Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

kirok

Jul 19, 2009
Well, like nearly every other single player game I am sure it will be available to torrent with all these DRM issues fixed on release day anyways.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Wow that's absurd. And I thought some of XBL's DLC policies were silly...

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Well, Screw Ubisoft, I guess I'm not getting Assassin's Creed 2 after all.

Or anything by them, actually. At least not until they drop this idiotic policy.

I hope other companies don't start to copy them though, could be a nightmare...

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
kirok said:
Well, like nearly every other single player game I am sure it will be available to torrent with all these DRM issues fixed on release day anyways.
Which is why they even try DRM in the first place. It's a nasty vicious cycle, but piracy is not the answer. Ever.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
This is why I buy games of this type for console, no BS there unless you count XBL.....

breadlord

Apr 21, 2009
Rainboq said:
I had exactly the same reaction
DarkSaber said:
I give it a week tops before there is a work-around crack courtesy of those magnificent pirates.
I bet it'll be less than a day
It was a bad choice to say what they are going to do. Now the pirate can think of what they do. (Which, in most cases, would have the game codex thingy that requires the servers would be re-routed to a server on the hard-drive.)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, I guess I could blame Ubisoft, but it's their product that's stolen. I hate pirates.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
breadlord said:
SNIP

[/quote]

My reaction right there. Did some one go around Ubisoft's office with a sledge hammer and give everyone brain damage? Who the fuck thinks this is a good idea?! Even on their end what is the point of this, what could the gain? They must know that there is going to be some type of crack that enables their "single player" game to be played without and internet connection. Uggg, just saying that line made me want to cut myself. Fellow PC gamers, it has come to this.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I had 65$ laid out for Assassins Creed 2.

Well, fuck that, off to the Torrents now.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
That's that then isn't it? No PC ubisoft games for me from this point on. I'm not even going to make a big deal out of it.

That's just the way it is if they take this route.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Well, this is a perfect solution that stops piracy by... actually, no, it doesn't stop piracy, since someone somewhere in the world's going to crack it sooner or later, and then all the pirates will download that anyway. But it does make things better for the paying customers by... randomly dropping out and eating all your bandwidth, leading some of your paying customers to jump on the pirate train.

I'm sure someone somewhere thinks this will decrease piracy, but I can't fathom how.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The publisher pointed out that it would allow players to install their games on an unlimited number of PCs and access their saved games from any of them, because saves would be stored remotely.
I am going to hit you, and then you are going to thank me.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
My internet disconnects every ten minutes or so.....

I think Ubisoft dislikes me.

So if I want to play this game I have no choice but to pirate it??!! I don't understand how they thought this was a good idea.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Hiphophippo said:
That's that then isn't it? No PC ubisoft games for me from this point on. I'm not even going to make a big deal out of it.

That's just the way it is if they take this route.
It's not like it really matters anyways, Ubisoft has never made a good PC port, so it just gives gamers more of a reason for them not to go to Ubisoft. Lets just pray to god that no other big publisher thinks this is a good idea, cause then we are really fucked.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Can't wait to see the working game on pirate sites without any of the online hassle on day one of release. I probably wouldn't have got it anyway, my PC can't handle it, but it's still not even funny how all their efforts will, as always, be wasted on paying customers' nerves. It will most definitely not stop piracy.

Why is it that no big developer can't seem to understand that the good publicity from not using this kind of DRM would bring in far, far more sales than their attempts to make pirates pay for games? I don't think anyone who intended on downloading a copy would say, "Wow, this sure is some hardy DRM, I think my days of free games are over. I better buy the game now!" It only loses customers. Even though boycott groups don't solve anything in terms of getting things done, there still are some people who do actually boycott and not buy the games... and the loss of these loyal customers is surely worse than people playing the game for free, right?

Do developers never read the reactions they got towards DRM? Are their PR guys so blind? Can they honestly see no negative repercussions to pricing PC games higher (to match console prices) and then adding unnecessary hassles that will only influence paying customers? Are they really as egotistical as to think their method of DRM will be the one to stop piracy? Someone open their eyes!

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Well, that's a few less games I'll be buying. Guess that'll save me a couple bucks and a few hours.

It's a shame... I was looking forward to playing AC2. Sad Face.....

Oh well.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Xhu said:
That is a terrible idea. Simply terrible. And the worst part is that the only people who will have to deal with it are those who legally purchase the game.
I think this is the main reason this idea sucks. Legitimate users will have to deal with this nonsense, while pirates (you know, the people these measures are supposed to be targeted at) will download a crack and never suffer any of the ill effects.

Again, DRM does exactly the opposite of what it's supposed to do. The customer gets shafted and the pirates get away laughing.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
It's a good thing console players don't have to deal with this crap. I can imagine how bad DRM must be.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Dahaka27 said:
This is why I buy games of this type for console, no BS there unless you count XBL.....
But you don't have to be connected to XBL to play the game. You put the disc in and it is guaranteed work... excluding RROD of course