Ubisoft Denies Launch Day Crack for Silent Hunter 5 DRM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Denies Launch Day Crack for Silent Hunter 5 DRM

Ubisoft has denied that its vaunted new online DRM scheme was cracked on the launch day of Silent Hunter 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-Battle-Atlantic-Download-Pc/dp/B003BVIXWW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279052560&sr=1-2], saying that the pirated version of the game floating around online is "not complete."

always online [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/new-ubisoft-drm-cracked-on-day-one]" DRM scheme planned for all future Ubi releases on PC that requires users to be constantly connected to the internet in order to play their games and immediately kicks them out if they're not.

Ubisoft has denied the claim, however, saying that the cracked release is incomplete, although it did not specify in what way. "You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassin's Creed II [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-II-Playstation-3/dp/B00269DX5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279052535&sr=1-1] and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked," the company said in a statement. "Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete."

But users who have downloaded the pirated version of the game are disputing that response, according to GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ubisoft-denies-silent-hunter-5-drm-cracked-on-first-day], and maintain that they can play the game without being online. This is obviously something we can't confirm, but whatever the case, it's clear that the fight between Ubisoft and the pirate community is now in full swing

Feb 13, 2008
Which makes perfect sense until the pirated version is complete, which should take about the same time.

Seriously, if you can build something, people can duplicate it. That's an elementary law of physics. What you need to do is make the legal copy easier to use than the pirated copy, THEN you'll have a better chance of fighting piracy.

I'd have thought something as simple as a hash key authenticated server would be simple enough to sort out, and that won't penalise a legitimate user.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Heh, don't they realise that without making you go to Ubi headquarters or playing directly from their servers it's impossible to make something pirate proof, if you have the vital game files in your possession then you can crack it. This new DRM is ridiculous and is harming gamers more than it is helping them which further fuels the pirate community.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
WAAA-HAHAHAHAHA!

Such delicious irony. Ubisoft takes such drastic steps to keep stuff safe from pirates, and the pirates crack it on launch day.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, it's only natural they'd say that. It's damage control, meant to discourage people from using the pirated version in fear that it might not be "complete".

In mildly related news, I took a quick gander at a torrent site or two. The fascinating thing is that while I can find the crack for Assassin's Creed 2, I can't find the actual game. Granted, the crack is all I need to get rid of the damn DRM once the game comes out. Seems AC2 has moved to "Rental" category in my brain now...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Actually, I don't think Ubisoft is lying - the pirated games are incomplete: They are missing the DRM. Ha ha! But seriously, that might really be what they mean when they say they are incomplete.

Edit: Blast it all, ninjaed! Oh well, at least I had thought of my joke before somebody else actually posted it, I just type too slowly apparently.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
I just hope Ubisoft will stop releasing games for the PC. It's painful enough as it is, and I'm not talking about the DRM and piracy. It's just a major pain in the ass to have the developers wrap up the damn PC version after the console versions have been released and the production team reduced because of vacation leaves.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Publishers: nil Pirates: 57,000

Of course Ubisoft would claim the pirated version is incomplete, they are trying to save face. How the hell would they know anyway? Did they download it (gasp, breaking the law!) and play it through? I doubt it. I'm more inclined to believe the multiple users rather than Ubisoft in this one.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Yes, and Spore pirated version was a playable demo...

Riiiight. An incomplete game that had DRM. And it was cracked.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I have to say I saw this coming, surely by putting in such an obtuse DRM was merely giving pirates more incentive to crack it quickly...pirates, like all good hackers, love a challenge...I mean we're talking about the kinda people who crack databases and encryption for the fun of it...there's no cash involved for internet pirates, so they do they it either A) because they love it or B) for the prestige...do UBI-hacks (in the bad, journalistic hack meaning of the word) really believe you can beat that?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Hurr hurr hurr. There's no such thing as "uncrackable data protection". Any IT student can tell you that. As long as users are given the data, there's no way to protect it from intrusions. It's literally like trying to eat your cake whilst keeping it uneaten.

Just what did they hope to achieve with that DRM scheme? Are they really that stupid, or simply real-life trolls?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Moo hoo ha ha. Give it up, Ubisoft, you lose this one. I'm usually in favor of actually buying games, but your new DRM is the kind of dickishness that deserves and requires swift punishment - and what better way to serve it than a steaming hot bowl of humiliation? ^^

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
vivaldiscool said:
yeah, Assassin's creed was actually cracked before[i/] the street date.

Yep, but the idiot who cracked it forgot about the watermark and was traced back. Lots of money was involved, but I digress.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well of course it's not complete, it's got a bloody great chunk of DRM missing from it!

Somewhere, someone is getting very, very rich off all this continued DRM stupidity. But it's not the publishers and it certainly isn't us. Although by now you'd think the massive money sink and total failure would have discredited them...

DRM money would be better spent on advertising, at least then it would generate some effing sales.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I'm inclined to side with pirates on this one. Really, they're not going to suffer, normal customers are, so I say let Ubisoft suffer for this idea.
And Ubisoft, it's ok to admit defeat. Just because you were defeated before you had a chance to sell the game doesn't mean it doesn't count.