Ubisoft Confirms it Will Show Watch Dogs 2 at E3

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ubisoft Confirms it Will Show Watch Dogs 2 at E3

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1326/1326247.jpgUbisoft has officially confirmed that Watch Dogs 2 will be shown off at E3 this year.

While there have been rumors and information about Watch Dogs 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167040-Watch-Dogs-2-Supports-DirectX12-Optimized-for-AMD-Cards] swirling for a while now, we haven't heard anything official until today. Ubisoft has finally officially confirmed that the game will appear at E3 in a little less than two week's time.

The announcement came in an email laying out the company's plans for E3, and said that Watch Dogs 2 will appear alongside For Honor and YouTuber tweeted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167549-New-Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Wildlands-Trailer-Pre-Order-Details] about receiving a Watch Dogs 2-themed gift from Ubi.

The original Watch Dogs sold four million copies its first week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135023-], and nine million overall. It's a safe bet that Ubi is hoping for similar success from the sequel.

Ubisoft's E3 press conference is scheduled for Monday, June 13 at 4 PM ET.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) they decide to change given how "Watch_Dogs" is better known for its controversies than for its actual content. I avoided the original because it seemed to be Ubisoft Game: The Game but with a cool looking hacking thing.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Will there be a female protagonist? Goddamn it Ubi...it isn't that difficult. I like your games, but your characters for the most part are sooo boring. Far Cry probably had the best collection of personalities. However, colour me intrigued. Colour me all outside the lines intrigued.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
The first looked so good and had so much promise. Then what always happened with Ubisoft games happened. I really wanted to get it too but given all that happened I passed. I can't really say I'm excited for the sequel "Watchdogs 2: Now hack more things".

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Neat, I'm into it.

All they need to do is learn from last time (a coin toss with Ubi, I know) but I liked Watch Dogs for what it was worth, avoid the pitfalls this time and I'm on board.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
circularlogic88 said:
I'll be interested to see what the new white brown haired protagonist's revenge plot will be.
Don't forget the iconic hat.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The first game sold well on preorders before it came out that it wasn't especially good. Boring protagonist, stupid story, awful physics, lame hacking minigames, inexplicable level design... it was at best a meh. A sequel won't have the same advance good will for it, and will have to actually be good to sell well.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Actually they can probably just throw a lot of marketing dollars at it and succeed regardless. That's how AAA gaming works.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Doubt the 2nd one will sell as well after everyone found out the first one was average as fuck. Also why are they telling us this now? E3 is in a little over a week, why not just wait? Why the fuck do they need an announcement for their announcement?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... Huzzah?
The first game, while conceptionally ambitious, turned out so damn drab and dreary it couldn't hold my interest even until the middle of the plot. This franchise is already filed in my mental junk drawer, along with MOBAs and Spunkgargleweewee.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Doubt the 2nd one will sell as well after everyone found out the first one was average as fuck. Also why are they telling us this now? E3 is in a little over a week, why not just wait? Why the fuck do they need an announcement for their announcement?
I think you are very kind to call it average. Personally i would have gone with "Generic and boring as fuck"

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
RaikuFA said:
circularlogic88 said:
I'll be interested to see what the new white brown haired protagonist's revenge plot will be.
I thought that was implied.

In all seriousness. I have no interest in this 2nd outing if Ubisoft is going to stick with its open world game formula.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
RaikuFA said:
circularlogic88 said:
Perhaps they'll do the really ballsy thing and give whatshisname a different cap. One that's even more iconic! And brown!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sorry, just checked with the warehouse and they've confirmed that I'm all out of fucks to give. Try back next year, Ubi.

Edit: seeing others talk about it, anyone catch the Jimquisition where he rips apart Ubisoft's use of that word? I knew they tried to call Generic Baseball Hat #8576 "iconic" and I knew they tried to call Generic Overcoat #7622 "iconic"...but I had no idea it was really as bad as it is. Seriously, I think the guys at Ubi's marketing department have collars around their necks set to detonate unless they stuff that word into every 3rd sentence. o.o

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Ever been to a news website during E3, then came back 2 hours later and saw that all the headlines had changed? There is a lot of information for news outlets to digest during E3 and it is very hard to stand out during that torrent of news updates. Some companies decide to release their information early as to be sure to get enough exposure in news outlets before the shit storm starts.
Especially when it's a sequel to a game that wasn't that well received by players, chances are people would ignore headlines reading "Watch_Dogs 2 Announced!", because of their bad experience with the previous game, in favor for "New Shiny Game!" headlines during E3.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
i wonder how many of the 9 million are from GPU sales

because mine came with watchdogs

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
An answer to a question nobody asked.

I actually bought the game at its full price and I feel dumb for it. I'm a fan of most Ubisoft games, generally. I got 22ish hours out of Watch Dogs but never got around to beating it. I was ultimately... bored.