Ubisoft Making Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell Movies

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
DustyDrB said:
gundamrx101 said:
DustyDrB said:
Altair could be cool if they gave him just a little personality.
Right, a muslim assassin in the 1100's with a personality. Whatever characteristics he had were probably beaten out of him as a child as he was born into the order and trained.

OT: I look forward to an Assassin's Creed movie, as the prequel short to 2 was amazing. It makes me smile just to picture what they could do with a bigger budget.
I don't expect Ezio levels of charisma. Altair as he was in the game would make a boring movie protagonist. He made a pretty boring character (at least he did in the non stabby parts). It would be an action-adventure movie, not a period film. Total historical accuracy is not essential.
I don't know about that, his view points on the world and him learning to be humble and coming to terms with what he's done as well as his interactions with his nine targets allowed him to actually understand people and why they act the way they do. He said it best to King Richard when he said that even kings are vulnerable and that is why they do what they do. Altiar grew to see that the world isn't black and white as well as learn what it is to be human and strive for a world that didn't need assassin's nor templars as both are just as easily corrupted by power. He went from a detached person, to someone very wise and accepting.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
They're going to be sent to theaters with a horribly broken revolutionary new copy protection system that requires every viewer to maintain a constant internet connection to Ubisoft through their cell phones in order to watch the whole film. If any of them cuts out, the film will stop. Then the servers will go down in the middle of opening weekend and nobody will get a refund.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Assassin's Creed: I would actually prefer another ancestor/descendant than Someone/Desmond
Splinter Cell: Main character needs a good actor.
Ghost Recon:....Probably will be another military movie with the army or whatever is "gweates thang eva". (Which is and always will be the most boring kind of movie).

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
The main problem I can see is...who's going to play Sam Fisher? Michael Ironside's voice is synonymous with Sam Fisher, but he doesn't have the look of him.

Casting for everyone should be interesting though...

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
DustyDrB said:
Sion_Barzahd said:
DustyDrB said:
Assassin's Creed could make a great movie. Though I'm thinking of the Ezio stuff. I really don't care about the Desmond story. Altair could be cool if they gave him just a little personality.
As a promotion to AC2 they actually did make a film which you can download from the XBL marketplace. It is amazing.

Also i've been hoping a splinter cell movie would be made for ages now, especially of the earlier games where the dialogue was witty and clever.
I did watch that! I forgot until you mentioned it. It was quite good. It did a very nice job of gearing me up to play the game.
Now imagine a feature length version, and don't make a mess ;)

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
short answer: no
Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

longer answer: Movies based off of games have proven almost every time to be a bad idea. They tend to be a waste of money, money that could be far more easily devoted to the far better games that they are based off of...

That being said, an Assassin's Creed movie I think has the best merrit out of these, because a good part of the game is stealth, cinematics, and story. Very little of the game relies solely on the player being in constant action-fighting sequences, and often these ones are fairly cinematic as well. SO yeah, out of any game I could pick, AC is probably the best bet, but they better do it right and they better not trivialize the story. The games have always been really plot heavy and plot driven, and if they damage that it will hurt the games, badly.

Couldn't care less about the other two; don't like them, don't care about them.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Hold the phone! Prince of Persia?!? That was terrible! Please, Ubi, if you do anything -- anything at all -- don't make another catastrophe like that again! I'd take nine Pirates of the Caribbean over one Prince of Persia sequel, any day.

Assassin's Creed could be good, but we're talking a video game movie adaption here, and there will be a trite love story thrown in and it will be PG-13, unfortunately.

Ghost Recon... I... honestly have no idea. I played a little of the Ghost Recon: Future something-or-other on the 360, but what exactly is there besides another spec-ops, war movie type of deal? Oh goodie, a squad of military guys pointing silently, busting in doors, shooting terrorists, and then [insert terrorist plot cliche], only to [cliche], followed by [been there, done that], and... yeah, I think they'd have to stretch the name a bit to make anything other than a movie pastiche from tons of war movies already out there.

Tom Clancy I could also see. It wouldn't be pretty, and certainly not unique. Essentially another spy/stealthy movie, but totally relying on the name alone. Seriously, why not just play Splinter Cell?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
arc1991 said:
I think everyone is only skimming..This is Ubisoft, a company known for making games, not Hollywood. They know how the characters should act, feel, and appeal to the audience, not just throwing someone into a movie with the same outfit and name.

snip
Except they totally fucked up the Splinter Cell series by changing the core gameplay, and re-writing the main character, changing how Sam Fisher acted and felt.

Steve the Pocket said:
They're going to be sent to theaters with a horribly broken revolutionary new copy protection system that requires every viewer to maintain a constant internet connection to Ubisoft through their cell phones in order to watch the whole film. If any of them cuts out, the film will stop. Then the servers will go down in the middle of opening weekend and nobody will get a refund.
That is the first thing I thought of when I read this.

OT: I didn't like Assassins Creed, god what a dull game, but I would pay good money to see the movie if the main character was played by Andrew Dice Clay.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
"Our strategy is not to diversify but to bolster the appeal of our franchises - that's why we want to make sure our films will reflect the brands accurately and consolidate our fan base while expanding beyond the games' primary target audience"

Yay! This makes me happy. It sounds like things will actually be done right this time. If this works out other publishers will see the benefit and join in and we'll start to see more and more good video game movies. It may even turn back on itself and motivate publishers to make games with better stories that are worth making films out of in the first place. I now find it a bit easier to envision a happy future for video game storytelling.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Assassins Creed and Splinter Cell movies would be pretty cool, but I don't recall Ghost Recon being very good movie material.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Inferno_622 said:
Can't have a Splinter Cell film without Ironside's voice, and I'm not sure he'd be able to act a live action Sam.
I dunno, he was aging rather well during Starship Troopers. Granted, that was a decade and then some ago...but I think he could still pull it off.

agentironman

Sep 22, 2009
I was asked to take the survey regarding a movie franchise but apparently they didn't heed my advice and refrain from doing it. Oh, well.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed and, Ghost Recon...I'm definitely seeing Ass Creed but the other two have never been that important to me. Maybe the trailers released between 2012 - 2015 will make me change my mind but by then, I'll probably be too excited by the latest rumors of the Justice League movie [/wishful_thinking]

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Well, since Marvel's taken the reins for the film adaptations of their properties, the quality's become a lot higher and more consistent, so I imagine Ubisoft's trying to duplicate that success.

Assassin's Creed would be my preference since it has the most original premise. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's a filmable premise in today's Hollywood. Having the protagonist being the projection of another protagonist means basically playing bait-and-switch with your lead actor. Not sure many actor's agents would take that deal, unless they play up the ancestral resemblance and have the same actor play Desmond/Altair/Ezio/other ancestor. Then you'd need an actor who could pull off 2 or 3 roles convincingly. And the Templar/Assassin conspiracy backstory is so complicated, it makes the Da Vinci Code look like The Fast & The Furious.

It could work as a TV series, though. Just take The Borgias series, and every time someone's assassinated, use CGI to change the assassin to Ezio. Then throw in some scenes where Ezio talks to Leonardo Da Vinci and Machiavelli, and finds the Piece of Eden. Done.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Thats pretty badass news. I wonder who they got to pay sam fisher?

If vin diesel was 10 years older hed be perfect.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Fine with Splinter Cell, and I don't know Ghost Recon, but please, don't do Assassin's Creed. Keep the expanded universe in the realm of comic books; that way, when you totally screw it up it won't have as big an impact.