Ubisoft is working on at least 2 games with female playable leads. Not BG&E2, though. :(

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
DarkhoIlow said:
I'm still waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2 Ubisoft, please don't leave it in development hell.
I always wondered if it wasn't best to leave that game untouched by a sequel.
I could of taken it as a one off game if they hadn't of ended it with a cliffhanger. But to be honest I want to know what happens next, if they ever release a sequel and wrap it all up, then I will be happy to let the series rest in peace. However, as it stands there is stuff to be resolved and I want answers.

Just give me Beyond Good and Evil 2 God damn it Ubisoft!

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
<youtube=EZs3bD_m4uw>
And
<youtube=8ceW8gThzR8>

I realize Liberation is just a remake, but I've long wanted the game to come to console, and it's coming with extra stuff! Huzzah!

Child of Light seems like it's going to have an interesting story. 'd swear the guy talking about the game was getting choked up. o.o

Both games look fun, and I look forward to their release.

But I can hear it now. Why did I make a topic for this? To offer some praise for a company willing to do this. We can't just condemn the industry, as people have said before we should praise companies tht do offer female protagonists when we do.

I hope this comes as good news in general to the gaming community.

Edit:
Sorry for getting people's hopes up on BG&E2. Changed title appropriately.
Yeah I'll 'fess up. I am getting a reactionary dislike of "women in gaming issues" as it comes with an near "okay NOW what are they going to ***** about that I have no actual control over and little personal concern about my luxury hoobby I'm not supposed to take seriously and society tells me to feel deep shame about"

And then I see that article earlier in the year about the women of gaming defending and praising a MtG player (and I HATED ccgs, and creeped at professional gamers) and yeah this post. praise for stuff in the right direction. okay cool. These my people and are people with likes and dislikes who want this bad stuff to stop but will speak for good thing too.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Thr33X said:
Lightknight said:
As long as they're enjoyable games, great. Otherwise what's the point?

I think the statement nowadays is really more-so stable female protagonists (aka, no option of a male alternative). Not sure why alternatives of customize-ability isn't considered valid. !Saints Row 4 allows made with playable female leads!
The only reason people don't "count" Saints Row 4 (or any game in the series) is ignorance. How that's not considered valid but the Mass Effect games are is a perfect example of people thinking only what they want to think. Same way there's the high likelihood that some feminazi types would blow these titles off because they aren't "major". Last I checked a game was a game whether it's AAA or not.

Some people just won't be satisfied with anything. Fuck 'em.
If people aren't aware that Saints Row series allows for player customization, but are aware that the Mass Effect series is, and thus use that as an example is not something that is brushed aside. That is just pure ignorance.

Heck. Even I didn't know that about Saints Row until Jim talked about it. And now I'm very much interested in the game.
To say that "feminazis" are purposefully ignoring it for the sake of ignoring it is pretty silly and warped in my opinion.

I have also yet to see anyone say they aren't valid because of the fact that it's a customizable game.

Considering how FemShep in general is in the same league as Chell, and Alyx, despite her existence and canon validity solely hanging on whether or not the player decides they want to be a male commander or a female commander should be a clear that a good portion of feminists who play games do see the Mass Effect series, and other wildly popular customizable AAA games as a valid addition to strong female leads.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Lilani said:
Dev has to fight tooth and nail for a female protagonist, gamers be like, "OMG devs why don't you like females?!"

Dev opts for a female protagonist with no hassle, gamers be like, "Why should I give a rat's ass?"

Come on guys, make up your mind.

You asumme that EVERYONE said both stataments when its not the case most of the time...

COmparations like that are useless for that kind of reason.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Let us hope then that the games are made and written well so that it doesn't give Ubi and others more reasons to feed us that bullshit about male only protagonists sell.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I like child of light, not enough to play it, but I feel I'd like to watch it being played, and please, PLEASE, recognise that the reason we make female protagonists into a bigger deal, is because the game industry has a GODDAMN PROBLEM, insistence upon making shitty characters and generally male characters that are pathetic and poorly thought out, there are always exceptions, but when the industry is steering into a dark corner of stupidity, those who care will help it steer out, we can't just "enjoy" games anymore, because crack addicts love crack, drug dealers like dealing crack, we can't ignore the consequences as long as we get what WE want, I'm not gonna turn a blind eye to the stuff I don't like because I can.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Malidictuim said:
So what?

Why does the gender of the lead character matter even slightly?
Variety is the spice of life son.

And it apparently matters enough to publishers to pull women off the box art and ensure that the manly muscle men get top billing. Also feel free to make a list of title characters based on Gender.

It might not matter to you. But it might to a young generation of female gamers.

So don't pull the 'omg who the hell cares' card. Some care, you are not obligated to. You're catered too enough then.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Neither of those videos will run for me right now. I'll have to look for info later.
I had the same problem. Click the link and watch them on Youtube itself. I worked much better for me.

Rebel_Raven said:
Ya know I'm probably going to regret saying this, but wow it must be ever so nice to be pandered to so much that one can't possibly understand, or care to understand the joy others feel when they get pandered to. Especially when they get pandered to despite the industry having a ton of dislike over the gender of the female protagonist.
Quoted for truth. You said it.

I considered replying to some of those people directly, but it just isn't worth it. So thank you for summing it up in a far braver way that I likely would have.

Also, thank you for this thread in general! I'd never heard of either of these games - now they're both going on my wishlist.

Child of Light is just the sort of true-turn-based RPG that I've been missing of late. And I love how it looks like a 70s anime. ^^

AC: Liberation also looks really cool (it's apparently a port, but I'd never heard of it previously) - particularly the weaponized parasol. So awesome - so very awesome!

Edit: Or, neither one could be listed on Amazon yet. I guess I'll just have to remember both games until a little closer to their release. **sigh** Which means relying on my memory instead of that of a computer. Great.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Lightknight said:
I think the statement nowadays is really more-so stable female protagonists (aka, no option of a male alternative). Not sure why alternatives of customize-ability isn't considered valid. !Saints Row 4 allows made with playable female leads!
Psst... what are you talking about? Saints Row 4 got celebrated as progressive and inclusive for having the option of a female Boss. Multiple videos on this site and others praised it for exactly that reason (and others - it's a great game in general).

I preordered it as part of my "support games with female protagonist on release" push. Played it and loved it.

So who are these people you're talking about who say that Saints Row 4 doesn't support female protagonists?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Oooh Child of Light looks interesting, gonna keep an eye on it.

Lilani said:
Dev has to fight tooth and nail for a female protagonist, gamers be like, "OMG devs why don't you like females?!"

Dev opts for a female protagonist with no hassle, gamers be like, "Why should I give a rat's ass?"

lulz nicely put XD

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
aguspal said:
You asumme that EVERYONE said both stataments when its not the case most of the time...

KarmaTheAlligator said:
Lilani said:

You can't really generalise like this. Your statement requires it to be the same people complaining on both front to be true.
It may not be the same people, but they are still conflicting outcries about female protagonists. It's no wonder devs and publishers can't figure out what gamers want when it comes to females--every time anything happens with a female protagonist it stirs up a shitstorm. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Lilani said:
It may not be the same people, but they are still conflicting outcries about female protagonists. It's no wonder devs and publishers can't figure out what gamers want when it comes to females--every time anything happens with a female protagonist it stirs up a shitstorm. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Yeah, but there are conflicting outcries for just about everything. Best thing to do in my book is just ignore them, and make the game they want to make. They'll ruffle some feathers either way, so why bother?

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Lilani said:
aguspal said:

KarmaTheAlligator said:
Lilani said:

You can't really generalise like this. Your statement requires it to be the same people complaining on both front to be true.

Thats certainly true...

But theres not much anyone can do about it. People have different opinions you know...

It just happends. Its up to the devs to figure out what should they do.

That begin said, yeah, its probably hard for them due to the massive difference in opinions and th elike. But I doubt that is new for them at all. After all, literally every desing decition in their games are prone to different opinions from different people all the time.

Cant please them all.

Alternativly

KarmaTheAlligator said:
Lilani said:
Yeah, but there are conflicting outcries for just about everything. Best thing to do in my book is just ignore them, and make the game they want to make. They'll ruffle some feathers either way, so why bother?
This works too.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Darmani said:
Rebel_Raven said:
<youtube=EZs3bD_m4uw>
And
<youtube=8ceW8gThzR8>

I realize Liberation is just a remake, but I've long wanted the game to come to console, and it's coming with extra stuff! Huzzah!

Child of Light seems like it's going to have an interesting story. 'd swear the guy talking about the game was getting choked up. o.o

Both games look fun, and I look forward to their release.

But I can hear it now. Why did I make a topic for this? To offer some praise for a company willing to do this. We can't just condemn the industry, as people have said before we should praise companies tht do offer female protagonists when we do.

I hope this comes as good news in general to the gaming community.

Edit:
Sorry for getting people's hopes up on BG&E2. Changed title appropriately.
Yeah I'll 'fess up. I am getting a reactionary dislike of "women in gaming issues" as it comes with an near "okay NOW what are they going to ***** about that I have no actual control over and little personal concern about my luxury hoobby I'm not supposed to take seriously and society tells me to feel deep shame about"

And then I see that article earlier in the year about the women of gaming defending and praising a MtG player (and I HATED ccgs, and creeped at professional gamers) and yeah this post. praise for stuff in the right direction. okay cool. These my people and are people with likes and dislikes who want this bad stuff to stop but will speak for good thing too.
Well, to be honest, I don't think threads where people complain about representation of women are intended to do anything but be vocal about in hopes of the gaming industry hearing it. No one expects you to do anything... well, short of those people that say "Make your own game!" :p

I think this won't be the last thread of mine where I talk about upcoming games with female protagonists, but if people break the news first, I won't make a second topic about it, but I'll likely add to the thread made already.

For all my irritation with the gaming industry, I have expressed thanks for games with nice female representation as playable characters, and I look forward to having more motivation via good news of female representation from the gaming industry in the future. :3

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Neither of those videos will run for me right now. I'll have to look for info later.
I had the same problem. Click the link and watch them on Youtube itself. I worked much better for me.

Rebel_Raven said:
Ya know I'm probably going to regret saying this, but wow it must be ever so nice to be pandered to so much that one can't possibly understand, or care to understand the joy others feel when they get pandered to. Especially when they get pandered to despite the industry having a ton of dislike over the gender of the female protagonist.
Quoted for truth. You said it.

I considered replying to some of those people directly, but it just isn't worth it. So thank you for summing it up in a far braver way that I likely would have.

Also, thank you for this thread in general! I'd never heard of either of these games - now they're both going on my wishlist.

Child of Light is just the sort of true-turn-based RPG that I've been missing of late. And I love how it looks like a 70s anime. ^^

AC: Liberation also looks really cool (it's apparently a port, but I'd never heard of it previously) - particularly the weaponized parasol. So awesome - so very awesome!

Edit: Or, neither one could be listed on Amazon yet. I guess I'll just have to remember both games until a little closer to their release. **sigh** Which means relying on my memory instead of that of a computer. Great.
Bah, go ahead, and paraphrase me, or quote me. There's no reason to not be brave. What are the people that disagree going to do to you? :p

I think Child of Light, and AC: Liberation console version will be digital distribution, and I'm not sure Amazon deals in those. Plus they're still being worked on, or something. I'd willingly go broke getting them if they were out. lol

I love the weaponized parasol, too! It'll probably be my favorite weapon. I have no idea why, but weaponized Parasols/Umbrellas are a fav of mine.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Yay, its nice to see. :D as long as developers keep trying, and don't listen to those nasty feminists who will never be happy, im happy.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Darmani said:
I'm not sure if you mean you're supposed to be ashamed of gaming in general (if so, fuck society) or about the women in gaming issues. If the later, then you really shouldn't feel ashamed of that either. I just spent a huge post in another thread talking about how people asking game Devs to include more women or suggesting that certain literary tropes are sexist aren't a criticism of the Devs who make such games or the players who enjoy them. It's a literary critique and nothing more - it is a fan suggesting how game Devs can make better games.

Either way, there's no reason for your to feel ashamed about anything to do with gaming. Enjoy your games proudly.

Rebel_Raven said:
I think Child of Light, and AC: Liberation console version will be digital distribution, and I'm not sure Amazon deals in those. Plus they're still being worked on, or something. I'd willingly go broke getting them if they were out. lol
Oh. Well crap. I have 50 bucks of Amazon gift card at the moment, so I totally could, but you're right - no digital distribution on Amazon (at least not for consoles). Amazon has the Vita version of AC: Liberation, but I don't own a Vita.

I kinda hope they do release disk versions though. I don't have a digital wishlist to put these games on.

Rebel_Raven said:
I love the weaponized parasol, too! It'll probably be my favorite weapon. I have no idea why, but weaponized Parasols/Umbrellas are a fav of mine.
They're just to stylish and feminine. It's like beating people to death with your god-damn Princess wand - except with more frills and stabbing.

... also, this thread makes me think I should go back to my Kaorin avatar.

Edit: There. In honor of you, Rebel Raven, I am back to my Kaorin avatar. One of them, anyway.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Darmani said:
I'm not sure if you mean you're supposed to be ashamed of gaming in general (if so, fuck society) or about the women in gaming issues. If the later, then you really shouldn't feel ashamed of that either. I just spent a huge post in another thread talking about how people asking game Devs to include more women or suggesting that certain literary tropes are sexist aren't a criticism of the Devs who make such games or the players who enjoy them. It's a literary critique and nothing more - it is a fan suggesting how game Devs can make better games.

Either way, there's no reason for your to feel ashamed about anything to do with gaming. Enjoy your games proudly.

Rebel_Raven said:
Oh. Well crap. I have 50 bucks of Amazon gift card at the moment, so I totally could, but you're right - no digital distribution on Amazon (at least not for consoles). Amazon has the Vita version of AC: Liberation, but I don't own a Vita.

I kinda hope they do release disk versions though. I don't have a digital wishlist to put these games on.

Rebel_Raven said:
They're just to stylish and feminine. It's like beating people to death with your god-damn Princess wand - except with more frills and stabbing.

... also, this thread makes me think I should go back to my Kaorin avatar.

Edit: There. In honor of you, Rebel Raven, I am back to my Kaorin avatar. One of them, anyway.
Weaponized umbrellas/parasols can be masculine, too, not that I'm not saying you are saying they can't be masculine.
Penguin from batman, Hisame Shizumaru from Samurai Shodown, and Guido Anchovy from Samurai Pizza Cats are 3 male wielders of the weaponized umbrella.

Also:
<youtube=bO8G5zsQohg>

And I've seen a few umbrella style sword canes.

Well, what you could do is wait until they release, then buy a PSN/XBL card from amazon who'll send you the code to input. You'll have the money in your XBL/PSN account and can buy them. Or pre-order them for when they come out since PSN, and likelt XBLA allow you to pay for them ahead of time at a point.

If you're on PC, I dunno how it'd work.

XD Azumanga Daioh is a wonderful Anime/manga! :3

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
Weaponized umbrellas/parasols can be masculine, too, not that I'm not saying you are saying they can't be masculine.
Penguin from batman, Hisame Shizumaru from Samurai Shodown, and Guido Anchovy from Samurai Pizza Cats are 3 male wielders of the weaponized umbrella.
I was only talking about parasols when I said feminine. They are typically frilly. ^^

Umbrellas can indeed be quite masculine. Also phallic.

Rebel_Raven said:
Well, what you could do is wait until they release, then buy a PSN/XBL card from amazon who'll send you the code to input. You'll have the money in your XBL/PSN account and can buy them. Or pre-order them for when they come out since PSN, and likelt XBLA allow you to pay for them ahead of time at a point.
You can buy PSN cards on Amazon? Huh! Did not realize. That would work, I suppose. I guess I need to find when they'll be released on PSN. Does PSN have a wishlist? Never mind, rhetorical question - I'll check later tonight.

Rebel_Raven said:
Indeed! I love the new issues Azuma released a few years back (and the original, obviously, but the scene where Kaorin attempts to explain to Osaka about lesbians is priceless).

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Rebel_Raven said:
I was only talking about parasols when I said feminine. They are typically frilly. ^^

Umbrellas can indeed be quite masculine. Also phallic.

Rebel_Raven said:
You can buy PSN cards on Amazon? Huh! Did not realize. That would work, I suppose. I guess I need to find when they'll be released on PSN. Does PSN have a wishlist? Never mind, rhetorical question - I'll check later tonight.

Rebel_Raven said:
Indeed! I love the new issues Azuma released a few years back (and the original, obviously, but the scene where Kaorin attempts to explain to Osaka about lesbians is priceless).
True about Parasols. :p

Yeah, last I heard Amazon will send you codes for PSN cards. Amazon can be kinda picky about what is a valid purchase for funds though.
Sadly PSN lacks wishlists. Kinda annoying as I have a backlist of games to get and no way to remember them all in a secure manner. I tried but I keep losing my lists, digital, or no.

Azuma released more? I gotta dig that up! XD