Ubisoft Delays Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Delays Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

PC gamers are going to have to wait a little while longer to get their hands on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

For some reason, this strikes me as perfectly appropriate and oddly uplifting. After a wild ride that saw it canceled completely, replaced with a free-to-play online game and then revived, albeit without a release date until just a couple of months ago, the launch of the PC version of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier [http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-Ghost-Recon-Soldier-Pc/dp/B0037M07UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339719636&sr=8-1&keywords=ghost+recon+future+soldier+pc] was just a couple of days away. And now, with an almost giddy inevitability, it's been delayed.

The good news for Ghost Recon fans is that the delay is a relatively short one: just a couple of weeks, in fact. "The US launch date is scheduled for June 26th in North America and the 28th in Europe," a Ubisoft rep confirmed.

As for why it's delayed, nobody knows - or at least, nobody who does know is willing to say. It's a bit late in the process to be worrying about problems in development, although a couple of weeks might be adequate if it just needs a little more polish, but I think the smart money is on piracy, specifically with regard to Ubisoft's occasionally heavy-handed approach to fighting it. Since the PC is seen as the platform most vulnerable to piracy, PC editions are sometimes held back a few weeks to help ensure that the more lucrative console versions aren't cut off at the knees. I don't know if it's a particularly effective strategy, but I suspect that doesn't necessarily matter, either.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Ubisoft probably really wanted ham-fisted DRM for the PC, but the budget went over to hiring Ice-T's wife for shameless ads instead.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
They figured there wasn't enough DRM so they needed to delay it for a while to make sure your experience is as shit as possible while useing the PC.

glenbruton

Mar 5, 2010
Oh no! I have to wait for the disappointment of seeing the great Ghost Recon turned into another bombastic COD clone .

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
"The good news for Ghost Recon fans:" is that this isn't a very good Ghost Recon game.

Though Splinter Cell: Conviction fans will be very sad.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
They are busy developing a wristband that continously takes a sample of your DNA to check that it's actually you still playing the game.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I would get a refund for this if there was something else coming out soon but there isn't so i guess i will just have to wait like im waiting for the walking dead ep 2.