Ubisoft Now Offering Up The Crew for Free on PC for 30 Days

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ubisoft Now Offering Up The Crew for Free on PC for 30 Days

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1349/1349339.jpgThe newest game Ubisoft is offering up for free as part of its 30th anniversary celebration is The Crew.

Ubisoft has been celebrating their 30th anniversary with free games ever since their E3 press conference. Every 30 days, they've been offering a new game completely gratis. So far, you could have gotten Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (June), Splinter Cell (July), and Rayman: Origins (August).

This month, the free offering is The Crew, the racing game developed by Ivory Tower. If you pick up Ubi's racer for free, you can look forward to the upcoming Calling all Units expansion. It will add police versus racer gameplay, as well as a 12-mission story that sets it up. The expansion is due out November 29 on all platforms.

If you want to pick up The Crew while it's free, all you need to do is head over to the Ubi30 website [https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/ubi30], log in, and click the button. As usual, you'll have to use Uplay to download and play.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Seems something has been started with these free games. PS+, games for gold, ubi, origin ... wonder what has gotten into the devs and publishers?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
omega 616 said:
Seems something has been started with these free games. PS+, games for gold, ubi, origin ... wonder what has gotten into the devs and publishers?
Its Ubisoft's 30th anniversary. Thats the reason for this anyways.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
omega 616 said:
In the case of The Crew, there's a ton of DLC so I guess they're hoping you'll enjoy the base game enough to shell out for the expansion or some DLC car packs. Also, there's a new expansion coming out in November, I think, so this is well timed to expand the playerbase (and therefore potential buyers) ready for the launch.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Is it just a racing game? I'm not overly fond of racing games except GTA5, in which I can usually just leave and blow something up.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Is it just a racing game? I'm not overly fond of racing games except GTA5
Lol what goes on in GTA can't even laughably be called racing, their is just too many broken game mechanics to describe the final result as a 'race'.

The Crew suffers from the same issue, in that it seems like racing but broken game mechanics, i.e Ai that openly cheats ruin the experience. The open world concept is pretty good, it's sheer size alone is amazing but other than that it is an utterly mediocre racing game. Then again it's free, which is more than will ever happen with GTA5, so.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
nickpy said:
omega 616 said:
In the case of The Crew, there's a ton of DLC so I guess they're hoping you'll enjoy the base game enough to shell out for the expansion or some DLC car packs. Also, there's a new expansion coming out in November, I think, so this is well timed to expand the playerbase (and therefore potential buyers) ready for the launch.
Pretty much (for this game specifically anyway, the other free ones are as old as the hills), the season pass and wild run together will cost you over $40 on the Uplay store currently if anyone ends up wanting to buy extra content.
I wanted to re-check the store quick actually to make sure I'm right about the price and its currently down. People are probably swarming in droves to grab it I guess.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for the heads up, Ron! Tbh I still haven't created a UPlay account 'till this day. Only games I played which needed it this generation I've used a friend's account (Far Cry 3 and 4). Made one just now, we'll see if this is worth playing, now that it's actually free. The deal breaker for me though would be physics and wheel support. I know it supports my wheel (G27), but if it's too arcadey/rubber banding/annoying shit cops as per the reviews, then I won't stick with it for long.

Still waiting for Rainbow 6: Siege to go on sale, and one fine day The Division, if I can get a friend or two interested enough to give it a bash.

LonePunman

Jan 3, 2016
omega 616 said:
It's pretty straight forward. When a game has passed its prime earning potential, meaning, people aren't going out and buying the game on its own anymore, they can instead give the game away for free as incentive to draw gamers toward their platform.

How many people signed on with PS+ because of the free games? If those games were all past their prime, giving them away for free still made Sony and the developer money by netting an increase of subscriptions.

With uPlay, maybe Ubisoft is hoping to get more people hooked on the service. An essentially harmless gamble for a game that presumably is no longer selling well.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
LonePunman said:
omega 616 said:
It's pretty straight forward. When a game has passed its prime earning potential, meaning, people aren't going out and buying the game on its own anymore, they can instead give the game away for free as incentive to draw gamers toward their platform.

How many people signed on with PS+ because of the free games? If those games were all past their prime, giving them away for free still made Sony and the developer money by netting an increase of subscriptions.

With uPlay, maybe Ubisoft is hoping to get more people hooked on the service. An essentially harmless gamble for a game that presumably is no longer selling well.
For the most part yes there are a couple of odd exceptions, binding of Isaac rebirth was free on release day. Then there are a couple of games past their prime but games I was interested in, the tomb raider reboot, for example.

LonePunman

Jan 3, 2016
Blitsie said:
nickpy said:
omega 616 said:
Pretty much (for this game specifically anyway, the other free ones are as old as the hills), the season pass and wild run together will cost you over $40 on the Uplay store currently if anyone ends up wanting to buy extra content.
I wanted to re-check the store quick actually to make sure I'm right about the price and its currently down. People are probably swarming in droves to grab it I guess.
Sheesh... it was worth a try and I'm not gonna knock a free game, but I've got about 20 minutes into it and I'm already bored.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
LonePunman said:
Sheesh... it was worth a try and I'm not gonna knock a free game, but I've got about 20 minutes into it and I'm already bored.
Same here haha. I was already mostly put off when it felt like I was hovering over the terrain during the intro off-road segment, like I was going up and downhill with it having little noticeable effect on the 4x4. The street racing didn't fare any better, you can immediately notice all the assists working in place to keep you from crashing and I'm not talking about your standard driver assists found in cars, the game literally nudged my car in all sorts of directions for me to avoid collisions like I was playing some shoddy mobile racer. I don't know if I accidentally had it on easy mode or something but it was hilariously lame.

It was heading to a tuner that had me give up and uninstall though. The game threw a whole medley of levels and gimmicks and stuff I couldn't care less about without any effort to ease me in and I just thought "I'm not gonna even bother". Looks like the game is filled with all the usual Ubisoft sandbox tripe anyway which would've had me quit anyway haha.

Meh, it was free at least.