Ubisoft Probes Interest in Assassin's Creed and Ghost Recon Film Adaptations

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ubisoft Probes Interest in Assassin's Creed and Ghost Recon Film Adaptations

Ubisoft distributed a survey to select consumers asking whether they'd watch a Ghost Recon movie or what Assassin's Creed movie plot would interest them most.

Surveys are great marketing tools. By asking consumers directly what they might like to consume, companies can target potential audiences with almost pinpoint precision. We're in an age now though where enterprising consumers can take screencaps of said survey and post them online, getting the rumor mills turning on products that were mere speculation. The Prince of Persia movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal grossed more than $335 million and the big wigs at Ubisoft realized that it owns many marketable franchises. Based on the survey sent out this week, executives are considering pimping at least two of those IPs - Assassin's Creed and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - to get Hollywood adaptations of them made.

According to a user at Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138780], Ubisoft's survey asked general questions regarding which actors or directors were favored before getting into the nitty-gritty of what plot would get you into the theaters to see a Ghost Recon film. Would you rather see the movie bridge the gap between games or introduce new characters and stories?

The same line of questioning was pursued for a possible Assassin's Creed movie. Would you like to learn more about Ezio or Subject 16, or watch a movie that introduced a new assassin character?

On the one hand, I understand that movies can be great for videogame publishers to bring their brands and intellectual properties to potentially new audiences. I haven't seen the numbers, but it makes sense that game sales for a franchise get a bump whenever a movie tie-in is released. And while videogame movies are outgrowing the awfulness of Uwe Boll, it is by far a sure thing that a film based on a game will be good or make any money. Ubisoft might be better served concentrating on making decent games than wondering which of its IPs would make the best movie.

Having said all that, I'm totally going to watch the World of Warcraft movie on the first night its out.

Source: Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138780]

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
1. I don't take much interest in video game to movie adaptations.
2. Ghost Recon could be cool, but there's no way the movie could actually rely on the game's fanbase to make it successful, so they probably won't pay any attention to the canon... and why call it Ghost Recon, then?

Could be a pretty good movie, though.

Assassin's Creed - I just can't imagine anything like that working.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
1. 2. Ghost Recon could be cool, but there's no way the movie could actually rely on the game's fanbase to make it successful, so they probably won't pay any attention to the canon... and why call it Ghost Recon, then?

Could be a pretty good movie, though.
Ghost recon movie would probably play out as a regular action movie with some tie-ins with GR-ip.
Nothing special though.

Patty1234

May 7, 2010
It would be interesting to see an Assassin's Creed film that perhaps revealed a bit more about the Assassins before Desmond came on the scene. Or maybe some insight into the background of Subject 16. Particularly if you're a lazy arse like me and can't be bothered to go trudging through the whole of Rome trying to find the secret puzzley wormhole things.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
I think there are already more than enough crap Tom Clancy everythings, so no to that one.
And I don´t think an AC movie would be a good idea either, because the lore is already a confusing and silly mess, so I don´t think a movie would help anyone.

However, I would be quite interested in a movie that borrows some elements from the AC games. If for no other reason, then because I like the periods and places the games are set in.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Patty1234 said:
It would be interesting to see an Assassin's Creed film that perhaps revealed a bit more about the Assassins before Desmond came on the scene. Or maybe some insight into the background of Subject 16. Particularly if you're a lazy arse like me and can't be bothered to go trudging through the whole of Rome trying to find the secret puzzley wormhole things.
Assassins origin story or maybe Desmond's descendant rather than ancestor

OT: I love how they're asking the public what actors would fit best, what they want, what kind of plot interests them. THIS is how you make a video game based movie. Instead of assuming what people would want to see based on the games, GIVE them what they want to see

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I could see a Subject 16 movie from AC or the initial foundation of the Assassins-Templar war. They would have to make sure they skip past the tech for the most part and use the "it just works, don't question the science" kind of science fiction. They wouldn't be able to go in and out of the Animus if used, only at the start, middle, and end to signal the changes in Acts and remind the viewer that what they are watching already happened and they are learning from the machine. A final fight outside the animus using the bleeding effect would be cool too.

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
I want an AC movie, but the only way the movie would be any good is if it completely abandoned the traditional serious action movie characters and plot and went instead for massive camp appeal. My perfect version of the movie would be like a Renaissance version of Kill Bill and directed by Quentin Tarantino (although to be fair I think every movie ever made would be better if it were directed by Tarantino)

X10J

May 15, 2010
I like the idea of an Assassin's Creed movie, I just don't know if it'd work. The second game would probably take too long.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
Assassins Creed makes for a good premise, and already proven to translate well by the the mini series they did.

GRAW though? Would probably just turn into a generic war/shooter film.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
Assassins creed movie would be a better premise, GR movies are just going to be a standard action movie.

joes

Oct 15, 2010
AC would def make the better movie. First, don't include desmond, the animus or anything about the modern plot. Tell the story of Ezio taking on the Borgia (an amalgam of the 2nd and 3rd games) and then make it bad ass as hell.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Don't. Just don't. They're not suited for movies and the movies will probably suck. Sure, you can make awesome movies from them. As Moviebob says, you can make a good movie out of anything. I just doubt they will make a good movie.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Neither of those games are particularly suited to become films, although, if I had to pick, I'd want to see Assassin's Creed over Ghost Recon - because the latter would be essentially nothing more than a war film.