Ubisoft Launches a Movie Studio

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
I've heard that they were considering Ghost Recon and Assassin's Creed movies, maybe this is the first step to something kickass?

Dirty-Zombie

Nov 26, 2009
This can work. Having the companies that make the games also make the movies might mean that an adaption would try to keep faithful to the original content. Though it can also go terribly wrong, where they will fulfill the same tradition that hollywood has with video game movies, but lets just stay positive for now.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
This is surprising and interesting news. I'm gonna agree with the previous comments and say "cautiously optimistic" sounds about right.

May 5, 2010
Wow guys, really? So this is your logic:

"Hey, videogame movies suck because people that make movies for a living don't 'get' videogames, so if people that MAKE games ALSO made the movies based on them, then they'd be good!"

There's a pretty fatal flaw here, and it's that PEOPLE WHO MAKE GAMES DON'T 'GET' MOVIES. Or rather: They don't know how to make movies. I mean, what if someone like Roger Ebert tried to make a game? It'd be horrible, right?

There ya go.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Here's hoping for the best. I would LOVE to see a Rainbow Six movie, even though Rainbow Six 3 had movie references out the butt.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm excited for Ubisoft. I'm sure this will be an interesting experience for everyone.

Having said that, I'm kinda disappointed that it's not Square-Enix, if only for the the fact that out of all video game companies out there, it's Square-Enix that looks like they really don't want to makes games anymore.

Konami doesn't count.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was a fluke.

No single Metal Gear Solid title was nearly as verbose as MGS4, not even MGS3.

For example, look at Peace Walker, where 99% of the exposition was purely optional.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:

"Hey, videogame movies suck because people that make movies for a living don't 'get' videogames, so if people that MAKE games ALSO made the movies based on them, then they'd be good!"

There's a pretty fatal flaw here, and it's that PEOPLE WHO MAKE GAMES DON'T 'GET' MOVIES. Or rather: They don't know how to make movies. I mean, what if someone like Roger Ebert tried to make a game? It'd be horrible, right?

There ya go.
These are sort of my thoughts. I don't see this turning out well for UbiSoft at all...

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I don't know how to feel about this other than I hope this works and we see some good video game movies.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
there is a disturbing amount of optimism in this thread. remember that the creator of the original prince of persia AND sands of time was on hand for the maybe half-mediocre film.

switching from directors who dont understand their source material to directors who dont understand how to translate it to film is hardly a sure step in the right direction... the best we can hope for is that they know not to hire uwe boll to make anything for them.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Jesus Christ, how awful. Anything but release a quality game.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ugh.

Well at least Uwe Boll will be happy.

"Finally, someone making game-movie adaptions that are worse than mine!"

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Remember that Assassin's Creed short movie? Yeaah that wasn't too bad. Maybe with a sizeable budget and good direction this might go somewhere. Plus, this is from the gaming company itself so they should [sub]maybe[/sub] understand better how to translate games to film.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm not so optomisitic. The 3-4 video game monopolies shouldn't be making games anymore because they have suits in charge instead of the artists and see you as a walking wallet to be nickle and dimed to death and as a criminal. Hopefully this will drive them into bankruptcy.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
This sort of business venture turned out REALLY bad for Squaresoft... Actually, isn't that a major factor why they teamed up with fellow falling giant Eidos to form...?

Square Enix...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
They can go and promise it, but companies have tried before. I'm still waiting on Oddworld's movie studio, but that hasn't gotten anywhere. Hell I'm still waiting for their next game. Lets just say my optomism for movie studios from gaming studio is not to optomistic after the desaster that was Final Fantasy Spirits Within.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
If they make an Assassin's Creed movie...
It should be something we have not seen. By that I mean do not show Altair during the first game or Ezio in his two. Maybe it can be about one of them, but show us a segment of their lives we have not yet seen. Maybe even make it actually tie in with the plot as canon.

Also Tom Clancy ones would be cool.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:

There ya go.
Except y'know. Cutscenes exist and there are some pretty kickass ones out there.

L2logic.