Ubisoft: Modern Day Assassin's Creed Mechanically Unfeasible

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Good. I want Assassin's Creed to be about unique historic settings. Now let me have my feudal Japan ninja Assassins and revolutionary France.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
"There are just too many mechanics we would have to develop to make it believable," says lead writer Darby McDevitt, "vehicles, plausible modern cities, a huge array of ranged weapons, etc."
Why don't they set it in a smaller city or even in a couple of large towns and villages instead? Then you don't need to make such large single maps and won't have skyscrapers everywhere. Then set it in a country which has strict gun control so that you don't need so many ranged weapons. Maybe even set it in some African country that is having a civil war, it's a modern setting but doesn't require crazy modern technology. The conflict is built in and they can bullshit people by saying it's an artistic commentary on yadda yadda yadda. Have Kony as an easter egg character too, since loads of people wouldn't mind stabbing his spleen.

This just reeks of them being too lazy to write a decent modern story.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So, basically, they notice JUST NOW that the thing they were obviously trying to make since the first game... suddenly is not possible? Despite the fact that THERE ARE GAMES THAT DID IT ALREADY?

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
I wouldn't really call AssCreed's 'control freaks vs anarchist jerks' a "philosophical conflict", it's more of a murderous conflict.

Pity though I missed the AMA, I would have liked to ask them why they are continuing Philip IV's work through their story writing.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
cursedseishi said:
Essentially what I was going to say, and was even joking about while at work when I read it.

People are bringing up "Watch Dogs" as a modern Assassin's Creed, but Splinter Cell works as well for it. The fact that they claim they couldn't do what any basic open world action game has done since the rather late PS1-PS2/etc era is just utter bull. It's not that they can't do it, they just don't want to put any actual work into it.
Yeah
Splinter Cell+Watch Dogs= Modern AssCreed
Anyone noticed that both games were published by Ubisoft?
I haven't played any AssCreed game (and don't care about them- although if story would be finally brought to present setting I would be tempted to try it out), but the level of hypocrisy here is ridiculous

P.S.Anyone else is sick of these never ending stories? My personal threshold is trilogy (with 3-4 expansions for each game). If same story is being dragged longer I start to not give a fuck.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Good. I want Assassin's Creed to be about unique historic settings. Now let me have my feudal Japan ninja Assassins and revolutionary France.
You know that for you the game would be extremely hard?
Cyber-mechanical augmentations aren't something from the past.
Best you could get would be wooden legs, hooks for arms and glass eyes :D

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Jandau said:
Yes, Ubisoft, it is possible. And it's being made. By YOU! You're just calling it Watch Dogs.

Seriously, this is hilarious. They are pretty much making the game already, or something so close to it that it invalidates the argument. Grated, you might say "Then just play Watch Dogs.", but that's besides the point. People would like a modern AssCreed game for the setting and to perhaps resolve the plot (at least somewhat). But it's not being made, even though Ubisoft is pretty much making it already. And what does this tell us? That Ubisoft would like to milk the AssCreed franchise for at least several more sequels, but can't really come out and say it, so they pussyfoot about with lame excuses...
Maybe Watchdogs secretely is the modern version of Assassin's Creed.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
In other words... "This franchise is literally engineered to last forever!"

It's every publishers wet dream! A franchise that hooked players with endlessly reproducible gameplay. It's the third person version of COD.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
Is anyone really asking for more Connor? A house plant has more life and charisma than he did. He is Blandy Blanderson, captain of the H.M.S Bland.
Actually yes, people are. People liked the fact that his character wasn't loved by all because it shows that he was different. He was naive to the colonists' ways due to little interaction with them, stern because of what happened to his mother and how the colonist had treated him and he wasn't a ladies man. Instead of being just an arrogant guy who gets any girl he wants and basically being a canvas to project yourself on to fulfill a fantasy, Connor was a fully fleshed out and interesting character.

That doesn't mean you have to like him, but please don't say he is bland, he is anything BUT bland.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"There are just too many mechanics we would have to develop to make it believable," says lead writer Darby McDevitt, "vehicles, plausible modern cities, a huge array of ranged weapons, etc."

Yeah, if they did that then they wouldn't be able release a game on a yearly basis, and we can't have that, can we?

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Wait!! Desmond's dead? Since when!?

OT: I guess is sucks that they're not making a modern one, don't know why they couldn't just make it like Mirror's Edge and not worry about vehicles or any of that other stuff.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
"There will certainly be a resolution to the most recent plot developments," says McDevitt, "but the overall conflict will probably rage forever, just like most deeply divided philosophical conflicts."

Translation: "End this cash cow? Ahahaha you be crazy!"

Thanks for the honest heads up though Ubi, now I know I'm not ever going to miss anything having skipped AC3 and by skipping AC 4/5/6/7/Eleventybillion, I do actually appreciate that.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
GoaThief said:
Thanks for the spoiler warning.

Such a nice thing to shove in to an article allegedly about the technical reasons why a modern setting Assassin's Creed isn't feasible.

Very unhappy and unimpressed.
I second this emotion. Sure I've been a lazy arse and not played any of AC3 yet, let alone powering through AC4 I haven't bought, but... come on now.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Of course its mechanically feasible. plenty of gmaes already did it. but you seem to love your shiny ships and already-too-old-and-boring pirates.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
So, just me who thinks that a modern Assassin's Creed game would completely defeat the point,then?

It would be comparable to a Call of Duty game set during peacetime...