Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

It looks like Ubisoft's new online DRM scheme is going to be even worse than we thought: Gamers will need a constant internet connection to play Assassin's Creed 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-II-Playstation-3/dp/B00269DX5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279052535&sr=1-1] on the PC and if it drops, so does the game.

Ubisoft announced in January that as part of its ongoing effort against piracy, all of its future PC releases would require gamers to <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97778-Ubisoft-Details-New-Anti-Piracy-Plan
">connect to the internet and log in to Ubi.com [http://www.ubi.com] in order to play. Trying to sell the scheme as a positive move for gamers, the publisher pointed out that it would allow players to install their games on an unlimited number of PCs and access their saved games from any of them, because saves would be stored remotely. "We think most people are going to be fine with it," Ubisoft's Brent Wilkinson said. "Most people are always connected to an Internet connection."

Unfortunately, it appears as though it won't be quite that simple. As PC Gamer [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235290&site=pcg] discovered during its recent look at the PC version of Assassin's Creed 2, you'll not only have to connect to Ubisoft servers to start the game, you'll also have to stay connected while you play. And woe betide anyone whose connection happens to crap out while they're playing: If it does, the game will drop out to the main menu and any progress made since the last save or checkpoint is lost.

Oh, and if Ubisoft's servers hiccup momentarily while you're playing? Same deal.

It's bad enough that PC gamers won't be able to start their games if Ubisoft happens to have its servers down for a few hours for maintenance, but to be kicked out of games and lose progress because of it? Or because a router is accidentally unplugged or an ISP goes down for a couple of minutes? It's utterly mind-boggling, and absolutely inexcusable. Does Ubisoft really think that gamers are going to be "fine" with that?

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
As a PC gamer, does Ubisoft not realize we are an unforgiving bunch? Do they also not realize we complain like there's no tomorrow?

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
sirdanrhodes said:
As a PC gamer, does Ubisoft not realize we are an unforgiving bunch? Do they also not realize we complain like there's no tomorrow?
Yeah! We should boycott the game! That ALWAYS works.

Xhu

Nov 15, 2009
That is a terrible idea. Simply terrible. And the worst part is that the only people who will have to deal with it are those who legally purchase the game.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Some people at Ubisoft really need to take a step back from whatever they're doing and actually look at it, I mean LOADS of thing SOUND good, I mean I can say "Water powered vehicles will save the world" but if I put water in my bike's fuel tank it WON'T WORK. Similar principal here

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
I give it a week tops before there is a work-around crack courtesy of those magnificent pirates.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Fuck right off. Even if I did pay for a Ubisoft game from now on, It looks like I'd have to pirate it just to be allowed to play.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
AngryMongoose said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Yeah! We should boycott the game! That ALWAYS works.
Hey, it doesn't always work, I accept that. I am just saying that we're like those bickering grans you hear on the back of the bus. We just don't give up.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I see no problem with this. As we all know there is never any problem with the internet, and you can get a high quality connection from anywhere in the world, a train, a boat, an airplane, a tunnel, everywhere.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Starke said:
I think I speak for everyone on the PC when I say: What the fuck. :(
/Agree

I mean DUDE!
Brent Wilkinson said:
"Most people are always connected to an Internet connection."
Ahem. MOST is not everybody. I personally disable my wireless device when I am playing offline, just means I don't get spammed with "Retrying connection" in a pop-up balloon when my internet does die, which is quite alot on a wireless network with a weak signal.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
What...the....Fuck? Ubisoft April 1st isn't for another month and a half, you jumped the gun far to early for a joke of this caliber.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
What world does Ubisoft live on when they think people are connected to the internet all the time? This is probably the worst DRM I've ever seen, ever.