Ubisoft Encouraging More Unique Games like Child of Light

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Ubisoft Encouraging More Unique Games like Child of Light

Developers of RPG Child of Light are now a core team at Ubisoft Montreal, and the company is open to creating more games like these.

Far Cry [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11364-Child-of-Light-Review-Light-Entertainment] but wanted to try something new. Ubisoft loved the end results of this project, and is now open to more games like Child of Light.

Ubisoft Montreal's VP of Creative Lionel Raynaud expressed the company's satisfaction with Child of Light, "The team did a good job and the game had a great reception. We were proud to deliver something new and unique--a lot of people were surprised that Montreal was delivering this kind of game." Raynaud further explains that thanks to the reception of the game and how well the developers worked together "the people who made this game now want to work together again, whether it's on a small game or not."

Ubisoft's internal entrepreneurial initiative program is an avenue for employees to bring their ideas to the table and pitch it to Raynaud, which he's very excited about continuing. "We will encourage other initiatives like Child of Light and there's a chance that we will have many more games like that in the future. I already have many different projects that are in the pitch stage--I even had one in my office this morning, which was super exciting." The initial idea behind the entrepreneurial initiative is how Ubisoft was pitched Valiant Hearts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10317-Far-Cry-3-Blood-Dragon-Review-Unapologetically-80s].

For Raynaud, this type of open space to express your creativity is important, "This dynamic has incredible value in the industry and it's what we want to do: we want to create core teams that want to make great games." Yannis Mallat, CEO of Ubisoft Montreal, feels the same way. "For me it's important for projects like Child of Light and Far Cry: Blood Dragon to exist and to know that there is a place for them here."

Furthermore, "It's also important for those projects not to be suffocated at the beginning with high-level objectives. It's a question of growing talent inside the company and giving them a chance. It allows us to try new things without breaking the balance financially."

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/477483/child-of-light-creators-become-core-team-at-ubisoft-montreal/]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
but no full AAA releases....because hey lets not get too ahead of ourselves [sub/]ok maybe that criticism is directed at the wrong target here[/sub]

I appreciate the sentiment though

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Yes, but will they be good?

I'm sorry, the opportunity was too good to pass up >.>

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
So long as they can make lots of SEQUELS! Just imagine; Teen of Light, Adult of Light, or go the opposite direction, Child of Darkness! So many wonderful possibilities.

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
Child of Light really wasn't unique.

It was an average platforming game with an annoying "this game is so artsy" theme and an annoying rhyme thing going on.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This feels like they wrote the press release back when Child of Light was greenlit. Still I'm not going to knock a publisher for trying something different. It's great to see them experimenting and this can only result in some awesome games down the line

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Yes please. I would love more games like Child of Light. I love the Ubiarts division of Ubisoft. They give me good Rayman games and fun colorful RPGs.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
child of light is so far my game of the year. its beautiful looking (just love the art design), a very beautiful soundtrack, really good to play, decent story, interesting characters and each of them have their own abilities.
making more of them is all fine but should not over do it. thats what im afraid of when ubi is saying this. they have to be creative.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Vault101 said:
but no full AAA releases....because hey lets not get too ahead of ourselves [sub/]ok maybe that criticism is directed at the wrong target here[/sub]

I appreciate the sentiment though
I haven't played Child of Light specifically, but I don't see a reason to pour the ludicrous amount of resources associated with AAA development into every title. If anything, not building these new games into AAA games is a good sign - It's far better to see a lot of smaller projects designed to be completed with a relatively small team and budget in a reasonable length of time than a single project so big that the Execs feel they have to step in and ensure no risks are taken that might lead to smaller returns.

If they actually do follow up on this, it bodes well for future games, especially if they're willing to put some of their veterans into positions to help - As a would-be game designer myself I'd love to be able to always have access to experienced designers to ask for advice.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Falterfire said:
I haven't played Child of Light specifically, but I don't see a reason to pour the ludicrous amount of resources associated with AAA development into every title. If anything, not building these new games into AAA games is a good sign - It's far better to see a lot of smaller projects designed to be completed with a relatively small team and budget in a reasonable length of time than a single project so big that the Execs feel they have to step in and ensure no risks are taken that might lead to smaller returns.
actually yeah...there might be something to be said for not following the AAA way of things

I think its a criticism best suited to Assasins Creed

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The good intentions sound nice, but any intentions are just words and words are wind.
I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, Ubisoft will continue to see zero dollars from me annually.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
I was under the impression Child of Light is only as unique as it is in its attempts at whimsy

Cory and Grey wouldn't steer me wrong, would they? Would they? WOULD THEY? Has this crazy ride together all been encouraged on the basis of lies?!?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
If that means less Assassins Cry 5: Aiden Pearce Shooting More Dudes then I'm pretty good with it. I'd love more creative titles like Blood Dragon and Valiant Hearts.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
Well, I don't think Child of Light was a very good game, but I think it was a step in the right direction. They are at least trying to make something interesting and different. Even if it fails, they will get there eventually.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm in favour of this news, I loved Child of Light that is as long the game is not good just from being pretty looking alone.