Ubisoft: Obama's Purchase of Just Dance Proves Series' Universal Appeal

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Ubisoft: Obama's Purchase of Just Dance Proves Series' Universal Appeal

The president's December 2011 Christmas gift to his daughters skyrocketed awareness of the game, according to Ubisoft's managing director.

What's proof of a product's mass market appeal? If you're Ubisoft, the answer is a purchase from the leader of the United States. President Obama bought a copy of Just Dance 3 for the Wii from a local Best Buy in December of 2011 as a gift for his daughters, and the ensuing PR from the buy helped catapult mainstream recognition of the franchise, according to Ubisoft managing director Xavier Poix.

"We got so many phone calls that day," Poix said in an interview with IGN. "My first thought was that our PR in the U.S. must be really good, but no, I was thinking: now we're universal. The image that we wanted to convey with the game, the spirit of it, really worked. The president, in front of 80 cameras, can think, 'I'm not making a mistake in showing that I love this game.' It is so simple and positive that nobody could object. We're very proud of that."

The Wii version of the latest edition of the franchise, Just Dance 2014, was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130885-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-GTA-V-and-Wiis-Just-Dance-2014-Top-Amazon-Holiday-Sales>one of Amazon's best selling games this past holiday season, so the popularity of the franchise has clearly endured. Just Dance 2014 is also available on Wii U, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Source: Gamespot

loa

Jan 28, 2012
What the hell.
The president is a normal human being like me and you.
His purchase of anything doesn't prove anything your purchase of a product doesn't also prove.
How about that? Shocking revelation, I know.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Did anyone else think for a second that Obama had bought Just Dance? Like, Purchased the IP for some reason?

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
It's just dancing...in front of your TV. It hardly counts as a game. You could achieve the same effect by having someone continuously pressing equals on a calculator as you dance. That's the appeal. To dance like an idiot except you have a reason.
At least I could understand Guitar Hero. There are buttons. Follow these button presses. Didn't do well? Practice said buttons.

Just Dance: You want to dance? Can't dance? Don't worry, the Kinect will register your arm flailing as dancing anyway!

It "appeals" because it's simple. The majority of people who don't play a lot of games like simple.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Tch, I hate celebrity culture.

I mean, I get that Obama is actually important instead of an actor/model, but still his opinion on video games isn't an objective signal of quality.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
DaWaffledude said:
Did anyone else think for a second that Obama had bought Just Dance? Like, Purchased the IP for some reason?
Yeah, but mostly because I couldn't understand the big deal if he had just bought the game. Sadly I was wrong, it does count as news when the president buys a game for Christmas. He didn't even shell out for one of the new consoles...

This is interesting though, I was checking out weekly sales charts for games a short while ago (don't remember exactly when) and I was surprised to see Just Dance pop up among the top 10. Now I know why. We truly haven't evolved that much from the other great apes it seems...

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Two things:

1. The fact that the president bought "Just Dance" is proof he has teenage daughters.... And nothing more, we kinda already knew that. (just saying)

2. Why is there an article being posted today about something that happened 3 years ago?

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Now, if we could get a video of the President Obama "Just Dance"ing, that'd be amusing...

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
All this proves is what we've all always known, that being that if you are famous anything you do no matter how mindnumbingly insignificant is somehow considered newsworthy.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I think I speak for a lot of video game retailer employees who didn't know about this when I say:

THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH!
(seriously, the article isn't kidding... out of [seemingly] nowhere suddenly EVERYONE had to have Just Dance)

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Louzerman102 said:
I read that title as Just CAUSE. Have to admit, massively disappointed right now.
Don't be. Obama has access to Steam like the rest of us. :D

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Obama buying Just Dance is as much of a statement as the picture of him shooting a shotgun. To say, not much.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Why is this news now? Shouldn't this have been a thing a few years ago?

DaWaffledude said:
I thought that as well. Was all "I...wat?"

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
AnthrSolidSnake said:
It's just dancing...in front of your TV. It hardly counts as a game. You could achieve the same effect by having someone continuously pressing equals on a calculator as you dance. That's the appeal. To dance like an idiot except you have a reason.
At least I could understand Guitar Hero. There are buttons. Follow these button presses. Didn't do well? Practice said buttons.

Just Dance: You want to dance? Can't dance? Don't worry, the Kinect will register your arm flailing as dancing anyway!

It "appeals" because it's simple. The majority of people who don't play a lot of games like simple.
Yeah, I don't consider these games as games at all. Not like those other games that... aren't just pressing buttons or doing something to comply with actions on a screeeeeen.........?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Pretty sure politicians are known for making bad decisions, even if they think it would benefit them personally. I don't think too many people cared Obama bought a particular game. People might just seen it in the news because they had nothing else report on and thought, "oh, we gots one o'them thar Keen-Nict thangs sitting 'round. Let's git that game fur Sue-Belle."(My apologies to any offended Southerners. I just can't convey the accent of yuppie FIBs in my area that would also say something like that through text.) What else is there to buy for the kinect? Not much.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
One thing i dont udnerstand, the president bought it in 2011 and ubisoft only talking about it now? arent they kinda... 2 years late to the party?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Louzerman102 said:
I read that title as Just CAUSE. Have to admit, massively disappointed right now.
Fear not- for the delusion can continue!

There, is that a bit better for all concerned?