

OT: So, given all the obvious jokes being made here, NEED I SAY WHAT THIS MAKES UBISOFT IN THIS VENUE?

Too late. I went there.