Ubisoft is working on at least 2 games with female playable leads. Not BG&E2, though. :(

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
<youtube=EZs3bD_m4uw>
And
<youtube=8ceW8gThzR8>

I realize Liberation is just a remake, but I've long wanted the game to come to console, and it's coming with extra stuff! Huzzah!

Child of Light seems like it's going to have an interesting story. 'd swear the guy talking about the game was getting choked up. o.o

Both games look fun, and I look forward to their release.

But I can hear it now. Why did I make a topic for this? To offer some praise for a company willing to do this. We can't just condemn the industry, as people have said before we should praise companies tht do offer female protagonists when we do.

I hope this comes as good news in general to the gaming community.

Edit:
Sorry for getting people's hopes up on BG&E2. Changed title appropriately.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Child of Light seems like something I'd really like. The art direction, the story, the turn-based combat...it might do what Ni no Kuni didn't for me. I think this just might be my first Ubisoft title. Now, if only I knew for sure that the co-op thing is entirely optional without giving me a gimped AI companion because I don't care for 2(or more)-player.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
First yay for someone giving support. I see too many people complaining about sexism rather than celebrating progression.

Though as someone who doesn't care about the gender of the protags, I'm going to see if the games are good before I celebrate. I've already been keeping a watch out for new about Child of Light since that looks interesting.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
To be honest, i will only celebrate this after seeing if the games are actually good and there is meaning to the lead being female. May sound mean, but i know a whole lot of Stories where the Main-Character could've been a talking squirrel and it wouldnt have changed a damn thing. It would be nice if they actually tried to showcase the possiblities a female lead offers.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Child of Light reminds me of Lost Winds. Young protagonist helped by a small spirit, she seems to have the ability to float, and the setting has a similar aesthetic. I'll certainly be looking forward to Child of Light.

Hhm... Although... this makes me think of another topic that could be made.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm still waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2 Ubisoft, please don't leave it in development hell.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Child of Light looks cool, but I've never been into Assassin's Creed. If it gets a physical release and it's good, I'll check it out. If it's digital only...well, too bad for me then.

Also, good on you for making this thread. While I may not always agree on what other people think is sexism or not, it's cool to see someone praising the companies for actually putting a little more effort into their female characters.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
Yay...?

There have been plenty of games with Female leads in the past. Why must this be something of a shock to people now? Why is it apparently so noteworthy it warrants a thread?
This site generally tends to freak out over everything anyone perceives as sexist. While I sometimes disagree on that view of things, it won't hurt to praise someone for actually putting forth a little positivity toward the subject as opposed to constantly harping over someone's side-boob showing. I get the feeling that's what this thread is trying to accomplish as opposed to pointing out what they perceive to be an anomaly.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
Yay...?

There have been plenty of games with Female leads in the past. Why must this be something of a shock to people now? Why is it apparently so noteworthy it warrants a thread?
Do we have to have this discussion again?

Really?

OT:
I'm interested in Liberation. Was from the start, just didn't have any way of playing it.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
Yay...?

This was my thought when i read the tread title . And i came here to say exactly this . This is not news . I never understood why people care if the main characters has boobs and a higher pitched voice . Now the real question is : Will these games be fun?

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
If they're indeed going to bring Liberation to the 360 I already know we'll be buying 2 and host of friends who will be buying it as we all (1) want a fem AC lead and (2) like AC already. I still however would like AC to make another fem lead game and not just leave it at Liberation counting their femhero quota to society fulfilled.

However the princess one art wise is exactly the type of game that turns me away as a fem player that's girly in bad way slap pink and cute animals is the quickest way to lose me. To me it says we're trying to attract girls look how pretty we made this for you its kind of like the girl eqivilant to showing male players the boobs in gaming placing sunshine, animals, and cute critters is suppose to be our form of boobs and it isn't. That stuff makes me want to nuke it from orbit and burn it with fire to be safe. I don't like the painting look just like I didn't like Okami's look not appealing. Even the plot turns me off it's just not a buy for me or anyone I know.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Neither of those videos will run for me right now. I'll have to look for info later.

Still, just their existence has me cautiously optimistic.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
You know what we need? Robot female leads, I want to play a game as female as crazy as Glados but armed with machine guns for hands.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Risingblade said:
You know what we need? Robot female leads, I want to play a game as female as crazy as Glados but armed with machine guns for hands.
Sounds like The Answer, in Persona 3: FES when you're playing Aigis, who ascends to Main Protagonist status and gains the previous PC's abilities on top of her being a 7th Generation Anti-Shadow Suppression Weapon. She's not crazy, though. And this is assuming you haven't played it already.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Couldn't give the slightest of fucks what gender the characters are. All that matters is if the game is good or not and I'm hoping Child of Light is good.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Malidictuim said:
So what?

Why does the gender of the lead character matter even slightly?
Some people like to identify with the gender of their character. Some people might just like the variety different characters can give to games instead of the usual formula. Some also like the idea of potentially opening gaming to a wider demographic. Some are just pleased that there's some positive female representation for once. Since when is this not worthy of discussion?