Ubisoft Reveals Red Steel 2

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ubisoft Reveals Red Steel 2

Red Steel 2, the sequel to the disappointing swords-n-guns launch title for the Wii, takes place in a desert and is all about Wii Motion Plus, according to Ubisoft's official announcement today.

Red Steel seemed like the perfect Wii game on paper. Swords and guns? With motion control? How could it go wrong, we all thought (well I did). Things didn't go exactly as planned, with the game failing to live up to the potential of its concept, but Ubisoft's determined to make good on the promise of a game with katanas and pistols in Red Steel 2 due this winter on the Wii.

The sequel's set in a city in the middle of a desert (great urban planning, dudes), and has "an artistic style and flair created just for Wii." The main draw here is the fact that the game makes full use of Nintendo's Wii MotionPlus technology so that the motion controls feel as natural as they possibly can. MotionPlus, apparently, makes it possible for the game to "sense the strength of a swing" and let you "literally be able to make an impact on your adversaries through power and precision."

"Red Steel was a unique opportunity for Ubisoft to work in tandem with Nintendo to create a title exclusively for the launch of the Wii console," said Tony Key of Ubisoft. "Red Steel 2 is another milestone for the company as it is the first Ubisoft title with full Wii MotionPlus integration."

The new issue of Nintendo Power contains more details, as well as artwork of the new protagonist: a cowboy-samurai hybrid looking fellow with a stylish hat, gigantic sword and a revolver. Yeah, just like shurikens and lighting, you can't go wrong with revolvers and katanas. Or can you? Better get it right this time, Ubisoft.

(GoNintendo [http://gonintendo.com/?p=80828])

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
You said it yourself, the first one was disappointing (although, I didn't play it long).

Why is it getting a sequel? Moreover, why should anyone be excited for it?

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Maybe they'll do it right this time.... LMAO XD like thats gonna happen, it'll probably be a series of minigames

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I actually really enjoyed the first one. More than I did Call of Duty 3. I don't know why either...

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
That was was the first Wii game I played, it set a pretty definitive precedent for any game I've played with Wiimotes.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
If they're using WiimotionPlus, how are you supposed to move?
What are you talking about? You do know MotionPlus does not actually block you from attaching the Nunchuck right? Didn't they clearly show this when they first revealed MotionPlus?

At any rate, keep in mind Red Steel was a launch title, so it's pretty natural it would flonk. This is Ubisoft's chance to redeem the game, and with MotionPlus, actually allow us to play it like it was supposed to.

I suppose the only real problem is that you have to have MotionPlus in the first place.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
YurdleTheTurtle said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
What are you talking about? You do know MotionPlus does not actually block you from attaching the Nunchuck right? Didn't they clearly show this when they first revealed MotionPlus?

At any rate, keep in mind Red Steel was a launch title, so it's pretty natural it would flonk. This is Ubisoft's chance to redeem the game, and with MotionPlus, actually allow us to play it like it was supposed to.

I suppose the only real problem is that you have to have MotionPlus in the first place.
This. Have more faith you people, this could actually turn out pretty good.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
sunami88 said:
You said it yourself, the first one was disappointing (although, I didn't play it long).

I asked the same thing about Killzone, apparently many people were happy with the result.

And that didn't even have ninja cowboys!

Indigo_Dingo said:
No, because they showed it taking the place of the nunchuck, and no material has shown a second port-thingy (Nintendo never adhere to any technical norms with their stuff, do you notice this?) on the back.
Demonstrations to the press have shown that the thing does have a connector on the bottom that the nunchuk can connect to, it was used for those WMP tennis games.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
sunami88 said:

Because that's how things get better. By trial and error. If you don't want the game, then simply don't buy it. There's no reason to forbid a game design company from trying to do a sequel to a game better the second time around.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hey, maybe they'll learn and it'll be good this time. We can do it. JSequels CAN be better.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
The first one wasn't that bad for the first FPS on the system. It was a launch title for crissakes. No machine has good launch titles anymore.
However if this one isn't much better, they have problems.
They need to add either online multiplayer or make the multiplayer maps much smaller. And more interesting guns, the originals were really generic.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
YurdleTheTurtle said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
No, because they showed it taking the place of the nunchuck, and no material has shown a second port-thingy (Nintendo never adhere to any technical norms with their stuff, do you notice this?) on the back.

You can also search up the E3 announcement (Can't remember which one) or look up articles for more info.

But honestly, even without the evidence, I think it's fairly obvious they would have allowed the Nunchuk to attach through MotionPlus anyways. Nintendo may have some odd stuff once in a while, but they're not dumb enough to get rid of the Nunchuk.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I didn't think the first was too bad, really. Sure, it could have been better but there's that much hype surrounding many mainstream titles that it gets harder to live up to that hype.
The first didn't put enough emphasis on the sword play. I think it could be one to watch...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
If they get this one right, I'll be sorely tempted to get a Wii... Red Steel was the title that drew me to the Wii in the first place, and when that bombed I lost interest. If the sequel fixes up the control problems, though, then the same temptation will be back.

Pity I'd have to fork out for the MotionPlus doohickies, though. That drives the price back up into Xbox360/PS3 range.

-- Steve

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
I enjoyed the first one. Good times with 4 player split. Can't wait for this one. Maybe with online play.